Why doesn't Gus get called a "HW fighting MWs" ?

Oh wow, the anti, anti - racist troll, troll. And a white belt to boot. Now I've seen it all

So you admit to being the racist in this matter? Here is the truth. It does not require intelligence to have a high post count. Burn your race card.

If you can weight in at 205 the day before your fight, you are not a heavyweight. You are a light-heavyweight. End of debate.

Gus looks soft. Like he belongs a light heavy. Jones looks like a heavyweight on welterweight legs. Maybe it's all the mw's and old guys jones fights, makes him look enormous by comparison. DC looked tiny next to him and he fought at heavy.

Jones' haters constantly throw that out against him - that he's not really good, but just a HW fighting MWs like Machida (even though Lyoto, Rashad, Rampage, and Rua are all former LHW champs).

But why can't I find a single one of those same guys calling Gus a cowardly HW given this photo exists ?

jonesstare2.png

For the sake of consistency, Gus should get this same criticism, but he doesn't.

115_shogun_rua_and_alex_gustafsson.0_standard_352.0.jpg

One reason is cause Gus isnt and never has been number one at the weight. Do you ever remember people complaining about Rumble at WW? Because I dont.

But the biggest reason that, IMO, people dont complain about Gus is because outside of the octagon he's humble and seems like a genuinely likable guy. Jones' personality, inside and outside of the octagon is pretty much the exact opposite. Which causes people to fabricate (if he made the weight at the required time, he is a LHW) reasons to hate him.

TL;DR
Its really not, deal with it.

One reason is cause Gus isnt and never has been number one at the weight. Do you ever remember people complaining about Rumble at WW? Because I dont.

But the biggest reason that, IMO, people dont complain about Gus is because outside of the octagon he's humble and seems like a genuinely likable guy. Jones' personality, inside and outside of the octagon is pretty much the exact opposite. Which causes people to fabricate (if he made the weight at the required time, he is a LHW) reasons to hate him.

TL;DR
Its really not, deal with it.

Rational explanations are not appreciated around here. The avid MSNBC watchers want to make it a civil rights issue instead. Jon Jones is such an infallible cherub with angel wings that no other reason could possibly make sense.

The fact that "size advantage" is even a discussion for two fighters who weigh exactly the fucking same at weigh ins gives me no hope for the human race. None.

Jones' haters constantly throw that out against him - that he's not really good, but just a HW fighting MWs like Machida (even though Lyoto, Rashad, Rampage, and Rua are all former LHW champs).

But why can't I find a single one of those same guys calling Gus a cowardly HW given this photo exists ?

jonesstare2.png

For the sake of consistency, Gus should get this same criticism, but he doesn't.

115_shogun_rua_and_alex_gustafsson.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Well when 3 out of his 8 title defences where against MW's that where it comes from . Sonnen,Belfort,Machida. imo the rest were LHW Except Shogun he should have been in MW years ago

I do say he, Bader, Jones, etc.. should all be cruiserweights.

But let's be honest, he's not insufferable like Jones, and that affords him more wiggle room.

1. Because he is not the champ.
2. Because people don't hate him.

But the whole thing is stupid. You are whatever weight you can cut to. That's true in boxing, wrestling, MMA, whatever. Jones greatness is not diminished just because he chooses to fight as a LHW.

Because he doesn't cut as much, his reach advantage is considerable, but not nearly close to the gap Jones has with his opponents etc. Oh, and people like him more, even though he beat Shlgun, Sherdog's prince, as well.

Well when 3 out of his 8 title defences where against MW's that where it comes from . Sonnen,Belfort,Machida. imo the rest were LHW Except Shogun he should have been in MW years ago

Of course, people should remember that Shogun was the unquestionable #1 LHW in the world when Jones destroyed him, so calling him a natural MW doesn't really matter that much. Shogun also happens to be rather clearly the best win on Gustafsson's record.

To TS' question about inconsistencies on here, it's because for a lot of people, rational thinking goes out the window (if it ever was present in the first place) when personal feelings enter the picture.

How does your opponents define what weight class you should be fighting at?

Gus is fighting a guy that used to fight at WELTERWEIGHT, 170 pounds.

That obviously means Gus is a SHW and should be fighting at 300+.

To add to your argument lets also point out that Gus is 0-2 when matched in size and talent so far in his career (Jones, Davis).

He's tall, not huge. Rumble will be bigger than him weight wise for sure.

Back