Why does the "boxing" of JDS not seem that good?

When you watch JDS hit pads his speed is fairly good and repeats some combos. But during fights you rarely ever see him use combos. During fights I have seen alot more combos thrown by Chuck,Rampage,Penn,Diaz and Anderson. Please refer to some particular fight in which he did use alot of them or some.

The Mir fight.

It seems JDS relies upon the looping overhand right and the uppercut. He throws those repeatedly and I bet more fighters will be looking for those as he will get more and more predictable with it.

Nice job leaving out his body punches and his lead hook. He's also got a solid right cross.

I have also noticed that the jabs he throws during fights are really not that crisp when compared to other fighters in the UFC particularly the left hand jab as he lazily puts it out there and have no snap to it. Not a straight stiff jabs at all. With alot of times not even coming close to landing it with not gauging his distance very well.

Ask Carwin about Junior's jab. Dude couldn't get within arm's reach without catching a jab to the face.

His defense consisting of holding his hands low has worked against all the slow fighters he has fought but once somebody (Cain) who was a little quicker with his hands than the previous guys then JDS got bombed on. JDS has said that he held his hands low to avoid the TD's but he has always held them low no matter who he fought.

Cool job leaving out Junior's footwork, something every fighter he's faced (Even Cain) commented on.

To me from a technical aspect it looked like Cain has the better boxing and is quicker with his hands than JDS. I didnt see any really good footwork or head movement by JDS to substitute for his lack of having his hands up either.

What are some other thoughts about this.

He didn't show good footwork in the second fight? How bout in the first round when he made Cain looking like an idiot diving for his legs. He got caught with a nasty shot and looked like shit thereafter and even then he still stopped 2/3rds of Cain's takedowns.

Holy shit you are truly one of the worst posters around here and everybody knows you've done nothing but talk shit about Junior leading up to this fight. He looks bad in one fight and now you declare he's never looked good in any of his fights.

Good points made, there are positives that could be taken from the fight. I don't think Cain could do much better than he did, Dos Santos showed he could stop Cain. At the same time Cain was very dominant in the rematch, Dos Santos has gotta make some improvements which I think he will. I do think the third fight will be the most competitive regardless of who wins.

Conditioning and cardio.....over and over and over....that is the most important. If he can keep his condition, his punches will be hard, accurate and fast and his techinque will be good. If he isnt there conditioning wise......he'll have problems again.

He's just gotta stay off the fence and keep the distance in the center of the octagon. It gives him the distance and range to make his boxing more effective and gives him better reaction time to stop the takedowns and prevent the clinch game.

The Mir fight.

Nice job leaving out his body punches and his lead hook. He's also got a solid right cross.

Ask Carwin about Junior's jab. Dude couldn't get within arm's reach without catching a jab to the face.

Cool job leaving out Junior's footwork, something every fighter he's faced (Even Cain) commented on.

He didn't show good footwork in the second fight? How bout in the first round when he made Cain looking like an idiot diving for his legs. He got caught with a nasty shot and looked like shit thereafter and even then he still stopped 2/3rds of Cain's takedowns.

Holy shit you are truly one of the worst posters around here and everybody knows you've done nothing but talk shit about Junior leading up to this fight. He looks bad in one fight and now you declare he's never looked good in any of his fights.

Excellent points all around. And there are so many more we can make.

+ Cro Cop and Carwin fight for combos....not to mention his counters.

Although I will give Supercharge credit for criticizing JDS well before the second fight. Most Cain fans were affraid to admit anything cause they were worried he was getting KO`d. But what he sais, still doesnt make much sence.

Boxing is good, I'm beginning to think his JJ is not black belt...

Conditioning and cardio.....over and over and over....that is the most important. If he can keep his condition, his punches will be hard, accurate and fast and his techinque will be good. If he isnt there conditioning wise......he'll have problems again.

He's just gotta stay off the fence and keep the distance in the center of the octagon. It gives him the distance and range to make his boxing more effective and gives him better reaction time to stop the takedowns and prevent the clinch game.

I agree also he should improve his defense, I assume Dos Santos will train very hard so he doesn't get caught like that again. Before it wasn't an issue like you said before, but against Cain he showed flaws. But they could be fixed, if they are he has a much better chance of winning in a third fight.

I have always said he was more of a brawler.

Wow, not sure how you could come up with that.

...his boxing was actually decent in this last fight, but cain just did everything else better.

No gameplan of any discipline would survive that relentless onslaught.

JDS's boxing only looked this way due to his opponent, he has very good hands despite this one fight.

I agree also he should improve his defense, I assume Dos Santos will train very hard so he doesn't get caught like that again. Before it wasn't an issue like you said before, but against Cain he showed flaws. But they could be fixed, if they are he has a much better chance of winning in a third fight.

He will be fine.....many fighters need a loss to get better and to motivate them.

