• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why giving Cody Garbrandt an immediate rematch is a terrible idea.

Megalodon

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Cody Garbrandt, and was rooting for TJ in their fight, but since the whole UFC 222 thing went down and the UFC squashed the potential TJ/DJ fight Bang Ludwig has suggested that the UFC want Cody Garbrandt to win the title back.

That's probably true, he's a young, good looking dude with an exciting fighting style and KO power, but even though I'm not a fan of him it would be a terrible idea to give him an immediate rematch.

TJ pretty much had him figured out in round 2, at Kickboxing range Cody's boxing centric style was rendered pretty much useless, and although you can't count someone as good as Cody I'd favour TJ a lot in an immediate rematch.

But TJ is 32 years old, he only turned pro in 2010 so he doesn't have a lot of miles on him but he's in his prime right now, Cody is only 26 years old and has years left to improve.

If they wait 2-3 years for Cody to enter his prime and TJ to start to decline, I'd favour Cody in a rematch, that's why an immediate rematch would be a terrible idea for the UFC right now.

The first fight was close.

If Cody had 10 more seconds in that 1st round, he may have put TJ away.

That said, if Cody loses a 2nd time he's stuck in JDS, Benavidez, soon to be Boogeywoman territory.

Let Cody fight a Sterling or Assuncao type before rematching for the gold

Last edited:
I don't think TJ 'figured him out' necessarily. They both had moments where they could have out each other away. TJ just happened to get it done.

Immediate title shots after a decisive first fight are a bad idea, period. The UFC loves them though.

mandatory post about cody garbrandt being a closet fairy

Immediate title shots after a decisive first fight are a bad idea, period. The UFC loves them though.

I agree, and especially immediate rematches for a champion who never successfully defended.

The fight was good & i was hyped for the first fight but the issue i have with an immediate rematch is that the division is very stacked at the top and fresh matchups are always better.

Lmao what. Both guys had success, both guys got caught. TJ was just able to put him away, Cody wasn't.

It's a fuckin' great match up. Why wouldn't you want to see it? Any combination of TJ/Dom/Cody is a good idea always. In a day and age where we never get the good title matches because of all this diva shit going on, we should be jumping at the potential of seeing ones like this. I don't wanna see Cody climb the ladder again just to have TJ decide he wants to hold out for more money or fight DJ or some shit.

Immediate rematches are for very close wars that go to a decision. Not 1st/2nd round KO's /Subs

You say it shouldn't be Cody but give no suitable alternative

DJ not fighting TJ
Rivera busy with Moraes
Dom busy trying to be the smartest man in the commentary booth...Also coming off a L (to Cody) and hasn't fought in well over a year

Who should TJ fight?
Just leave a healthy champ on the shelf?

TJ should refuse the fight imo it was a competitive fight but build up the rematch instead of immediately booking it.

Let Cody fight Cruz again and let TJ fight the winner of Riveria/Morales

You say it shouldn't be Cody but give no suitable alternative

DJ not fighting TJ
Rivera busy with Moraes
Dom busy trying to be the smartest man in the commentary booth...Also coming off a L (to Cody) and hasn't fought in well over a year

Who should TJ fight?
Just leave a healthy champ on the shelf?

TJ loss his title by a razor edge decision after multiple title defenses and had to fight 2 top 10 guys before getting another shot. Cody got knocked out and never defended his belt.

Horrible rematch imo

TJ should refuse the fight imo it was a competitive fight but build up the rematch instead of immediately booking it.

Let Cody fight Cruz again and let TJ fight the winner of Riveria/Morales
I would rather see a rematch with Cruz before giving Cody a rematch. But if they want to do Cruz/Cody again fist, thats still better then Cody getting an immediate rematch.

Assuncao has a win over TJ and he is actually on a winning streak. He should be next. If not, then pull Rivera and find someone else to fight Moraes. Even Cruz would be a better option than Cody since he didnt get ktfo by TJ when they fought

When you have two of the top P4P fighters in the entire sport, in the same division, in their prime, the more times they fight the better. I'm all for the rematch. First fight was great and I suspect any fight between these two to be fireworks.

TJ loss his title by a razor edge decision after multiple title defenses and had to fight 2 top 10 guys before getting another shot. Cody got knocked out and never defended his belt.

Horrible rematch imo
Again...

You saying a lot but aren't giving any alternatives

I guess we just leave a healthy champion on the shelf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back