Why I stopped listening to music

Is this an MGTOW thing? A friend of mine who constantly lurks /fit told me he was going to do this the other day.

I don't mind the idea at all. Disengaging from the constant stream of influence coming your way from every direction every day can be good for self-development. You can't know yourself if you're never in a position to hear your own voice.

i don't agree with that at all. ask a musician, and he or she will have a completely different point of view. there is a lot more to music than simply, "feeling". take classical music, as an example. you can listen to it for the feeling-alone, but the structure and complexity of the music will completely go over your head.

you are really missing out if you only perceive music based only on feeling.

ugh, I have played the guitar since 6 years old (oh the memories of playing shoe fly don't bother me). Most people are not musicians so most of them are not thinking about music theory and structure, only what it makes them feel. Which is kind of the coolest thing about art is how it makes the viewer feel.

"Music usually brings up what you feel inside as opposed to what an author or movie maker is telling you about certain characters."
This is what I said.

Say when a girl dumps you, what do most people do? Play certain songs. It is not really watch X movie. X movie is too much about characters and plot
where music doesn't have the visuals and lots of the words do not make sense in a narrative manner.

All of you points are about the worst possible kind of music. And even that's not that bad. I can listen to Eminem and not hit women simply because he (sarcastically) glorifies it. I don't think you have enough faith in humanity. Certainly, some girls will hear "Blank Space" and not realize that it's a joke, but most do. Just because some people don't know how to distinguish reality from fiction doesn't mean we should stop indulging in fiction.

As toward the cult-like following some bands have, that can be gained through anything. People worship sports teams, politicians, individual fighters, and anything else they deem significant. We're naturally programmed to idolize things (whether by the evolutionary need to not contemplate existence or by a god is immaterial), and some people choose music. Once again, it's not the fault of the vast majority that a select few screw up a good thing.

Should we be wary of music? Maybe. But not listening it entirely is like never eating food again because some food is poisonous.

That is a really good response! :)

PIkprkZ.gif

What were his reasons? I don't really listen to modern music that much, but I'm loving the crap out of 50's and 60's jazz right now. Tastes change with age.

ugh, I have played the guitar since 6 years old (oh the memories of playing shoe fly don't bother me). Most people are not musicians so most of them are not thinking about music theory and structure, only what it makes them feel. Which is kind of the coolest thing about art is how it makes the viewer feel.

"Music usually brings up what you feel inside as opposed to what an author or movie maker is telling you about certain characters."
This is what I said.

Say when a girl dumps you, what do most people do? Play certain songs. It is not really watch X movie. X movie is too much about characters and plot
where music doesn't have the visuals and lots of the words do not make sense in a narrative manner.

I read romance novels and buy a pint of ice cream when I get dumped.

There's some book that I haven't read that talks about how everyone has a "natural" rhythm. So when someone's dancing out of beat, they're not, actually. They're just in beat with their "natural" beat. I'm not sure how this relates to the video, especially since I haven't watched it. Seems appropriate to mention a book I haven't read in reference to a video I haven't watched.

In the meantime,

He sounds/looks depressed.

No surprise there.

Absolute bullshit. I have stood in hours long line at a club because a DJ was playing there and could have went to another club with just as many hot girls and people and space with a 15 minute line.

I have to think if you like music X, that all things being equal, you would want to go to a club that played music X and not country or whatever shit you hated.

Fair point, I shouldn't have said "no one." I recognize that there's something to be said for live music, but I'd also argue that the negative aspects that people see in clubs are not caused by the music there. I think that they would be there if there was no music there.

e0uHOeb.jpg

Did this dude just wake up from a nap, hair all poking out, and make a shitty youtube video?

What the hell are you supposed to listen to while doing chores/straightening up on weekend? Silence?

Music is like an interesting background thing. Like ketchup on a hotdog.
Would never eat ketchup by itself, its be a waste of time.

e0uHOeb.jpg

Did this dude just wake up from a nap, hair all poking out, and make a shitty youtube video?

What the hell are you supposed to listen to while doing chores/straightening up on weekend? Silence?

embrace your inner chakra.

(not me though)

I hate to crush his whole quote but
rap is not music

Just a bunch of asshole talking (not singing) over reused and leftover beats.

Rap, or spoken word to a beat, is one of the, if not THE baseline form of music at its most fundamental level. Chanting, calling in the absence of instruments is something that most cultures of the world have engaged in, if not still engaged in to varying degrees.

From another perspective, the recitation of epic deeds in the form of poetry to celebrate alpha level shit by warriors, meant for other men is an ancient tradition that goes back to Beowulf, the Iliad and Gilgamesh. There's a lot evidence to indicate that in Beowulf and the Iliad would have been sung, with accompanying music.

And if you think reusing beats and chords is something that only happens in rap or is something that rap does more or more egregiously than many other genres of music, then you should pay more attention to what you're listening to.

If you don't like rap, that's fine, but to say that rap its many subgenres aren't music is to say that you're not student of human history and the human condition.

Last edited:
"This genre of music isn't music" - someone who knows very little about music

Allan Bloom wrote an excellent Chapter in his book The Closing of the American Mind titled Music. In that chapter he unleashes a scathing attack on modern popular music. He brutally destroys Mick Jagger.

From the book:

Allan Bloom sounds like his head is firmly stuck up his arse

Allan Bloom sounds like his head is firmly stuck up his arse

To be fair to Bloom, he was referring only to popular music. I really don't think he is wrong when he calls popular mainstream music a "commercially prepackaged masturbational fantasy."

It's hard for me to argue with Bloom's conclusion when I spent a significant amount of time as a teenager fapping to the music videos featured on Much Music Canada. The Spice Girls were a particular favorite of mine at the time.

I could live without music easily.

I fast forward every scene in every movie I've ever watched where they sing or dance. I've never bought a cd in my life.

I hate people who always have headphones on. I don't know why.

This is what I said.

no one is saying that people don't listen to music for the feeling. all i'm saying, is that there are other ways of looking at music as well. since you apparently played the guitar, you should know this. i think i'm being trolled lol.

Back