Why does the "boxing" of JDS not seem that good?

SUPERCHARGED

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was never one to be on the JDS bandwagon as saying his boxing was the best in the UFC or the HW division for that matter. I have always said he was more of a brawler.

When you watch JDS hit pads his speed is fairly good and repeats some combos. But during fights you rarely ever see him use combos. During fights I have seen alot more combos thrown by Chuck,Rampage,Penn,Diaz and Anderson. Please refer to some particular fight in which he did use alot of them or some.

It seems JDS relies upon the looping overhand right and the uppercut. He throws those repeatedly and I bet more fighters will be looking for those as he will get more and more predictable with it.

I have also noticed that the jabs he throws during fights are really not that crisp when compared to other fighters in the UFC particularly the left hand jab as he lazily puts it out there and have no snap to it. Not a straight stiff jabs at all. With alot of times not even coming close to landing it with not gauging his distance very well.

His defense consisting of holding his hands low has worked against all the slow fighters he has fought but once somebody (Cain) who was a little quicker with his hands than the previous guys then JDS got bombed on. JDS has said that he held his hands low to avoid the TD's but he has always held them low no matter who he fought.

To me from a technical aspect it looked like Cain has the better boxing and is quicker with his hands than JDS. I didnt see any really good footwork or head movement by JDS to substitute for his lack of having his hands up either.

What are some other thoughts about this.

Cain does not have better boxing. Did Cain fear a takedown from JDS? I doubt it. JDS kept his hands low and paid for it. If you really take that much stock into JDS' performance you might want to consider the fact that he was rocked early in the first which definitely dictated the next couple rounds in the fight.

His style isn't a boxer's. He's like Machida, but relies more on punches than kicks.

Its all about the set-ups he uses to land his big shots and the jab he uses is normally to body to get his opponents to drop their hands.

JDS actually does have a respectable jab when he focuses on using it. Also, since when is punching in combination, necessarily the measure of a great boxer. I can name plenty of great boxers that weren't known at all for their combinations. He isn't a great boxer by objective standards but he still is damn good for MMA. He simply could handle the pressure that was put on him and he just wilted under the pace. He isn't great off the backfoot.

His style isn't a boxer's. He's like Machida, but relies more on punches than kicks.

I don't understand what you mean by this. He doesn't have a shotokan karetaka's style, at all.

I agree technically he can be lacking. He relies upon his speed, footwork and reflexes to avoid strikes and relies upon power and usually wild haymakers for attacking. Needs to tighten up the boxing a bit to avoid what happened at the hands of Cain. Actually he should mix kicks into his attack more and possibly takedowns to mix things up.

How do you compare the style of Machida to that of JDS? Machida comes from all angles with kicks and punches. JDS does not.

I don't understand what you mean by this. He doesn't have a karetaka's style, at all.

He darts in and out and stands more sideways, like Machida. It's a style optimized for fighting rasslers who want just want to get a hold of you.

TS some great Boxers have their hands down when they fight. RJJ, Martinez and Vitali are among them. I'm not comparing Dos Santos to those fighters in striking offcourse, but he's generally much better than other strikers in MMA anyway.

Boxing is the least developed discipline in MMA. We see top fighters from all other disciplines but not in Boxing, it doesn't make sense for elite Boxers to come to MMA now.

Now talking about strikers in MMA Dos Santos is among the best, in my view Anderson being the best that's what I thought before and that's what I think now. The threat of the takedown affected Dos Santos, I think he'll improve.

Decent thread by the way you're being more fair to Dos Santos here.

JDS actually does have a respectable jab when he focuses on using it. Also, since when is punching in combination, necessarily the measure of a great boxer. I can name plenty of great boxers that weren't known at all for their combinations. He isn't a great boxer by objective standards but he still is damn good for MMA. He simply could handle the pressure that was put on him and he just wilted under the pace. He isn't great off the backfoot.

Great post.

He darts in and out and stands more sideways, like Machida. It's a style optimized for fighting rasslers who want just want to get a hold of you.

The stance of Machida is different than that of JDS by a long shot. I agree that JDS tries to get in and out but is not as effective as Machida with the "darting" part of it as JDS seems to get hit alot more.

Throwing combos doesn't equal good boxing and plenty of brawlers throw combos Sean Sherk threw major combos and his boxing was shit.

The combo is not the only measure but a very good variable. When you watch boxers they snap that jab out there very quick at all weight classes amateur and pro. Point to a fight as where he even does that?

Please do

He fights in more or less a classical boxing stance with his hands low. He goes out and he boxes.

The combo is not the only measure but a very good variable. When you watch boxers they snap that jab out there very quick at all weight classes amateur and pro. Point to a fight as where he even does that?

Against Carwin and Mir.

Please do

Wladimir isn't known for his combinations but he's the best heavyweight striker.

JDS certainly depends on his chin for defence quite a bit, Fedor also held his hands low but he made up for it with exellent hip movement for much of his career.

The big hole in JDS's game for me was the lack of anything that could counter a aggressive technically decent opponant. Those big looping shots of his are IMHO much more effective at mid range where they come in at tough to block angles and sweep a large area. In the Cain rematch he was IMHO really crying out for a good powerful straight punch or decent knees that could punish forward movement.

He has a passable jab but vs someone like Cain trying to hustle you that simpley wasnt enough.

I've been saying for a while that people focus too much on his offensive boxing because he's finished people with it.

He's like how Chuck was: It's like he thinks he'll get there first and nothing else matters. I wish I knew more about boxing so I could express my thoughts better. His head is usually on the "center line" (or whatever they call it) and he gets hit because of it.

Back