Why does Fedor only have 3 title defenses in Pride?

lol, this post is ridiculous. fedor would have destroyed randy couture. please tell me you're trying to be funny.

Personally I think Sylvia and Arlovski were actually the more dangerous fights as both of them had fight ending power, in a ring especially I just don't see Randy having much chance at all due to lack of finishing ability.

Reactions: JKS
None of the champions had more than a handful of title defenses. Fedor still fought the best in the organization, with the exception of Barnett. He beat everybody’s ass.
nog and cro cop?
the rest are cans?

Besides Fedor and maybe CroCop, UFC had the better HW fighters.

Hell, Big Nog was only six months out of PRIDE when he fought Mir !
EReY.gif

You realize, despite the fact he wasn't super-old yet, Nog was like 30-something pro fights into his career, by the time he fought Mir, and was known to have absorbed a ton of damage. Point being; he was already past it by '08. Mir, meanwhile, absolutely peaked from '08-'10.

Fedor became heavyweight champion by beating Nog early on in his Pride career, however since beating Nog, he only had 3 title defenses out of 14 fights with Pride.

And while some of it was because of tournaments, a lot of it also wasn’t.

why wasn’t Fedor fighting contenders most of the time? Did pride simply not have enough heavyweights to legitimize title shots?

This is the why Pride was always gunna end before the UFC... they lacked structure when it came to titles ..

They wanted to put on a show on more then trying to build a sport...very Japanese of them as everything in Japan is it's own thing and doesn't need to be anything else then what it is ...when it happens

lol, this post is ridiculous. fedor would have destroyed randy couture. please tell me you're trying to be funny.

Personally I think Sylvia and Arlovski were actually the more dangerous fights as both of them had fight ending power, in a ring especially I just don't see Randy having much chance at all due to lack of finishing ability.

Randy actually matched up poorly against. Physically, he didn't have size, strength, or speed on Fedor. In terms of skill, everywhere he excelled, Fedor was as good/better at(in the clinch, on the mat). On top of which, Randy wasn't a one-shot KO type of guy, and wasn't known for slick submissions, either.

Anyone can lose on the right night, but realistically, the only path I see to Randy beating Fedor, would've been grinding out a competitive decision. And that would've been a lot easier said, than done, vs a a guy who is faster, stronger, has KO power, great clinch, great GNP, great guard, etc. At least with Timmeh, AA, Mir, they bring something to table that Fedor's can't necessarily match.

The post i replied to memtioned old Mir ...

... so age only matters when its Fedor that loses?

lol
Prime Fedor beats Prime Mir. I think. The issue is, who was Prime Mir? The very young, small Mir pre motorcycle accident? I can't honestly assess that Mir. Some say that was him at his best.
I'm thinking about Huge Mir that lost to Lesnar and Carwin.

Randy actually matched up poorly against. Physically, he didn't have size, strength, or speed on Fedor. In terms of skill, everywhere he excelled, Fedor was as good/better at(in the clinch, on the mat). On top of which, Randy wasn't a one-shot KO type of guy, and wasn't known for slick submissions, either.

Anyone can lose on the right night, but realistically, the only path I see to Randy beating Fedor, would've been grinding out a competitive decision. And that would've been a lot easier said, than done, vs a a guy who is faster, stronger, has KO power, great clinch, great GNP, great guard, etc. At least with Timmeh, AA, Mir, they bring something to table that Fedor's can't necessarily match.

I just don't see there being anywere Randy could take the fight which would be safe for him and I think his lack of finishing ability would mean Fedor wouldnt have to worry much about being ultra aggressive.

As a Fedor fan the Arlovski fight was definitely the one which I was the most worried about although I was also a bigger fan of Andrei than the other two.

Last edited:
I just don't see there being anywere Randy could take the fight which would be safe for him and I think his lack of finishing ability would mean Fedor would have to worry much about being ultra aggressive.

As a Fedor fan the Arlovski fight was definitely the one which I was the most worried about although I was also a bigger fan of Andrei than the other two.
Randy’s main weapon would be to wall n stall I think. Fedor had trouble being pinned against the cage even by Hendo. But when they were looking to book Fedor-Couture, it was going to be in Affliction anyhow which was in a ring. So I think Randy would be in trouble. I think he’d be at a disadvantage against Fedor everywhere.

Fedor became heavyweight champion by beating Nog early on in his Pride career, however since beating Nog, he only had 3 title defenses out of 14 fights with Pride.

And while some of it was because of tournaments, a lot of it also wasn’t.

why wasn’t Fedor fighting contenders most of the time? Did pride simply not have enough heavyweights to legitimize title shots?

It was Prides structure.

Wandy had the same shit at LHW if you look at his resume. Lots of non title fights and early tournament fights. This made long streaks easier.

Randy’s main weapon would be to wall n stall I think. Fedor had trouble being pinned against the cage even by Hendo. But when they were looking to book Fedor-Couture, it was going to be in Affliction anyhow which was in a ring. So I think Randy would be in trouble. I think he’d be at a disadvantage against Fedor everywhere.

Even against Hendo though with a further declined Fedor in a cage he was able to exchange with Dan and dropped him before the reversal and questionable follow up/stoppage and I don't think Randy had the same power.

Fedor was never the kind of guy to happily sit in a bad position and lose a decision even latter in his career, I mean even on the decline the reality is he never lost a decision.

There is no question about the topic at hand here though, which is the HW era he reigned over.

The UFC champions at the time were Frank Mir, Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski. He defeated all of them.

UFC HW division was utter dogshit compared to Pride back then

Except that Mir is 3-0 with 3 finished against Nog and CC, and Ricco was absolutely screwed vs nog

Except that Mir is 3-0 with 3 finished against Nog and CC, and Ricco was absolutely screwed vs nog
Not that I really care but Mir lost to Fedor, Barnett, Hunt, Overeem.....

What is the argument again?

Back