Why I stopped listening to music

He's neither right or wrong, he can listen to music or not. It's his choice. It wasn't a good enough reason to make a YouTube vid about.

He's got those Forever Alone Feels.

lol fuck no, I need music man, I already went 3 months without it, sucked ass.

Ugh, made it 20 seconds in. Is this a minute and a half video stretched out to five minutes by sighs and pauses?

I listen to music about 10 times more i a day than watch TV

just found out about NIN's acoustic chicago set yesterday and am listening the shit out of it.

Probably doesn't listen because he enjoys hearing himself talk so much.

Allan Bloom wrote an excellent Chapter in his book The Closing of the American Mind titled Music. In that chapter he unleashes a scathing attack on modern popular music. He brutally destroys Mick Jagger.

From the book:

Picture a thirteen-year-old boy sitting in the living room of his family home doing his math assignment while wearing his Walkman headphones or watching MTV. He enjoys the liberties hard won over centuries by the alliance of philosophic genius and political heroism, consecrated by the blood of martyrs; he is provided with comfort and leisure by the most productive economy ever known to mankind; science has penetrated the secrets of nature in order to provide him with the marvelous, life like electronic sound and image reproduction he is enjoying. And in what does progress culminate? A pubescent child whose body throbs with orgasmic rhythms; whose feelings are made articulate in hymns to the joys of onanism or the killing of parents; whose ambition is to win fame and wealth in imitating the drag-queen who makes the music. In short, life is made into a nonstop, commercially prepackaged masturbational fantasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. No. A thousand times no.

First off, this is some counter-culture, "whatever's popular is wrong" BS. Just because everyone's listening to music and he doesn't doesn't make him some awesome person, it makes him an idiot.

Music enhances life. And if he doesn't want to listen to it, way to go for him, but there is no good reason not to. Especially not one he said.

And one last thing, music is good for catharsis. If I'm pissed I'll listen to something crazy and it'll give me that release so that I don't go off on somebody, same with sadness, or hell, even too much happiness. That "masturbation" he's talking about can be good, unless for some reason he's listening to motivating music and then . . . not doing anything motivated? In which case he's just doing it wrong, and it's on him.

What an idiot.

I listen to music way less often these days. New music is just god awful and I'm getting bored of hearing the same old stuff that I've always listened to. I think I've found 3 decent bands in the last 10 years that I've enjoyed. Mainstream is garbage. There's some stuff on youtube that's decent but a lot of it is just low quality. It's just getting less and less interesting to me.

I think it's why old people tune into talk radio. Can't listen to the new stuff and the old stuff gets boring after a while.

Not good reasons, it seems like he just listened to music for the sake of hearing something(if im in my car ill turn the radio on to hear something). If your truly a music fan, you have your favorite artists and styles, you listen and enjoy. nothing negative about that, now if you play music just for the sake of having music playing, that's weird. but if you play it to listen and get your mental straight, it can be a great thing, not just a filler, but a hobby. this guy probably has no musical talent either which would make sense.

I listen to music way less often these days. New music is just god awful and I'm getting bored of hearing the same old stuff that I've always listened to. I think I've found 3 decent bands in the last 10 years that I've enjoyed. Mainstream is garbage. There's some stuff on youtube that's decent but a lot of it is just low quality. It's just getting less and less interesting to me.

I think it's why old people tune into talk radio. Can't listen to the new stuff and the old stuff gets boring after a while.

Pretty much feel the same way. It's like trying to rifle through tonnes of refuse just to find the smallest bit of something worthwhile.

Listen or don't listen, it's neither right nor wrong. The moral messages contained in certain music may be wrong, if so listen to something else.

The older I get the less I listen to music with lyrics. But music is wonderful.

Music helps with my anxiety so I definitely need it.
Music is a form of expression many can relate to and benefit from.

I never go a day without music. I cannot commute anywhere without listening to music.

Cliffs?

Does he mean he won't listen to "new music" or music all together?

You can't blame me for not watching that

I don't think you can ever say I'm done with "X" forever. At best you take a break from something if you need to. If you never go back then one day you can look back and say "hey, look at that thing I haven't done for awhile."

Back