Why I stopped listening to music

Big lol at this guy. Listened for about a minute, then remembered why I love music.

Last edited:
I can't listen to more than a minute of that, but I have to say that I don't buy or listen to anywhere near as much music as I used to.

I have never downloaded music (unless it's rare stuff or live stuff) and although I have thousands of cds, I haven't bought a new one in about 8 months.
I haven't seen a band live in about 8 months either.
I listen to music on my mp3 player a lot when i'm out and about, but that's the same list of songs really.

For me it's because i'm really into/passionate about other things, in particularly movies, football/soccer and MMA.
And I find I just don't find the time to dedicate the time i'd like to music on top of that, so i've had to neglect music.

For him they are, evidently.

It's irritating to me listening to this guy as he really really wants to be such an insightful, intellectual guy and thinks if he jumps head first into being mindful and present people will applaud his wisdom and thought.

I listen to music a lot and sometimes I don't, personal music taste or current trends have no importance in what this guy was saying. Being able to be mindful of your surroundings and enjoy being present with your thoughts is great but not all the time. Having music in your life doesn't really stop you from doing this as it is easy to just stop. I dunno why this guy bugged me but it just reminds me of this image.

sheeple.png

Music used to occupy much of my free time but I have been drifting away from it.
Audiobooks and too much awful music killed my interest quite a bit.
But I discover a gem here and there.

Allan Bloom wrote an excellent Chapter in his book The Closing of the American Mind titled Music. In that chapter he unleashes a scathing attack on modern popular music. He brutally destroys Mick Jagger.

From the book:

I hate to crush his whole quote but
rap is not music

Just a bunch of asshole talking (not singing) over reused and leftover beats.

I wont watch this shit.

I needs my tunes!

Is he going to use his newly gained time for MMA fights in Angkor Wat and Machu Piccu?

Seems like an over reaction to stop listening to music all together.

I get what he's saying about people being too absorbed in whatever they're listening to instead of paying attention to their surroundings, but listening to NO music at all seems a bit extreme.

I do try and have the odd day where I don't listen to anything on the way to work. It's quite relaxing.

I bet people are tripping over themselves to invite him to parties....

So basically he's got a problem with headphones and people "preaching" to him or some shit? That's no reason at all.

what this guy is talking about is becoming unplugged (or less technologically driven) to an extent. its not about the music. its about technology. performing a total blackout on one type tech isn't the answer. scaling back your consumption of everything is. cut back on tv. don't watch movies. stop watching videos of yourself talking about what youre going to cut out of your life. music is something you can consume while you enjoy your life. it doesn't kill you. its not a hindrance. it envigorates and inspires you. this man swearing off music will make about as much of a difference in the world as one man deciding to boycott gas pumps for one day will.

I'd be lost without music. I listen to music in the car everywhere I go, and listen to headphones all day at work. When I get home and have leisure time sometimes I don't even put on the TV I just put on music and relax on the couch.

I can pretty easily control my mood just by what kind of music I listen to. Sometimes if I'm sad, angry, etc I listen to sad or angry music, and other times when I'm sad or angry I listen to music that's the opposite of those emotions to pull myself out of them. I use music for inspiration, motivation, connecting with my emotions, even to express myself to others. A lot of times the right song can let a person know how you're feeling better than you could using your own words. These are all amazing things about music.

I've always been into music but never more so than I am now. I'll agree that most top-100 pop and FM radio is terrible these days (and was probably terrible when I listened to them as a kid but I didn't know any better), but there's soon much more out there if you just look for it. With the internet, Pandora and Spotify around finding new artists and expanding your musical tastes has never been easier. I have thousands of songs on my computer/iphone and a monthly subscription to spotify. Discovering new music has even sort of become a hobby for me.

I sing and play in a band too. Taught myself guitar a year ago and put together the band about 6 months ago. It's such a great outlet. As someone mentioned already, this self-righteous douche probably has zero musical skills.

I will listen to a cover of a good song every once in a while but haven't turned the radio on in my truck for months. I don't even like overhearing someone else's radio especially if it's loud. I'd rather focus on what I'm doing than have a constant distraction around me. I liken it to an annoying person trying to get my attention.

Back