Why doesn't Gus get called a "HW fighting MWs" ?

Coffee79

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jones' haters constantly throw that out against him - that he's not really good, but just a HW fighting MWs like Machida (even though Lyoto, Rashad, Rampage, and Rua are all former LHW champs).

But why can't I find a single one of those same guys calling Gus a cowardly HW given this photo exists ?

jonesstare2.png

For the sake of consistency, Gus should get this same criticism, but he doesn't.

115_shogun_rua_and_alex_gustafsson.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Have you seen his torso on fight night? Height =/= size, it's only part of the equation.

He looks quite good at 205. He has a big frame, but not that much muscle. It's a different look than a huge guy that is so dehydrated that you can see the muscles poking trough his skin.

Because I can do whatever the hell I want and you just need to deal with it.

I agree he should and imo he has a better chance of beating Cain than Jones.

How many of Gus's opponents have previously fought at/dropped down to MW, again?

Several reasons:

1. (objective) Gus isn't the champ; people tend to be much more demanding towards champs. Also, people tend to compare Jones to Anderson/prime Shogun/my favorite fighter so in such arguments the (alleged) advantage in size that Jones has resurfaces. Few people have such debates about Gus yet so it doesn't come up.

2. (subjective) Jones utilizes his reach very well, and it's obvious how it benefits him in several fights. People have often noted how he doesn't have the bext boxing technique or defense, but he manages to get away with it because most of the time people aren't in range to do anything about it. Also his reach combines very well with his wrestling in the clinch. Of course Gus benefits a lot from his reach, but it's less obvious to the naked eye.

3. (very subjective) Jones is very hated, Gus isn't.

he dosnt have the belt.

So no one is trying to diminish what he did so they can say the like another champ more. like With silva, Gsp, Fedor,ronda

Jones' haters constantly throw that out against him - that he's not really good, but just a HW fighting MWs like Machida (even though Lyoto, Rashad, Rampage, and Rua are all former LHW champs).

But why can't I find a single one of those same guys calling Gus a cowardly HW given this photo exists ?

jonesstare2.png

For the sake of consistency, Gus should get this same criticism, but he doesn't.

115_shogun_rua_and_alex_gustafsson.0_standard_352.0.jpg
Because those aren't the guys Jones really catches shit for being MWs.
Its Chael and Vitor. Both guys who hadn't fought at LHW in some time and both ranked at MW.

Back