He wasn`t boxing that last fight -- he was attempting to box in between defending takedown attempts

I don't think there is anything particularly special about it. He has fast feet, I'll give him that, but on the feet before the second Cain fight, his opponents have never exerted much pressure on him and offensively he has been fighting opponents that haven't been hard to find. More than anything, I don't think he was prepared for how Cain was going to fight and I don't think that he thought Cain could take his shots (and people do forget that although he was getting outstruck early, he landed some heavy shots on Cain and he walked through them).

I do agree that he didn't seem entirely prepared for what Cain brought. It excites me all the more the next time they fight just to see how JDS will now adjust.

Originally Posted by JKS
Thats one of his few faults......he doesnt move his head as much as he should. He never paid the price for it until Sat. He`s gotta improve that one aspect, otherwise there isnt much else on defence.

His takedown defence is great.....I mean Cain went 11 for 33 on takedown attemts, and in round 4 and 5, JDS stuffed 11 of 14, pretty dam good.

Good points. I believe it was JDS' not punishing those failed takedowns that cost him the fight. If you don't make your opponent pay for a failed takedown then he can just keep doing it over and over. He should have dropped a punch into Cain's ear or soccer kicked his arms after blowing those takedowns.

He has good boxing. Great boxing for MMA. Not sure if I would call him a great boxer though. I would need to see a match-up with someone who has good hands but no TD's.

Ya, I was listing those names in regards to punchers that weren't necessarily known for their combinations. As far as JDS keeping his hands up, I don't think that it is something that will necessarily help him. Keeping his hands low certainly does improve his TDD and, furthermore, it isn't necessarily something that would improve his defense. A high guard in MMA (or many would argue even in boxing) isn't necessarily going to make his defense better. Footwork and head positioning are the two areas where he could certainly improve without sacrificing where he puts his hands.

I know why you listed those names so no worry there. I was referring more to his lack of basic defensive principles. When movement isn't enough put your damn hands up!

The way he laid on the cage and took those shots showed his inability to adjust.

Footwork and and head movement is what he had been relying on until he he came across someone faster and had no answer. Those are good enough for him to win when he has a speed advantage but when he didn't he was a punching bag.

When plan A doesn't work and there isn't a plan B that is a huge issue. Plan to evade sure, but when you can't know how to block.

Too bad the ufc never adopted pride rules. Cain would have been a lot more cautious with tds if his head had the chance to be punted into the third row with a missed one.

He and Hunt have the best boxing in the HW division and he is not really a brawler either

I was never one to be on the JDS bandwagon as saying his boxing was the best in the UFC or the HW division for that matter. I have always said he was more of a brawler.

When you watch JDS hit pads his speed is fairly good and repeats some combos. But during fights you rarely ever see him use combos. During fights I have seen alot more combos thrown by Chuck,Rampage,Penn,Diaz and Anderson. Please refer to some particular fight in which he did use alot of them or some.

It seems JDS relies upon the looping overhand right and the uppercut. He throws those repeatedly and I bet more fighters will be looking for those as he will get more and more predictable with it.

I have also noticed that the jabs he throws during fights are really not that crisp when compared to other fighters in the UFC particularly the left hand jab as he lazily puts it out there and have no snap to it. Not a straight stiff jabs at all. With alot of times not even coming close to landing it with not gauging his distance very well.

His defense consisting of holding his hands low has worked against all the slow fighters he has fought but once somebody (Cain) who was a little quicker with his hands than the previous guys then JDS got bombed on. JDS has said that he held his hands low to avoid the TD's but he has always held them low no matter who he fought.

To me from a technical aspect it looked like Cain has the better boxing and is quicker with his hands than JDS. I didnt see any really good footwork or head movement by JDS to substitute for his lack of having his hands up either.

good post, I agree on the whole.

But to be fair JDS was seriousssslyy gassed by round 2 which would of seriously affected the crispness of his jab

Cain exposed the same flaw in JDS's style that Fedor exposed in Crocop's. Neither guy is nearly as dangerous if you constantly force them to move backward.

Everytime Junior set his feet to land a counter, Cain drove forward to make him defend his hips. If he tried to throw weak shots backing up without planting his feet, Cain made him pay with power punches.

Junior's a great striker, but he needs to shore up this hole or this blueprint will be followed by everyone who fights him from here on out.

I was never one to be on the JDS bandwagon as saying his boxing was the best in the UFC or the HW division for that matter. I have always said he was more of a brawler.

You're going to catch some shit for this as a big portion of Sherdog is still mourning over the ass whooping Cain gave him but I agree 100%. Cain's striking has always looked more crisp than JDS'.

I've always thought his boxing was pretty overrated. It's obviously efficient and gets the job done and he has crazy power but for some reason whenever I see him fight I've always thought his boxing just looked weird. Can't place my finger on it, but I always expect him to get outstruck.

He's still a great boxer by MMA standards, which admittedly isn't saying much. He focused on defending the Takedown instead of Cains punches and payed for it.

He's also benefited from never facing anyone with decent-good striking before. Other than Cain, a way past his prime CroCop was probably the best striker he faced and JDS was never really in total control.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back