• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why giving Cody Garbrandt an immediate rematch is a terrible idea.

Again...

You saying a lot but aren't giving any alternatives

I guess we just leave a healthy champion on the shelf

Give the shot to Moraes or Rivera. Cancel their fight and give them new opponents.

I'd rather see Cruz fight TJ again than Cody

TJ is scared. Cody destroyed TJ in rd1, and was piecing him up in the second. TJ got a lucky shot in and that's that. Cody wins the rematch in a thriller.

it isn't like Cody was some longtime, dominant champ who 'deserves' an immediate rematch for the belt.

Cody got stopped in his first defense, and he should have to get back in line and at least beat another contender first, IMHO.

First round was relatively even early, Cody made an adjustment, started landing, hurt TJ and almost KO'd him but ran out of time

Second round TJ made an adjustment after talking to Ludwig, hurt Cody and had enough time left to finish the fight

He didn't figure Cody out completely, he made an intelligent in fight adjustment similar to what Cody did early and took full advantage of the time where Cody hadn't adjusted to what he was doing yet. With a full training camp to prep for what TJ did in that second round Cody can come into the second fight prepared for it and who knows what will happen. What TJ did wasn't some brilliant strategic discovery that ends Cody's career. Ludwig just realized Cody wasn't leading AT ALL and told TJ to stop setting everything up and giving Cody time to look for counters and to just overload him with information by setting up some kicks and just blasting others through first shot. Then he just beat an already wobbled Cody to the punch in a pocket exchange

I agree it shouldn't be an immediate rematch. Cody should earn his way back to a title fight the same way TJ had to. I don't agree at all that TJ just has Cody figured out now and will beat him the exact same way again. Cody is more than capable to adjust to the changes TJ made in the second round that caught him. If he had made it back to the stool between rounds in the last fight and his coaches had told him to stop only waiting on counters and to actually lead from time to time he might well have put TJ down in the third... it was just that kind of fight. Razor thin margin for error for both guys and decided on great adjustments and fortunate circumstance, not one man being better or completely figuring their opponent out.

I'm not a fan of Cody Garbrandt, and was rooting for TJ in their fight, but since the whole UFC 222 thing went down and the UFC squashed the potential TJ/DJ fight Bang Ludwig has suggested that the UFC want Cody Garbrandt to win the title back.

That's probably true, he's a young, good looking dude with an exciting fighting style and KO power, but even though I'm not a fan of him it would be a terrible idea to give him an immediate rematch.

TJ pretty much had him figured out in round 2, at Kickboxing range Cody's boxing centric style was rendered pretty much useless, and although you can't count someone as good as Cody I'd favour TJ a lot in an immediate rematch.

But TJ is 32 years old, he only turned pro in 2010 so he doesn't have a lot of miles on him but he's in his prime right now, Cody is only 26 years old and has years left to improve.

If they wait 2-3 years for Cody to enter his prime and TJ to start to decline, I'd favour Cody in a rematch, that's why an immediate rematch would be a terrible idea for the UFC right now.
YMC6hSf.gif

source.gif

I agree with the sentiment that it shouldn't be an immediate rematch and that Cruz should have been given the first crack at TJ.

Last edited:
an immediate rematch is fucking stupid.

dude didn't have a single title defense, and got knocked out.

immediate rematches are only okay if it was a dominant champ with multiple title defenses, like joanna.

why you like Cody so much ?
I'm not a fan by any stretch, but I could see the appeal. He's unusually heavy handed for bantamweight and has the wrestling to keep it on the feet or adapt when a fight isn't going his way.

Give the shot to Moraes or Rivera. Cancel their fight and give them new opponents.

I'd rather see Cruz fight TJ again than Cody
They aren't gonna just cancel their main event for a card

Cruz hasn't fought in forever and the last time he did he got completely outclassed by the guy you're saying doesn't deserve it, I have no interest in that fight, Cody X TJ II is a far better fight imo

Cody might not deserve it but if he doesn't then neither does Cruz, TJ will have to fight one of those 2 imo, the UFC need title fights and aren't just gonna let TJ wait for the Jimmy/Marlon winner...Guess it just comes down to which undeserving contender you'd rather see

I'd rather see Cody
You'd rather see Cruz

Wait a few years until TJ is on the decline? How much shit would you eat just to peek at Cody’s ass?

