Why don't they have as much footwork/angles in MT as in Boxing?

I'm just a casual Mauy Thai practitioner, but I think I can somewhat give you a decent answer...

I think it is all about the stances and the weight distribution.
In Mauy Thai you'll put your weight on your back leg, that way, you'll be able to check leg kicks with your lead shin more easily. I feel like this weight distribution will limit the footwork to a certain extent.

now maybe I'm wrong, can't wait to read more on this !

because boxing footwork requires a lower base, and a different sense of balance than Muay Thai due to the need to be able to attack with and defend against kicks and knees. There is angling in Muay Thai as well as a lot of footwork but it is more subtle.

At least it seems that way from my noobish point of view~

Muay Thai doesn't have as much angling and footwork??

You have to be able to move forward, backward, side to side, and 45 degree variations of those directions. Footwork is created to perform those functions in addition to circling, pivoting; and at the same time give the ability to employ one's attacks and defenses.

If something isn't there that you see in some other fighting art, it's because it's either not necessary or counterproductive for what Muay Thai does.

hooks and uppers replaced by elbows and high knee...

body shots by knees...

so there goes ur angles...

as for movement...u cannot afford to duck and weave low... reason being u dont want to accept a knee going up whilst u duck going down... and lowering your body makes it easier to kick your head...

mt focuses more on short and swift steps to evade...

at least thats what my kru taught me...

basically its the same as "why boxing doesnt have kicks ,knees and elbows"

He might be getting this idea by watching some thai guys fight. Sometimes they seem to just stand in front of one another and dish it out until one falls.

the footwork is very complex, in time you will see it.
even when bwe stand in front and bang we are being far more alusive then you realise.
only need move an inch to make sameone miss. the crowd sometimes not see the subtle move.

even when bwe stand in front and bang we are being far more alusive then you realise.
only need move an inch to make sameone miss. the crowd sometimes not see the subtle move.

This. The footwork in boxing and muay thai is very different from each other. People rarely see or appreciate it because whenever the word "footwork" is brought up, people think of boxing.

Thanks for posting on here Payak a lot of stuff you say is very insightful and helpful for guys like me who are getting into fighting.

If you watch Lumpini fights or other traditional muay thai fights you'll notice a more stand and bang style and not a lot of footwork, pivoting, etc. Whereas the Dutch fighters have incorporated more footwork. This is the primary difference between Dutch and traditional muay thai and the Dutch have been successful using it as seen in fighters like Bonjasky, Hoost, Souwer, and Badr Hari to name a few.

I always thought there was a similar amount of footwork/angles but like Payak said, it seems more subtle. Probably because you're applying foot techniques and not just hands, so footwork has to take that into account.

the footwork is different because in boxing you don't have to worry about leg kicks. start dancing around and moving from a thai style balance and you wont be able to check

The "similar amount but more subtle" argument makes no sense.

The "similar amount but more subtle" argument makes no sense.

I think they mean a similar amount of consideration/importance/respect for angles in a fight, but more subtle movements to actually implement the angle work.

You've seen Dutch Muay Thai? They have a lot of footwork/angles.

You've seen Dutch Muay Thai? They have a lot of footwork/angles.

Dutch muay Thai is not identical, to the style, that is practiced in Thailand. The Dutch style(correct me if i am wrong) is more a of hybrid style; incorporating not only muay Thai, but a lot of boxing and karate.

funny i just spent 2 hours going over nothing but angles, and slipping with my Kru...seemed like a lot is there, just subtle like.trust me, you will see it

I think in Thailand there is a certain mentality of just standing toe to toe and blasting each other, its like a machismo thing or something, it sometimes give the appearance of being "untechnical". In Muay Thai aggression is favored in scoring, so I'm sure that plays into it as well.

The subtly of movement in muay thai is an element as well, its not like boxing because there are so many more angles of attack, you can't go too far in either direction, or lean over too much. Its more about head movement, and yes angles especially.

If you don't realize thai boxers are using switch kicking evasively and to adjust angles, its because you are used to watching boxing it doesn't make sense because you don't know what to look for.

Last edited:
I think they mean a similar amount of consideration/importance/respect for angles in a fight, but more subtle movements to actually implement the angle work.
Bingo.

If you don't realize thai boxers are using switch kicking evasively and to adjust angles, its because you are used to watching boxing it doesn't make sense because you don't know what to look for.

hmmm....an u elaborate on that ?

Back