Why get a dog?

WorldofWarcraft

Holy Paladin
Banned
Reaction score
One of my dogs just passed away. Took him to get cremated at the vet yesterday. I'm so depressed. His brother, Peanut, is going nuts looking for him. He's been sick ever since he was a puppy. He's been getting seizures for as long as I can remember. He's been to the vet countless times. The good news is that he's lived til almost 10 years old and we've spoiled the hell out of him.

I woke up yesterday and saw him laying down. I thought he was sleeping, but he wouldn't respond. I just sat there next to him and his brother wouldn't leave his side. So depressing. My wife and daughter cried their eyes out and I had a hard time trying not to cry.

This was him a few years back with his stuffed teddy bear toy he's had since he was a pup.

RIP Jingle.

muKvo.jpg

mVsoF.jpg

losing any animal is hard, but losing a kind and loving dog is even harder. My mom lost her dog she had for around 15 years and she was literally depressed for a while and still talks about her (even years after), and my grandma got depressed after losing hers and after the dog died her health rapidly declined and she passed away in 2013. Losing a pet is hard, but losing a dog can be even more severe from my family experiences.

Condolences

I have always wanted a dog. My life style of traveling would not be fair to the dog though.

Why know a person? They will die too.

The double-sided coin of fear & relief is, so will you.

My take is, even though we as creatures experience time in a linear way, we should not let the death of a loved one define them for us. All of the good times and love you shared with an individual, pet or person, all of those many moments are just as real as the few near the end, that sucked so bad. Crying is natural, and mourning is good. But once the dust settles, if you are to truly remember them in an accurate way, then you owe it to the reality of them to remember an avalanche of good memories, and only a handful of shit ones. And you get a new dog eventually, or keep making new friends, for the simple reason that they are still here, and so are you. And shared love eases shared suffering. RIP to your pup

Sorry to hear that, pets are part of the family. Sounds like you made sure he had the best life possible, you should take comfort in that.

losing any animal is hard, but losing a kind and loving dog is even harder. My mom lost her dog she had for around 15 years and she was literally depressed for a while and still talks about her (even years after), and my grandma got depressed after losing hers and after the dog died her health rapidly declined and she passed away in 2013. Losing a pet is hard, but losing a dog can be even more severe from my family experiences.

Condolences

It really is true that dogs are "man's best friend." Collectively, we don't have that same bond with any other animal. A good dog is always there for you, always loyal, always happy to be your friend.

in my 20s i had a pitbull that died of blood poisoning while i was on vacation. hurt that i wasnt there in the end when he had to be put down, it happened so fast.

RIP to your friend. It gets less painful with time, all the great memories. I have a Neopolitan Mastiff now, making new memories.

It really is true that dogs are "man's best friend." Collectively, we don't have that same bond with any other animal. A good dog is always there for you, always loyal, always happy to be your friend.

i plan on getting a dog pretty soon, probably gonna get a collie

09225105125327_1.jpg

32.png

My dog is almost 10 now and I really don't want to entertain any thoughts of loosing her. I'm still not sure how my mother will deal with her death, she loves her way too much. Getting another dog might ease the blow, so to speak?

The emotional bond you have with a dog is way stronger then you'll ever have with a cat, goldfish, parakeet, guinea pig or any other kind of pet you can get. A dog is willing to risk his life to protect you if it came down to it.

Plus all of the other animals for the most stay at home while you can take a dog out to the park or just along in the car with you while you run errands.

Very sad

A Collie is a fairly high maintenance dog for a beginning owner fyi. Lots of grooming and need for stimulation.

i have had dogs before, i just haven't had one recently. Im looking for a medium size dog, that doesn't requite a massive amount of work (example huskies are a pain), I will of course walk it multiple times a day and i love to play with dogs. So im just looking for a good size dog that likes attention, also i don't mind shedding, it needs to get along with my cats to lol. So far a collie is a top pick, but im still looking

Damn, right in the feels. Sorry for your loss buddy.

Dogs are amazing creatures. Loyal to the death, and can bring so much joy into one's life.

My pup is 9 yrs old now but still acts exactly the same as he did when he was a puppy. It's gonna be hard when he starts getting too old to be as playful and energetic as he is now. I've already started trying to prepare myself for the day he dies. He's one of the best friends I've ever had and right now I can't even imagine what it'll be like not having him around.

When he does die I'm definitely getting another one but he's gonna be real hard to replace.

I've always wanted an English Bulldog my whole life. I've always owned boxers or APBT. They live a long and generally healthy lives. My friends that have English Bulldogs only tend to have them for 5-7 years before they die. That would really suck to get so attached to an animal and have it pass so seen.

Why know a person? They will die too.

The double-sided coin of fear & relief is, so will you.

My take is, even though we as creatures experience time in a linear way, we should not let the death of a loved one define them for us. All of the good times and love you shared with an individual, pet or person, all of those many moments are just as real as the few near the end, that sucked so bad. Crying is natural, and mourning is good. But once the dust settles, if you are to truly remember them in an accurate way, then you owe it to the reality of them to remember an avalanche of good memories, and only a handful of shit ones. And you get a new dog eventually, or keep making new friends, for the simple reason that they are still here, and so are you. And shared love eases shared suffering. RIP to your pup

Dawson_Crying.gif

Rip jingle

My wife and I just put our dog to sleep a week ago. I don't think I can go through that again. I am not looking forward to my cat dying either. Luckily, he's only 3, so that is hopefully a long way off.

Back