Why doesn't Conor/RDA feel as special as BJ/GSP 2?

cino

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Both are champ vs champ fights, but Conor/RDA just doesn't have the same excitement that BJ/GSP 2 had for me. I still have never been more excited for a fight than BJ/GSP 2.

But I do think that they aren't marketing Conor/RDA enough. I remember UFC 94 had the first primetime series, which generated so much hype.

Is it just me? Which fight excites(ed) you more?

Edit: Also wanted to add, BJ/GSP 2 attracted way more debate amongst the MMA community boths fans and fighters alike

Not many casuals know RDA. I don't see the hype machine popping up everywhere like the Holly pre fight weeks.

It feels pretty fucking special to me tbh.

Never forget this fucking tweet:

In the end NONE of those fights ever happened. Atleast this one will.

BJ was a defending champ who had just smoked Sean Sherk before moving up to WW for that title. Connie hasn't defended anything yet.

I heart the feels for Conor vs RDA. Plenty of the feels.

The answer is very simple. RDA has no fans.

because there is only 1 star here, RDA is not a star and not that popular. only Conor is. GSP and BJ were both very popular and stars.

RDA is a relatively unknown without a solid fanbase and hype going for him. He is a free-TV fighter as Conor likes to call him.

GSP and Penn were both populair and had hype behind them when the fight happened.

I'm a lot more excited for Conor/RDA. I think it's both a bigger and a better fight. However, I can think of a couple big reasons why you or others might feel that way:

First is how much the titles mean. GSP and BJ fought for 40% of the belts in the UFC, since there were only 5 divisions. Each title had more worth back then. Also each fighter is more regarded for being an actual "champion". GSP was "the guy" at WW and BJ was "the guy" at LW. Conor only just won his belt, he had a tough fight against Mendes, there was a lack of resolution to McGregor/Aldo, and he hasn't fought Edgar. RDA lost to a still-undefeated top fighter not too long ago, and doesn't stand out in any way with fans like Conor, GSP, and BJ all do.

Second is the UFC's promotion of the fight. It's very weird. The UFC is now marketing it as a champion vs champion fight, but they seem strangely reluctant to do so. This should be among the top 3 biggest fights they've ever put on, considering the circumstances.

GSP and BJ were both stars of the sport and there was a genuine feud leading up to that fight. While an awesome fighter RDA isn't that well known and Conor isn't a long term champ yet. This fight's also very soon after Conor vs Aldo which he promoted heavily for a year. If he wants to fight as often as he says he won't be able to do that much promotion/hype for every fight.

Cause the other was GSP and BJ Penn! lol. Not sure we'll really see anything match that again.

It is a cool fight though. Conor is very good and I'm a big RDA fan. Can't wait.

They had already fought. There was a rivalry between them. They were both well known fighters while now only Conor is. Also this match got put together very quickly between Conor and RDA and hasn't been promoted much.

Both GSP and Penn were very popular that had pretty evenly split rabid fan bases. No one was really sitting on the fence for that one

Well GSP/Penn 2 had 920k PPV buyrate. Let's see if 196 tops that. If it does it has more hype, if not it has less hype. Your personal feelings on the matter means little. You could be PositiveBalance for all we know.

Why doesn't it feel as special as Tank vs Kimo?

also the paper view will top 1,000,000 buys simply because more people are watching mma now than when pierre vs penn 2 happened.

Im excited but definitely not as excited as bj gsp, these guys are a bit lower in weight and I can't help but feel 1 of 2 things happen, conor wins by tko or RDA grapplefucks him and wins by sub or decision

Back