Why doesn't Conor/RDA feel as special as BJ/GSP 2?

I
I don't really care what you believe, I watched it and it went down as I thought it would, I'm sure a lot of people thought it would go like it did.
I thought GSP would slaughter him due to size and top controll, I honestly never thought it was going to be competitive.

The funny thing is it's the fight that made a Penn, he took a hell of a beating

Because deep down, everyone, even the haters, have a feeling that Conor will finish RDA within the first 2 minutes. It's hard to get super excited for a fight like that.

A GSP fight how ever. My god. We all wondered if Penn would get molested for 5 rounds and we were right. That was hype.

BJ was a defending champ who had just smoked Sean Sherk before moving up to WW for that title. Connie hasn't defended anything yet.

This.

GSP vs BJ is the fight of 2 dominant champions. It's like calling something like a Matt Serra after winning title vs AS a "superfight"

It feels pretty fucking special to me tbh.

Never forget this fucking tweet:

In the end NONE of those fights ever happened. Atleast this one will.

How prophetic.

GSP vs Spider never happened.
Neither did Spider vs Bones.

But Mayweather vs Pacquiao did.

Is this a situation where I can use the word "ironic"?

A lot of people aren't mentioning that the fact Penn had already been a WW champ at that point (dominating a guy who also beat GSP) and had already fought before with a controversial split decision where many thought BJ won (I thought GSP won on points, but clearly took more damage). That on top of what others said made it definitely seem more like a legitimate fight rather than a freak show money fight. Outside the flash KO, I see this fight being eerily similar to GSP-Penn II actually.

Back