Why does the "boxing" of JDS not seem that good?

Please do

Charley Burley, Lennox Lewis, Wladimir Klitschko, Larry Holmes, Floyd Mayweather Jr. (he's won whole fights just sitting back and potshotting but he certainly can punch in combination when he needs to), Roy Jones Jr. (for large stretches he'd just pot shot), Bernard Hopkins (later in his career), Sandy Saddler, Andre Ward is largely a one punch at a time fighter, and Ike Quartey (if we want to call him great). Just off the top of my head.

Last edited:
He uses combination punching to beat almost everyone he's fought. Struve, Mir, and Carwin all took more than a few barrage of punches.

If anything is overrated by the ufc about Jds its his power. I don't think he has this 1 shot 1 kill power they say he does. He can definitely hurt a person with 1 shot, but flat out KO I don't even think Werdum was out from the uppercut. It was the follow up where he actually KOs them.

TS some great Boxers have their hands down when they fight. RJJ, Martinez and Vitali are among them. I'm not comparing Dos Santos to those fighters in striking offcourse, but he's generally much better than other strikers in MMA anyway.

Boxing is the least developed discipline in MMA. We see top fighters from all other disciplines but not in Boxing, it doesn't make sense for elite Boxers to come to MMA now.

Now talking about strikers in MMA Dos Santos is among the best, in my view Anderson being the best that's what I thought before and that's what I think now. The threat of the takedown affected Dos Santos, I think he'll improve.

Decent thread by the way you're being more fair to Dos Santos here.

Your first two paragraphs are a given. I am trying to be more analytical about what I am seeing in regards to his boxing.

I would agree that he is among the best in striking in the UFC but I just dont see the technical boxing that many are talking about.

I agree that the TD affected JDS. But in the past I have said that the threat of TD affected Overeem against Werdum but most all JDS fans said that was BS...until they saw JDS get manhandled where the TD was a major factor now all of a sudden it is legit reason.

Thanks for the compliment by the way.

I love JDS and I hate the fact that he lost to Cain, although I do like Cain too.. But JDS more.

Anyways, I have always been thinking that JDS boxing looks bad technically. He has wild haymakers which you can see mile away, but he is fast indeed. He takes many shots to chin, Nelson and Crocop both tagged him good (but his chin is great so he didn't get knocked down or rocked)

Would love to see tighter guard for him and more crisp punches.

He doesn't have the throwing technique of a boxer but his footwork is absolutely amazing and he has great hands. When discussing MMA, he's the most successful fighter using trains closely related to boxing arguably of all time. He relies a lot on his hands and doesn't threaten to get takedowns or use his BJJ.

Let's stop trying to criticize the guy just because of 1 fight. He's an amazing fighter and still has a great chance to get his title back. Let's leave it to sherdog idiots to suddenly not be excited at a potential third fight between the two. It'll be much different.

JDS doesn't hang his hands low against everyone. If you think Cain is a better striker than JDS than you're blind. Just look at the articles done by TheStrikingGuy, and you'll see just how technical he is.

JDS doesn't hang his hands low against everyone. If you think Cain is a better striker than JDS than you're blind. Just look at the articles done by TheStrikingGuy, and you'll see just how technical he is.

How do measure "better" though?

Application in (this case) an actual fight, no?

If that's the case, Cain outstruck JDS which means he's "better" right?

Charley Burley, Lennox Lewis, Wladimir Klitschko, Larry Holmes, Floyd Mayweather Jr. (he's won whole fights just sitting back and potshotting but he certainly can punch in combination when he needs to), Roy Jones Jr. (for large stretches he'd just pot shot), Bernard Hopkins (later in his career), Andre Ward is largely a one punch at a time fighter, and Ike Quartey (if we want to call him great). Just off the top of my head.

I very much disagree. Most of the fighters you just mentioned mixed their combos up very well with their snapping jabs.

He doesn't have the throwing technique of a boxer but his footwork is absolutely amazing and he has great hands. When discussing MMA, he's the most successful fighter using trains closely related to boxing arguably of all time. He relies a lot on his hands and doesn't threaten to get takedowns or use his BJJ.

Let's stop trying to criticize the guy just because of 1 fight. He's an amazing fighter and still has a great chance to get his title back. Let's leave it to sherdog idiots to suddenly not be excited at a potential third fight between the two. It'll be much different.

Sound defensive footwork (which is an absolutely massive part of boxing) would have allowed JDS to deal with the pressure that Cain was putting on him. It is far from amazing.

Please name a fight where he held his hands up in anything like a boxer in defensive style?

I very much disagree. Most of the fighters you just mentioned mixed their combos up very well with their snapping jabs.

Can you tell me which fighters from that list are known for their combination punching?

Sound defensive footwork (which is an absolutely massive part of boxing) would have allowed JDS to deal with the pressure that Cain was putting on him. It is far from amazing.

Did you see what was happening before that punch? That footwork helped him defend about 8 takedowns from Cain. I don't remember the last time Cain wasn't able to complete a takedown. Let's not sit here and try to deny his ability just because of what happened after that fight. He gassed after that nasty knockdown and the fight was pretty much over at that point.

Your first two paragraphs are a given. I am trying to be more analytical about what I am seeing in regards to his boxing.

I would agree that he is among the best in striking in the UFC but I just dont see the technical boxing that many are talking about.

I agree that the TD affected JDS. But in the past I have said that the threat of TD affected Overeem against Werdum but most all JDS fans said that was BS...until they saw JDS get manhandled where the TD was a major factor now all of a sudden it is legit reason.

Thanks for the compliment by the way.

Just to elaborate on the point about elite Boxers not coming to MMA, I meant because of the money you probably knew what I meant but I just wanna make that clear. Overeem did get affected by the takedown threat from Werdum but he also showed flaws, just like Dos Santos was affected by the takedown from Cain but he also showed flaws too.

Both Overeem and Dos Santos showed flaws in their striking, we can't just blame it on takedowns. They are both among the best strikers in MMA still though.

That is exactly what I saw as well. I did not see the amazing footwork nor the good head movement that they are talking about at all.

I did see head movement and good footwork from Cain though as he got inside of JDS.

i think it's hard to judge his boxing in this fight when the vast majority of the time spent on the feet was spent frantically avoiding the tds.

Did you see what was happening before that punch? That footwork helped him defend about 8 takedowns from Cain. I don't remember the last time Cain wasn't able to complete a takedown. Let's not sit here and try to deny his ability just because of what happened after that fight. He gassed after that nasty knockdown and the fight was pretty much over at that point.

He was getting outstruck long before the knockdown. He was outjabbed and trapped against the cage for the majority of the first round. He has never had to demonstrate sound footwork because nobody has ever put serious pressure on him. They were overwhelmed by his hand speed and power.

Back