Why don't they have as much footwork/angles in MT as in Boxing?

ticize them.

"all thats extra is a right head or low kick"

Yeah. Like I said, for a knob like you to get this, you will have to go take a few classes I think. Yes it can be hard to land a power punch with your right if someone circles away to the right, but sometimes they still just close their eyes, wind up and swing for the fences and you have Hendo vs Bisping. :icon_lol:
Kicking and clinching with elbows and knees vastly changes the dynamic.
Go to a muay thai gym and see if you can beat them all up with your awesome boxing style foot work if you are so confident and know your shit so well. :icon_twis

I started training in western style kick boxing when I was 11, and all my instructors over the years have had ring experience. Thanks. Have a nice day.

bisping was just reactively walking to the left not trying to bait him , which is what its used for. Secondly u dont do that too much if the guy has a murderous right hand (which hendo does). Theres hundreds and thousands of examples of guys getting KTFO moving to the right. Should we stop that too ?
BTW i do use my 'awsome boxing style' footwork in sparring and have lots of fun thumping MT guys with their rigid beliefs. Love uppercutting and bodyshotting them and hear them bleat about how they would elbow/knee me. Really ?
A dump like you should know we're not in Thailand where u spend the whole fight clinching and elbowing. You can go and train for an imaginary rule set you'll never compete in and i'll play to the rules.

so you've been training in KB with trainers who've had ring experience ? Wow !

My MT coach has had 50+ fights including fights with Kongnapa and Jongsanan and my boxing coach has fought Floyd Mayweather,Ricky Hatton, Tony Lopez.

Their experience >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> you n the jokers you train with.

:icon_lol:

Given your username and the number of posts since your join date, I should have known what sort of person I was communicating with from the start.
:icon_lol: :redface:

Given your username and the number of posts since your join date, I should have known what sort of person I was communicating with from the start.
:icon_lol: :redface:

if u call a chimp banging on an empty trash can 'communicating' then yes i guess you were communicating.

I think in Thailand there is a certain mentality of just standing toe to toe and blasting each other, its like a machismo thing or something, it sometimes give the appearance of being "untechnical". In Muay Thai aggression is favored in scoring, so I'm sure that plays into it as well.

There are some valid points being made in this thread, but this is very important to keep in mind. Aggression and heart are extremely important to muay Thai.

If you're not using footwork and angles in MT chances are your punches
and kicks lack power.

circling to the right makes a lot of sense, circling into the power hand no so much. if you circle to the right, you just have a different game and you are making him adjust to you and also probably baiting that right hand....if you switch suddenly, it will most likely throw him off.

BTW i do use my 'awsome boxing style' footwork in sparring and have lots of fun thumping MT guys with their rigid beliefs. Love uppercutting and bodyshotting them and hear them bleat about how they would elbow/knee me. Really ?
A dump like you should know we're not in Thailand where u spend the whole fight clinching and elbowing. You can go and train for an imaginary rule set you'll never compete in and i'll play to the rules.

Don't care much about the rest or the namecalling, but that's a paragraph I'll stand by...

I would agree that the rigidity of very traditional MT fighters can be very unnatural, almost as much as TKD guys pretending they don't have arms.

Fuck its like an itch I have to scratch.

How are you training muay thai with no knees? No elbows in sparring I can see, but whatever. I don't come from a traditional muay thai back ground and I don't train strictly for ring fighting, and I've never heard anyone whine like that in sparring, ever, so I can't relate. I do know that boasting like that on an internet forum is extremely lame.
It is possible to fight under a muay thai rule set in north america, and mma allows for all aspects of muay thai so its a rather naive statement to assume one might never have a use for elbow and knee strikes, besides the self defense aspect of having a full arsenal of abilities.
:icon_lol:

If you have such an awesome muay thai instructor, why the fuck are you asking such questions on sherdog, loser?

a dead stick;42271221]
Fuck its like an itch I have to scratch.

i think its called Herpes. Get it checked out n stop fucking with crackhores.

How are you training muay thai with no knees?

who said anything about training with no knees but do u throw knees to the head in sparring ? More importantly can you ?.....when im to your 9 or 3 'o' clock , real close. What makes you think i dont anticipate that and have a left hook or overhand right waiting ?

No elbows in sparring I can see, but whatever. I don't come from a traditional muay thai back ground and I don't train strictly for ring fighting

So what the fuck do u know about the topic on hand ? You , by your own account dont know shit about MT's skillset and not much about AKB by the sound of it or you wouldnt be yammering on how angling/footwork doesnt work. You dont train to 'ring fight' so what do u know about the skill set required or about boxing ? Sparring a bunch of heeby jeebys in some no name gym in Coocamunga;Nebraska dont count for shit.

ever, so I can't relate.

you got that right

I do know that boasting like that on an internet forum is extremely lame.

really ? you were the one who said my suggestions wouldnt work sparring MT guys and that i dont even spar.
Well guess what ? i do ...every fucking day minus Sunday , in two different gyms with multiple people of all different shapes n sizes from guys 5'6 and 140lbs all the way to 6'8 270lbs muscled fuckers. Boxers and MT guys , and when i say my shit works then im boasting ?
GTFO here :rolleyes:

It is possible to fight under a muay thai rule set in north america,

really ? you're saying this from your own extensive experience ? :icon_lol:

Outside of the San Diego/California area theres not much oppurtunity for FMT in the US and Canada (Mexico ok). Even then its reserved for high level pros and even that is rare. so stfu about shit you dont know.

and mma allows for all aspects of muay thai so its a rather naive statement to assume one might never have a use for elbow and knee strikes, besides the self defense aspect of having a full arsenal of abilities.

only problem with that , dumbass, is that TS was talking about MT not MMA or self defence . You lost track of what the fuck we were even talking about ? That why i said more of STFU and listen more.

