Why does Fedor only have 3 title defenses in Pride?

All-time is about accomplishments, not just resume, but his resume is extremely overrated. Werdum, JDS, and even Barnett have better resumes. Mir has a case, especially for level of comp, and he has 2 finishes over Nog.

I'm a fan, brother, but he's overrated as all hell. He's nowhere close to the #2 HW of all-time. It is what it is.
Gotta disagree about JDS, Werdum, and Barnett having better resumes. No way.

In terms of accomplishments, Nog was a PRIDE HW champ, PRIDE Interim HW champ, and UFC Interim HW champ. I will admit that the PRIDE Interim was unnecessary. Nog suffers from lack of official title defenses because of the way PRIDE booked—but after winning the PRIDE HW belt, he won 5 straight fights that included Semmy and Hendo. After winning the PRIDE Interim belt, he won 3 straight fights that included Herring and Kharitonov. You listed Barnett, but in terms of accomplishment he won one UFC HW belt and was immediately stripped. Werdum has no defenses. JDS has 1 defense. I think Nog’s accomplishments eclipse those.

It wasn't as structured as today's promotions. He also beat legit guys that weren't defenses. That's why it's dumb when people laugh at his "between" fights because some of them were real challenges but that doesn't change that he still never lost to anyone until later.

Pride had WWE style title defenses, like Gomi for example lost to Marcus Aurelius, but didn't lose his belt because it was a non title fight

Besides Fedor and maybe CroCop, UFC had the better HW fighters.

Hell, Big Nog was only six months out of PRIDE when he fought Mir !
EReY.gif

If you're going to just make facts up, just go all the way with it. Example: Hell, Mir came over from the UFC and beat Nog in Pride !

Besides Fedor and maybe CroCop, UFC had the better HW fighters.

Hell, Big Nog was only six months out of PRIDE when he fought Mir !
EReY.gif

I'm not surprised a tomato can poster with a 2023 account would discount Big Nog and Barnett like that.

I am surprised, however, at your lack of research since you were committed enough to search for a gif.

Big Nog’s last PRIDE fight was NYE 2006. Pride’s last event was in April 2007.

He fought Herring in the UFC in July 2007, won the intern HW title in a fight with Sylvia in April 2008, and lost to Mir in December 2008. I have always been a fan of Frank but it’s worth mentioning that Nog was reported as having a really bad staph infection before that fight (the rematch was awesome though!).

Anyway, I don’t think that’s six months, brother.

In terms of accomplishments, Nog was a PRIDE HW champ, PRIDE Interim HW champ, and UFC Interim HW champ. I will admit that the PRIDE Interim was unnecessary. Nog suffers from lack of official title defenses because of the way PRIDE booked—but after winning the PRIDE HW belt, he won 5 straight fights that included Semmy and Hendo. After winning the PRIDE Interim belt, he won 3 straight fights that included Herring and Kharitonov. You listed Barnett, but in terms of accomplishment he won one UFC HW belt and was immediately stripped. Werdum has no defenses. JDS has 1 defense. I think Nog’s accomplishments eclipse those.

<PlusJuan>

Nah. Coleman and Randleman for example were both ranked in 2004 when Fedor fought them but aren’t counted as title defenses.
Fujita, Big Tim, Arlovski, Randleman, Coleman title worthy fights at the time in addition to Nog, CroCop and Hunt. Fedor has a lot of questionable opponents as well (low ranked or MW-LHW) but I see them as fillers. He would still have a good fight at least once a year.

There's no one else who accomplished what he did for as long. Stipe comes the closest but his run consists of 6 wins.
The Goat SHOULD have been Cain.
I guess he isn't. But if you base it on at his best, who was the best we've ever seen? I'd say Cain. Based on potential but never fully realized? I'm tempted to say Brock. The best based on UFC title defenses is Stipe.
But can you honestly say Stipe could've beaten Brock or Cain at their best?

Back then, the best heavyweights in the UFC were Andrei Arlovski, Tim Sylvia, Frank Mir, Jeff Monson, Gan McGee and Paul Buentello.

Nobody ever talks about them with Fedor. It's the guys that showed up several years after Pride had died that people demand that Fedor should have fought like Lesnar, Carwin, Ubereem, Cain, JDS, etc...
People also conveniently leave out the fact that those UFC fighters you listed were also struggling by the time PRIDE was acquired by the UFC in 2007. Hell by 2007 only Mir was still in the UFC.

Because Pride was big into Grand Prixs. If you go back to the same era and look at the UFC HW roster it was a huge joke.

You basically had to beat the champ to become #1 contender.

Gomi. Wanderlei / Arona. Saku / Wanderlei...

Shoot, Hendo had several losses after winning the 183 belt and never lost the title.

You basically had to beat the champ to become #1 contender.

Gomi. Wanderlei / Arona. Saku / Wanderlei...

Shoot, Hendo had several losses after winning the 183 belt and never lost the title.

yeah unless it was like clear top 2 guys fighting (Fedor/Cro Cop, Rampage/Wand, etc). Gomi winning that split was a miracle. Imagine how much more storied his career would be if he trained seriously during those years.

You look at Nogs career and he's undefeated between Hendo(2000) and Barnett(2006) besides losing to the GOAT and even those loses are very controversial and very close respectively with both being more definitely avenged, besides that and Fedor he's undefeated from debut until late 2008, a decade of being VERY active.

Very few post prime wins on Nogs resume as well, only when he himself was out of his prime.

None of the champions had more than a handful of title defenses. Fedor still fought the best in the organization, with the exception of Barnett. He beat everybody’s ass.

barnett never wanted to fight fedor. it was evident at the time.

Fedor was very afraid of Randy Couture. Randy would have beat Fedor at pretty much any stage of his career. Fedor got his ass beat in his prime in Strikeforce. he was great all juiced up in his 20s in Pride and thats it.

lol, this post is ridiculous. fedor would have destroyed randy couture. please tell me you're trying to be funny.

Back