• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why don't more fighters use their Free eye-poke?

I'd rather take a eye poke than a punch from anyone 155 and above.

You are not very clever then.

Ps it's not hard to eye poke someone if you post off thier head or do it in a clinch. It's way way easier than hitting someone in the face because you don't need space to cause damage. Eeidman wasn't being truthful in his postfight interview.

You are not very clever then.

Ps it's not hard to eye poke someone if you post off thier head or do it in a clinch. It's way way easier than hitting someone in the face because you don't need space to cause damage. Eeidman wasn't being truthful in his postfight interview.

You can say he was being a douche, but Weidman was being very truthful in the post fight interview.

He didn't lie once. Admitted to poking him, said he shouldn't have fallen down, cause he was jumping on him if the ref. doesn't stop him.

How did Weidman lie?

They should just penalize it the way any other sport would. Imagine if pass interference, roughing the kicker, traveling, or high sticking got off with a warning. No such thing as an accident. You extended your hands with your fingers open and poked the guy. You threw the kick and it landed on his cup. You reached out and grabbed the fence. How is any of that an accident? Automatic point deduction should be law. Then you got referees who bitch about not wanting to negatively impact a fighter's purse or career, or sometimes just miss things. Ok, fine. Let a cageside official call for a stop in the action if he sees something the ref doesn't. Use video replay to be sure. There's plenty of ways to clean this stuff up.

Absolutely. All the other sports give out penalties even it was accidental. This whole warning business is silly and punitive to the recipient of the foul. It’s bush league.
Exactly, and in most sports when it is deemed intentional, the penalty is far worse.

You can say he was being a douche, but Weidman was being very truthful in the post fight interview.

He didn't lie once. Admitted to poking him, said he shouldn't have fallen down, cause he was jumping on him if the ref. doesn't stop him.

How did Weidman lie?

He made the claim it's hard to eyepoke an opponent, comparing it to a punch. It's a very dishonest framing. As I said above, you don't need space to inflict serious damage with an eyepoke.

I feel like Jackson's and Serra/Longo incorporate intentional fouls and baiting fouls into their fighter's training. If they're not penalized you can't really blame them for taking advantage, I guess.

Screenshot-2021-03-14-at-10.57.12.jpg

The first eye poke is literally penalty-free, since everybody seems to be operating under that unwritten rule anyway.
And until officials stop their "first one is free" policy, there is no reason not to groin strike and eye-poke your opponent immediately.
I'm not saying it would be right to do so
but I don't get why we don't see more fighters use their free eye poke. You almost never get penalized for the first, and maybe not even the second.
and according to Gary "You both did it" Copeland, You can even get away with a third one if both of you did it at the same time.
It's underutilized and you get a minimum of one free foul for everything. Coaches need to have hand signals for each foul they want their fighter to commit.

Some probably do, but some don't want their victory to be marred with that.

I'll add another couple of points,

E yepokes and the threat of them fuck with range management. Typically a good striker is trying to sit just off the end of thier opponents strikes. There's a reason reach is such a big deal in striking, reach advantage is conceptually the room you have to sit off the end of the opponents punch while still being in range to touch them. Close your fist, now open it and notice the different in reach. I can eyepoke you from a greater distance than I can punch you. If I alternate the two I can force you to stay away from me. This leads to fighters rushing the pocket to get into range, which makes eyepokes worse. You saw this happen with Silva.

The bigger your hands are the more this difference in reach is. I'm 6'5 ish and it's about 8inches for me if I include wrist angle.

Also, it's easier to split a guard with an open hand, especially thumb up.

Last edited:
but I don't get why we don't see more fighters use their free eye poke. You almost never get penalized for the first, and maybe not even the second.

I'm pretty sure the first eyepoke has literally never been penalized

I mean if you are allowed to implement defenses (rolling, block, ect.) for the punch, Am I allowed to implement defenses for the eye poke such as blocking the eye poke, or moving my head away from the poking fingers?

To compare a landed eye poke vs. a punch you can dodge, is not really the same.

I'm pretty confident I can still move and fight even if I get poked in the eye. There is a chance I can't do shit if I'm punched.

In a street fight, being punched could result in a 10 minute beatdown if I fall to the ground and get concussed.

In a sanctioned fight, I may or may not get a break from an eye poke (depends on if the ref sees it).

I'd take an eye poke over a punch any day, and we are talking about both landing, not whether or not they land or could land.

This is a silly post, eye pokes are much easier to land, have greater reach, and require no force.

This is a silly post, eye pokes are much easier to land, have greater reach, and require no force.

Lol, I bet most people can dodge eye pokes/block them much easier than a punch. It's a pointy finger coming directly at your line of vision. Punches at least can have all sort of angles, I ain't seen an uppercut eye poke yet or a overfinger eye poke.

What about farting on your opponent? Does that count as a foul? lol

Lol, I bet most people can dodge eye pokes/block them much easier than a punch. It's a pointy finger coming directly at your line of vision. Punches at least can have all sort of angles, I ain't seen an uppercut eye poke yet or a overfinger eye poke.

You obviously don't understand how you slip dodge punches. You slip dodge punches based on how people set thier feet, from initial movements in the shoulders and the loading of the punch. A lot of this becomes an automatic response based on hundreds of hours of sparring. If youre trying to dodge a punch after its halfway to you, you're fucked. If your understanding of evasion was correct, feinting wountdt work.

Eyepokes don't give these tells inthe same way because they dont require as much force.. Please stop theorizing about things you don't know about.

Go and spar some rounds before you have opinions on technique. Or, in the very least, have the humility to listen to people who have sparred for thousands of hours. There's heaps of them on this board.

Last edited:
(1) If you are very zoned in on a fight, you probably aren't going to be focused on pointing eyes.

(2) The eye is a very small target, it's hard to hit directly on the eye, let alone poke it.

(3) Hands up trying to poke at the face is going to open you up for takedowns.

(4) Most eye pokes are passive, from being coming into you, rather than you going into them. If you can land a forward moving eye poke, you can probably land a punch, which may be more effective.

My man has a PHD in pokes

It's usually closer to 3 eye pokes but it depends how the night goes. Seasoned vets get the vibe on the commentary and refs before they start "gaging distance"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back