Why GSP goat will die out soon.

If you make a thread and ask people to make a Top 10 all time MMA list I can almost guarantee you Hughes will be all over the place. The guy had 2 title reigns for a total 7 defenses.

True, but there aren't that many GOATS. People just make top-5 lists.

Also GSP is not your every day guy. He has massive thighs, for blasting double legs, he's very athletic, and he was a huge WW.

I agree except for the part where Georges is a huge WW. He really isn't. Also, I want to add that even more than GSP's physical attributes, his fight I.Q. may be the highest I've ever seen. He doesn't make mistakes very often.

Fedor
Gsp
Dc
Khabib
Dj/Aldo

Khabib has beaten 2 top 5 guys ever and 4 ranked opponents ever.

He's literally 12 ranked opponents behind GSP and even guys like Chuck, Wand, Shogun, Rampage, BJ, Randy etc have over twice the amount of ranked wins he has.

True, but there aren't that many GOATS. People just make top-5 lists.

We aren't talking about GOAT lists, most people consider the GOATS the big 4 of Fedor, Bones, GSP, Anderson. We're talking Top 10 MMA fighters. Most lists get to Hughes around 7 or 8.

Khabib has beaten 2 top 5 guys ever and 4 ranked opponents ever.

He's literally 12 ranked opponents behind GSP and even guys like Chuck, Wand, Shogun, Rampage, BJ, Randy etc have over twice the amount of ranked wins he has.

You tell me, which of these is the most impressive. Khabib is not even in the same classification as GSP.

26-2, Currently on a 13 fight win streak (2nd longest in history), a total 13 title fight wins (Most in UFC history) and currently 11 consecutive title fight wins. Most Top 5 wins in history.
27-0, Currently on an 11 fight win streak, 2 title fight wins

Fedor, Anderson, Jones, Aldo, DC > GSP

GSP also has the most boring highlight reel and fights among GOAT contenders. No one will want to rewatch his 5 round snoozefests 20 years from now.

You can't put Aldo before GSP.

Was he more exciting? Of course, but he is not ahead of GSP.

I agree except for the part where Georges is a huge WW. He really isn't. Also, I want to add that even more than GSP's physical attributes, his fight I.Q. may be the highest I've ever seen. He doesn't make mistakes very often.

Yeah, he had (unified rules) MMA mastered. Before the knee injury. When he was tired in fights (towards the end of his career) he looked more human. Without a doubt he's the best MMA wrestler in MMA history. Edit: When he couldn't take Hendricks down, he didn't look like a GOAT. His timing of takedowns was amazing.

I checked his book out of the library and read some of it, I was hoping for some old stories about TKO, but it was all about his training and mentality.

To me, what really set him apart was his devotion to the sport. Everything he did revolved around being the best at MMA. He was like a robot. I say was because I really don't know how hard he trains and how committed he is now, simply because I don't read his interviews or anything.

Last edited:
LOL did not read. But TS usually are butt hurt over GSP.
Is normal.
And the first reply is from the other notorious butthurt billy letalhands

Yeah, he had (unified rules) MMA mastered. Before the knee injury. When he was tired in fights (towards the end of his career) he looked more human.

I checked his book out of the library and read some of it, I was hoping for some old stories about TKO, but it was all about his training and mentality.

To me, what really set him apart was his devotion to the sport. Everything he did revolved around being the best at MMA. He was like a robot. I say was because I really don't know how hard he trains and how committed he is now, simply because I don't read his interviews or anything.

People around GSP say he's always been obssessive about training. So much so that it wore him out and made him retire from the sport. Even after he retired he was still training and in the gym constantly for the 4 years he was away.

People around GSP say he's always been obssessive about training. So much so that it wore him out and made him retire from the sport. Even after he retired he was still training and in the gym constantly for the 4 years he was away.

I don't doubt that.

I think his knee injury was a factor too. He was a very different fighter against Bisping. He said he went back to basics (which I assume means, focus on his karate more) I think he took time off to reinvent himself, since his knees affected his wrestling.

The biggest problem for GSP goat sayers is that he doesn’t have a good highlight reel. .
You'll have to define what you consider a 'highlight'
If it's just knock outs than sure (may as well watch boxing than). But if you are making a mixed martial arts highlight reel . You could make many off of Georges fights he does everything at top level

I’m sure it keeps GSP up at night wondering what you think.
obviously does...
he came back and all he talks about is his "legacy", despite the fact he is only cherry picking fights/fighters and by doing that he is destroying his own legacy.
GOAT does not cherry pick. They take on challenges.

