Why don't they have as much footwork/angles in MT as in Boxing?

Besides, i think a top western boxer with some rudimentary kick defense training would wipe the floor with a good amount of K-1 guys (yes, i'm looking at you dutchmen) simply because of the ruleset and approach to fighting (no clinch wrestling, no elbows, similar point system to boxing) The sports are too similar, there's too much overlap. It's likely that a kickboxer would in fact try to box with a boxer and get knocked out in the process.

but put that same boxer in a Thai stadium with any ranked fighter and he'd get his punches nullified by the Thai boxers forward marching, ragdolled in the clinch, thrown on his ass over and over, kneed to a pulp, and sliced up with elbows.

Of course that would never happen though because Thai boxers make shit for cash lol.

Or why don't you put a thai fighter in MMA and put a top boxer and see who will have the best results?Thai uses his clinch and will be taken down, thai uses his kicksandwill be taken down. He will resort to his sloppy boxing(but then again, not all thais havebad boxing).

oh man! This happened to me the other night, sparring in a thai class and i have more of a boxing lean, ducking and rolling under all this guy's straight shots and hitting him to the body hard and repeatedly.

Afterwards he goes, "yeah you want to watch all that head movement, you will kicked or kneed" - O RLY??? Why the fuck didnt you do it then!

And this isnt an isolated example, i have been sparring thai for years now and i keep hearing the same thing yet i have been kneed in the face precisely once. and that was by a wrestler who changed levels when i did then came up with the knee. Granted, it broke my nose but thats a fair trade off for years of body-shotting guys who think they are unbodyshottable (new word there for ya)

Andy Souwer uses it well, but doesn't exaggerate with it (knows when to do so, mainly when someone punches).

Andy Souwer uses it well, but doesn't exaggerate with it (knows when to do so, mainly when someone punches).

i think i probably do over-exaggerate it and i think against high-level thai boxers i would suffer, but your average local hobbyist or semi-pro, i've not had too many issues to be honest.

i just try and not 'play thai' against thai boxers. They seem strangely unadaptable to things outside the thai curriculum so it creates holes.

Or why don't you put a thai fighter in MMA and put a top boxer and see who will have the best results?Thai uses his clinch and will be taken down, thai uses his kicksandwill be taken down. He will resort to his sloppy boxing(but then again, not all thais havebad boxing).

Yeah, that's true too. No shit, that's why MMA fighters striking training is heavy in punches.

Your point in regard to the topic?

Last edited by a moderator:
oh man! This happened to me the other night, sparring in a thai class and i have more of a boxing lean, ducking and rolling under all this guy's straight shots and hitting him to the body hard and repeatedly.

Afterwards he goes, "yeah you want to watch all that head movement, you will kicked or kneed" - O RLY??? Why the fuck didnt you do it then!

And this isnt an isolated example, i have been sparring thai for years now and i keep hearing the same thing yet i have been kneed in the face precisely once. and that was by a wrestler who changed levels when i did then came up with the knee. Granted, it broke my nose but thats a fair trade off for years of body-shotting guys who think they are unbodyshottable (new word there for ya)
Sparring and fighting are two different things tho. You're not going to knee your partner in the face, and kicking in sparring is light so it lacks speed. I let guys get a way with a lot of shit in sparring that they couldn't in a fight because of having to hold back.

Regardless tho, I do mix in boxing footwork and headmovment into my style, I just make sure to pick the right moments and keep my movements compact. Most of the guys I train with are boxers tho so they really haven't been able to expose those flaws with Muay Thai technique. I have busted open noses on two occasions with kicks that guys have ducked face first into, and guys that use way too much head movement in the inside seem easy as hell to tie up in a clinch.

Bottom line, there are elements of boxing that can be adapted into Muay Thai. Just watch Saenchai Sor Kingstar. However, if you understand the scoring system in Muay Thai you would know why they fight the way that they do. Its an effective style and their is no debate to that. It is what it is. If you want to take elements of Muay Thai and blend it with Boxing by all means do it but don't act like Muay Thai HAS to have those elements as it is a PROVEN effective style and has been proven in the ring for almost 100 years.

Kicks are one thing, but its actually hard to land your power hand if they are circling to the power side (not IN to the power side)

Circling left for an orthodox fighter is fine, just as long as you aren't in punching range.

The reason I said TO circle right is that as a fighter, you always want to have your weapons available, while taking away your opponents. If you can beat the other guy with footwork, then you have a great chance to land your power without them ever touching you.

Back