If you have such an awesome muay thai instructor, why the fuck are you asking such questions on sherdog, loser?

Once again dipshit lost track of his own crap. I didnt ask the question i answered it. I did ask you to clarify your statement that all thais use switch hitting to evade n angle. Obviously u had no clue about that , having barely any MT experience as a student let alone a spectator or competitor.

You guys need to calm down. You know what they say about arguing on the internet . . .

Anyways, Saenchai seems to work the footwork/angles in a more obvious manner. If I recall correctly, his fight against Fabio Pinca is a good example.

But yea most Thais seem to be very subtle with their footwork but it's still there, as Sinister use to always say it's all about those tiny baby steps that most people don't even notice.

Last edited:
ugh, these types of threads really irritate, they come up every couple weeks or so...

This thread needs some vids:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and yes, Thai people do value standing and fighting, ie. blocking and countering, not giving up any ground etc. There are a few evasive movements, like rocking your head backwards to avoid a high kick, or pulling your leg backwards to avoid a low kick, but if you notice, those techniques allow you to remain in front of your opponent ready to answer back. This is why there isn't too much circling, backpedaling & in-and-out movement in traditional MT (though there is a good amount of angling that is utilized by the more talented boxers).

If you want to see that type of stuff (guys fighting like western boxers) go watch some K-1 fights or international kickboxing type programs. Not quite my taste in fighting, mainly because if i wanted to watch people box, then i'd f*ckin watch some HBO boxing, but then again there are people that do like the kickboxing thing.

More Muay Thai goodness:

Besides, i think a top western boxer with some rudimentary kick defense training would wipe the floor with a good amount of K-1 guys (yes, i'm looking at you dutchmen) simply because of the ruleset and approach to fighting (no clinch wrestling, no elbows, similar point system to boxing) The sports are too similar, there's too much overlap. It's likely that a kickboxer would in fact try to box with a boxer and get knocked out in the process.

but put that same boxer in a Thai stadium with any ranked fighter and he'd get his punches nullified by the Thai boxers forward marching, ragdolled in the clinch, thrown on his ass over and over, kneed to a pulp, and sliced up with elbows.

Of course that would never happen though because Thai boxers make shit for cash lol.

Besides, i think a top western boxer with some rudimentary kick defense training would wipe the floor with a good amount of K-1 guys (yes, i'm looking at you dutchmen) QUOTE]

lol no way man. K1 guys are too well rounded to be taken out by a a boxer with kick defence.
Plus i think u just named Kalakoda a good boxer(IBO World Champ) with surprisingly decent kicks and while he's had some good fights against Souwer, Masato etc he just hast crested the hill for that W.

Yeah, you maybe right there, i was a little hyped up earlier because of the idiotic comments about how kickboxers lack movement, then my Muay Thai nuthugger instinct kicked in.

But yeah, a top boxer would get pretty far in K-1 (Kalakoda is a great example, mighty mo or mark hunt as a less impressive example), but he definitely would have a very slim chance of beating the top tier gunslingers like souwer, masato, Kyshenko(my favorite), petrosyan...

Kraus would get the beatdown though....just cause i don't like him or his fighting style.

EDIT: or his leopard print skirt, greasy mullet/jheri curl combo and rocky walkout music.

oh man! This happened to me the other night, sparring in a thai class and i have more of a boxing lean, ducking and rolling under all this guy's straight shots and hitting him to the body hard and repeatedly.

Afterwards he goes, "yeah you want to watch all that head movement, you will kicked or kneed" - O RLY??? Why the fuck didnt you do it then!

And this isnt an isolated example, i have been sparring thai for years now and i keep hearing the same thing yet i have been kneed in the face precisely once. and that was by a wrestler who changed levels when i did then came up with the knee. Granted, it broke my nose but thats a fair trade off for years of body-shotting guys who think they are unbodyshottable (new word there for ya)

^Yodsaenklai kind of does the same thing if you watch his fights.

He really exploits the fact that other Muay Thai fighters aren't expecting the body rips.

So what the fuck do u know about the topic on hand ? You , by your own account dont know shit about MT's skillset and not much about AKB by the sound of it or you wouldnt be yammering on how angling/footwork doesnt work. You dont train to 'ring fight' so what do u know about the skill set required or about boxing ? Sparring a bunch of heeby jeebys in some no name gym in Coocamunga;Nebraska dont count for shit.

I never said angling and foot work doesn't work, but lets face it, you came off like an arrogant prick, and to me it sounded like you had no clue because of way you framed your question, and your further explanations seemed over simplified.

I make a point of trying not to argue about "what works in fighting" on an internet forum because its fairly fucking pointless, IMO, and that is besides the fact that you feel the need to misinterpret everything I say.

No need to get all pissy about it, you over-sensitive little bitch. :rolleyes:

Back