How many times has GSP kept you awake at night TS? Nice try though

obviously does...
he came back and all he talks about is his "legacy", despite the fact he is only cherry picking fights/fighters and by doing that he is destroying his own legacy.
GOAT does not cherry pick. They take on challenges.
Yes, he seems so scared to lose that he didn’t take chances. Didn’t take chances in fights to finish his opponent when he was in dominant control and didn’t take chances with facing toughest competition. He cleaned out the WW division and always talked about fighting Anderson, always talked about going up to MW.

Retiring so quickly again when asked to face Whittaker (former WW) I think really left a sour taste for his “legacy”.

I wish he was more bold and daring. He could’ve been doing Conor numbers before Conor existed. I think his ego could not handle a loss though.

Yeah because GSP was smart enough to not fight way past his prime and sabotage his own legacy

As someone who both appreciates and studies technical martial arts skill, there's no fighter whose old fights I watch more than GSP's

Impatient fans who only want to see blood and gore don't appreciate GSP's fight IQ and technique

Is normal

technique without effectiveness is pointless. people didn't invent martial arts to win decisions. There are a lot of technical fighters that finish their opponents. I still think GSP is the WW goat but that is one of his downsides when it comes to his fights.

GSP haters be like

107t2jc.jpg

He's the GOAT. Deal wit it.
In the past you would get 40 likes for this instantaneously. Things are changing and his legacy building tactics are exposed. Gif reply of GSP is never of him fighting, ever notice that?

Yes, he seems so scared to lose that he didn’t take chances. Didn’t take chances in fights to finish his opponent when he was in dominant control and didn’t take chances with facing toughest competition. He cleaned out the WW division and always talked about fighting Anderson, always talked about going up to MW.

Retiring so quickly again when asked to face Whittaker (former WW) I think really left a sour taste for his “legacy”.

I wish he was more bold and daring. He could’ve been doing Conor numbers before Conor existed. I think his ego could not handle a loss though.
Well, I wouldn't go that far.
He did face everyone at WW during his reign.
But yeah, he didn't take many chances to end a fight. My biggest disappointment was when he broke Kos's orbital bone on first round and did nothing but jab him for 4 more rounds.
That disappointed me, as Kos was clearly ready to give up, but GSP never offered any way out.

And I don't blame him for retiring. I mean it was his right.
But I didn't like how he came back, making a whole division (which at the time was great) wait for him for one fucking year and then (despite signing a contract stating he would fight Whittaker) he just run away.
And now he is calling out Khabib (instead of either facing WHittaker or Woodley).

IMO this quest for legacy is hurting him more than helping.

lol so what does that mean for lesser guys like Aldo and Silva?

Nevermind, we're in 2018 and there are already guys closing in on surpassing them.

By 2019, there will be new MW and FW GOATs.

Easy to surpass guys that aren't 2 weight div champs and had to call the cops on drug testers, drop urine samples on purpose and juice to fight lower weight class fighters.

Actually more new fighters today have modeled there career's after GSP than any other GOAT contenders. Fighters like T.Woodly, Aldo, and Kevin Lee to name a few.

Nobody is training to be the next Anderson Silva because his skills and talent were unique, they relied heavily on a good chin, great reflexes, KO power and good speed, these are natural traits that any aspiring MMA'ist will be genetically handicapped from ever achieving.

Jon Jones is a tall fighter, with incredible reach, he uses his physical attributes incredibly well, and it makes him unique in that regard where a very small portion of the population are even capable of emulating him.

GSP is 5'10, between 180-190lbs, hes your every day guy, you dont need natural 1 punch KO power to be him, you dont need to have incredible reflexes, you don't need massive reach advantages, or be incredibly fast.

Thats what makes GSP the GOAT, is he's the guy who accomplished everything through work ethic alone, he's not the best grappler ( leo Santos submitted him in a 1:30 mins in a grappling match), not the best wrestler, not the best striker. He literally doesnt hold a single defining aspect that is superior to all his opponents. But he's mixes it up the best, his "boring" style is understood and copied by Aldo and TWoods because they can appreciate the intelligence behind it.

There is no fighter today who has had as great an impact on future aspiring practioners than GSP, who is the blue print for success in this sport.

Keyboard warriors will continue to disparage him, but its the kids in the gym that will watch GSP, and understand why he's the best, and will forever remain the GOAT because of it.

Great post!

Yeah because GSP was smart enough to not fight way past his prime and sabotage his own legacy

As someone who both appreciates and studies technical martial arts skill, there's no fighter whose old fights I watch more than GSP's

Impatient fans who only want to see blood and gore don't appreciate GSP's fight IQ and technique

Is normal

And idiotic fans don’t hold it against a great fighter if they happen to lose a few on the downside of thei career.

Back