Why get a dog?

i've never been a pet-person, even when my family had a dog and i was still living at home. so i can't really sympathize, but i'm sure it has to be rough. my youngest brother took it hard when our dog died. he was the first one to find him dead. it broke his heart.

hope time makes the loss a bit less painful.

It's tough man, condolences. Getting a new dog is always an adventure. I prefer adopting, best to get one that has lived with a foster family for several months, so they can give you an accurate picture of its personality. It can be kind of a crap shoot if you get a dog straight out of the pound.

Nothing beats waking up to this every morning

10369745_10152472101792728_2762336081025597443_n.jpg

i kicked a girls dog once cause he was scratching himself on my bed

The emotional bond you have with a dog is way stronger then you'll ever have with a cat, goldfish, parakeet, guinea pig or any other kind of pet you can get. A dog is willing to risk his life to protect you if it came down to it.

Plus all of the other animals for the most stay at home while you can take a dog out to the park or just along in the car with you while you run errands.

I used to take my parrot everywhere. His wings weren't clipped and I never kept him on a leash and he never flew away

i have had dogs before, i just haven't had one recently. Im looking for a medium size dog, that doesn't requite a massive amount of work (example huskies are a pain), I will of course walk it multiple times a day and i love to play with dogs. So im just looking for a good size dog that likes attention, also i don't mind shedding, it needs to get along with my cats to lol. So far a collie is a top pick, but im still looking

From what I've seen, Collies are great with cats. My grandpa has one and it has always loved playing and being around his couple of cats. Sometimes the dog puts his mouth around the cat like, "Yeah, I could eat you... But I like you."

i kicked a girls dog once cause he was scratching himself on my bed

You were cool with her dog being on your bed, but not cool with him scratching an itch? You're a dumbass.

It's tough man, condolences. Getting a new dog is always an adventure. I prefer adopting, best to get one that has lived with a foster family for several months, so they can give you an accurate picture of its personality. It can be kind of a crap shoot if you get a dog straight out of the pound.

Nothing beats waking up to this every morning

10369745_10152472101792728_2762336081025597443_n.jpg

So. Damn. Cute.

Why know a person? They will die too.

The double-sided coin of fear & relief is, so will you.

My take is, even though we as creatures experience time in a linear way, we should not let the death of a loved one define them for us. All of the good times and love you shared with an individual, pet or person, all of those many moments are just as real as the few near the end, that sucked so bad. Crying is natural, and mourning is good. But once the dust settles, if you are to truly remember them in an accurate way, then you owe it to the reality of them to remember an avalanche of good memories, and only a handful of shit ones. And you get a new dog eventually, or keep making new friends, for the simple reason that they are still here, and so are you. And shared love eases shared suffering. RIP to your pup

This guy pretty much said exactly what I planned on saying... just in a much more articulate way.

Sorry for you loss, op. About 6 years ago I had to put my 12 year old dog down. He had a tumor at the back of his mouth that ended up being about 3/4 the size of a tennis ball. It got the the point where he was starting to struggling with eating and drinking, and would go through these awful coughing attacks like he was trying to clear the tumor from his throat. I still remember the sound to this day. We had a vet come to our house and put him down. My dog even greeted the veterinarian at the door with excitement and a wagging tail. That was heart wrenching and I felt like I was betraying my best friend of 12 years at that moment. He died in my arms that night.

It sucks and it was probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my entire life. Both my parents have died yet this one seems to sting the hardest for me.

But like it was said above... I remember the good memories more than the bad ones. My dog taught me about friendship and loyalty, traits that I carry strongly to this day. Most of my friends were shit heads back then so my dog was my true companion.

I questioned whether I'd ever get another dog again after that... I actually said I'd never do it, yet a few years later I found myself with 3. It's worth it to fill the void that they leave behind with love for another one. If you're the type of person that can provide a great life for a dog that needs it - it's totally the right thing to do again... when you're ready.

Had to put my boxer down 2 months ago. She developed a seizure disorder that we treated as best we could for about 6 months until the last cluster of seizures that wrecked her. Carried her into the vet and comforted her until i saw the light leave her eyes. Its devastating to lose a dog,..i have another 8 year old boxer and i dread the day ill have to say goodbye. There's nothing wrong with getting another though...it'll lift everyone spirits.

My dog turned 12 in June and still seems to be going strong. He sometimes drives me crazy but it will really hurt when he dies.

One of my dogs just passed away. Took him to get cremated at the vet yesterday. I'm so depressed. His brother, Peanut, is going nuts looking for him. He's been sick ever since he was a puppy. He's been getting seizures for as long as I can remember. He's been to the vet countless times. The good news is that he's lived til almost 10 years old and we've spoiled the hell out of him.

I woke up yesterday and saw him laying down. I thought he was sleeping, but he wouldn't respond. I just sat there next to him and his brother wouldn't leave his side. So depressing. My wife and daughter cried their eyes out and I had a hard time trying not to cry.

This was him a few years back with his stuffed teddy bear toy he's had since he was a pup.

RIP Jingle.

muKvo.jpg

mVsoF.jpg

Sorry to hear it man. Losing animals we love is never easy, but to answer your question "why get a dog?"

"It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all."

Sorry for your loss WoW. You'll get over it. Time heals all wounds. It's gonna hurt like crap for a while, some recover quickers then others.

But that just means he brought a lot of good times to your life. That's how you should remember him.

Sorry for your loss TS

I recently got a puppy. First dog in eons.

Sorry for your loss, TS.

One of my dogs just passed away. Took him to get cremated at the vet yesterday. I'm so depressed. His brother, Peanut, is going nuts looking for him. He's been sick ever since he was a puppy. He's been getting seizures for as long as I can remember. He's been to the vet countless times. The good news is that he's lived til almost 10 years old and we've spoiled the hell out of him.

I woke up yesterday and saw him laying down. I thought he was sleeping, but he wouldn't respond. I just sat there next to him and his brother wouldn't leave his side. So depressing. My wife and daughter cried their eyes out and I had a hard time trying not to cry.

This was him a few years back with his stuffed teddy bear toy he's had since he was a pup.

RIP Jingle.

muKvo.jpg

mVsoF.jpg

Bye Jingle. He looks totally adorable. I have a corgi and I know I'll be a wreck for days when the time comes (hopefully not for a long time). First dog I've owned and I'm in my 40's now. It surprised me how she managed to insinuate herself in my life (much moreso than cats, which I've owned for years).

Good news is no more suffering now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back