This is the kind of thinking that didn’t let Wand vs Chuck happen when they were at their best.

The rematch will be much better if they let it build up a bit first. MMA fans need to be reminded what a lethal fighter Cody is and TJ should legitimize his title by fighting a few other guys first. Cody is young enough and barring any monumental fuckups or some type of 135 god appearing out of nowhere will certainly be champ again. I want to see Cody vs TJ when both are still good but I absolutely agree that an immediate rematch is not the way to go for several reasons.

I'm not a fan of Cody Garbrandt, and was rooting for TJ in their fight, but since the whole UFC 222 thing went down and the UFC squashed the potential TJ/DJ fight Bang Ludwig has suggested that the UFC want Cody Garbrandt to win the title back.

That's probably true, he's a young, good looking dude with an exciting fighting style and KO power, but even though I'm not a fan of him it would be a terrible idea to give him an immediate rematch.

TJ pretty much had him figured out in round 2, at Kickboxing range Cody's boxing centric style was rendered pretty much useless, and although you can't count someone as good as Cody I'd favour TJ a lot in an immediate rematch.

But TJ is 32 years old, he only turned pro in 2010 so he doesn't have a lot of miles on him but he's in his prime right now, Cody is only 26 years old and has years left to improve.

If they wait 2-3 years for Cody to enter his prime and TJ to start to decline, I'd favour Cody in a rematch, that's why an immediate rematch would be a terrible idea for the UFC right now.

well since dj is ducking fighting tj it makes scene. the ufc can market it well as a comain event and just let cody and tj yell at each other.

Wait a few years until TJ is on the decline? How much shit would you eat just to peek at Cody’s ass?

This is the kind of thinking that didn’t let Wand vs Chuck happen when they were at their best.
I should have mentioned that I'm speaking from the UFC's point of view, they want Cody to have the belt, he has a much better chance of beating TJ in 2 or 3 years than in an immediate rematch imo.

If they rematch and he loses he'll be in limbo for a while.

I'm not even a fan of Cody.

it's would be a bad decision IMO. not a "terrible decision", but just one more in a string of recent decisions that go against the general norm of how title shots historically work. my answer is two part, and neither puts the blame on Cody (or other fighters).

1. historically the UFC has made lots of bad decisions around title fights. when it suits them, they make bouts that go against the general principals of rankings within prize fighting. fighters know this, therefore they petition the UFC to be the next 'exception to the rule'. UFC can stop this hogwash any time they want, by implementing and then sticking to sensible policies around title shots.

2. when a #2 fights a #4 for 5 figures, fights for a title for 6 figures, and fights as a champ for 7 figures, top 5 fighters are financially dis-incentivized to compete against other top 5 fighters.

until UFC solves these 2 issues, expect fighters to continue to attempt shortcuts to title shots. frankly, they'd be doing themselves a disservice not to.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned that I'm speaking from the UFC's point of view, they want Cody to have the belt, he has a much better chance of beating TJ in 2 or 3 years than in an immediate rematch imo.

If they rematch and he loses he'll be in limbo for a while.

I'm not even a fan of Cody.
From the UFC’s point of view, you nailed it.

I agree, unless it was a long reigning champion.
Even then, if they get fucking smoked then they need to come back and win a fight before getting a rematch. The only time I wouldn't be upset with an immediate rematch is a controversial decision or stoppage, or a case where the champion and the contender are 1-1 against each other. Eg. Fighter A beats fighter B, goes on to win the title ... then some point down the road Fighter B challenges for the title and beats Fighter A ... putting together an immediate rematch/rubbermatch in the scenario could make sense too.

Dillashaw's coach believes UFC is pushing Garbrandt as champion. Is that guy a draw or something?

youre acting like this is set in stone matchup. Jimmie is next for the strap you dweeb

Back