Why does Fedor only have 3 title defenses in Pride?

i believe a lot of his fights were in tournaments - not specifically for the title, but for the Grand Prix Title.
that was exactly what I was thinking. The Winners of each bracket of GP were fighting for a title, kind of like they do in PFL.

Almost exactly 2 years.

Nog is still one of (if not the) most overrated fighters on Sherdog. Awesome guy, great fighter, but seriously overrated round here.
You think he’s overrated? I think he’s very underrated around here. Maybe it’d be more accurate to just say he’s polarizing, in the sense that a lot of ppl only saw the version of Nog in the latter part of his career.

But you look at the guy’s resume: Couture, Sylvia, Herring, Barnett, Werdum, Cro Cop, Kharitonov, Ricco, Semmy Schilt, Hendo, Mark Coleman, Gary Goodridge…I mean goddamn. Plus he’s got a whole list of wins that maybe aren’t elite but are solid, like Enson Inoue, Valentijn Overeem, Volk Han, Brendan Schaub, the scary version of Sapp, etc.

Nog’s resume is completely insane, pretty tough to overrate that.

that was exactly what I was thinking. The Winners of each bracket of GP were fighting for a title, kind of like they do in PFL.
Or how Strikeforce did their HW Grand Prix. The HW champ was in the tournament but the belt wasn’t on the line, it was just a Grand Prix belt everyone was fighting for.

No chance they'd do Gomi that way.
Why not? WWF used to have the champ get "beat" by the opponent prior to the ppv all the time ... they cut the promo of triple H getting knocked out in a non title bout.. then on PPV get his revenge in the official match...

Why not? WWF used to have the champ get "beat" by the opponent prior to the ppv all the time ... they cut the promo of triple H getting knocked out in a non title bout.. then on PPV get his revenge in the official match...
Kinda insulting to Aurelio and the beautiful arm triangle he won with.

Of the few confirmed fixes in PRIDE, the common thread is that they were fixed to make the Japanese fighter look good.

You think he’s overrated? I think he’s very underrated around here. Maybe it’d be more accurate to just say he’s polarizing, in the sense that a lot of ppl only saw the version of Nog in the latter part of his career.

But you look at the guy’s resume: Couture, Sylvia, Herring, Barnett, Werdum, Cro Cop, Kharitonov, Ricco, Semmy Schilt, Hendo, Mark Coleman, Gary Goodridge…I mean goddamn. Plus he’s got a whole list of wins that maybe aren’t elite but are solid, like Enson Inoue, Valentijn Overeem, Volk Han, Brendan Schaub, the scary version of Sapp, etc.

Nog’s resume is completely insane, pretty tough to overrate that.

Basically they got sold on BS hype by the UFC which was trying to pretend a fast declining Nog was still at his best, pushing the idea that he "always took a beating" when really that only happened a handful of times during his best years(Fedor, Crocop and Sapp).

Kinda insulting to Aurelio and the beautiful arm triangle he won with.

Of the few confirmed fixes in PRIDE, the common thread is that they were fixed to make the Japanese fighter look good.
Not only that, but fixing fights was generally something that happened when PRIDE was a new org (early UFC had some fixed fights, too). PRIDE wasn’t really fixing fights anymore by the time Fedor came on the scene in 2002, and certainly not by ‘05/‘06 or whenever that Gomi fight was.

I don't know if I call what they did successful. If it was successful they'd still be around. Pride had a very nice run for about 10 years. With really a 5 year window of greatness at the time from at least the fans perspective. Most things behind the scenes was a mess many of those years.
Oh it definitely was succesful, but that didn't translate to it being ethical to Japanese culture

Are you arguing the ufc bums were better? He destroyed their champs. Big Tim and fkin Arlovski...

Lol at the ufc having better HWs. No sir.
Yea, at that particular time you're right. But pretty much every division is questionable compared to more recently.

Yea, at that particular time you're right. But pretty much every division is questionable compared to more recently.
There is no question about the topic at hand here though, which is the HW era he reigned over.

The UFC champions at the time were Frank Mir, Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski. He defeated all of them.

UFC HW division was utter dogshit compared to Pride back then

He fought in open weight a few times, the Grand Prix tourneys, and also competed in Sambo championships the entire time. It's surprising to know that most of his fights were not for the title, but he eliminated a lot of his competition in those tourney fights anyways.

Pride was mostly/all about the entertainment.

It was definitely less serious than the UFC in terms of doing actual rankings and building up contenders and so on, and more leaning to the circus side of MMA.

As if UFC is serious about rankings.
I know you're not that gullible.

Back then, the best heavyweights in the UFC were Andrei Arlovski, Tim Sylvia, Frank Mir, Jeff Monson, Gan McGee and Paul Buentello.

Nobody ever talks about them with Fedor. It's the guys that showed up several years after Pride had died that people demand that Fedor should have fought like Lesnar, Carwin, Ubereem, Cain, JDS, etc...
Fedor feared the consequences for sure.

Do you think Tim Sylvia, Andrei Arlovski, Randy Couture, and Frank Mir made up a better heavyweight division than Pride?
When you put it that way....
Fedor, Cro, and Big Nog, at their youngest and best....
Yea, those three beat that era, with Couture being the toughest out.
By the time Pride ended their big 3 HWs started to decline. Nog did ok in the UFC, but to see him get subbed by Mir (and cro getting ko'd by Mir) just wasn't pleasant. I guess the best Pride fighter to come over with any kind of prime left in him was Rampage. He was NOT the best of Pride, but he was the freshest and healthiest.
Shogun beat Lyoto but otherwise he wasn't the guy we saw in Pride.

Do you think Tim Sylvia, Andrei Arlovski, Randy Couture, and Frank Mir made up a better heavyweight division than Pride?
Only Randy. Possibly.
Fedor proved it in Affliction. Really, his last blaze of Glory before the descent.

Nobody cares about your overall record when you go 7-1-1 in your last nine fights, and that one loss was to prime Nog. Gary was legit at the time.

Lol ur username says everything I need to know... moving on

There's no way Fedor could beat Arlovski, Sylvia, or Frank Mir.
Sylvia I think would have been a tough out, just due to his size and surprising striking acumen. Mir though was never more than a passable striker at best, and arlovski was always super chinny. I could see Fedor beating both of them easily. And I'm no Fedor nut hugger, I think he's one of the most overrated fighters ever.

When you put it that way....
Fedor, Cro, and Big Nog, at their youngest and best....
Yea, those three beat that era, with Couture being the toughest out.
By the time Pride ended their big 3 HWs started to decline. Nog did ok in the UFC, but to see him get subbed by Mir (and cro getting ko'd by Mir) just wasn't pleasant. I guess the best Pride fighter to come over with any kind of prime left in him was Rampage. He was NOT the best of Pride, but he was the freshest and healthiest.
Shogun beat Lyoto but otherwise he wasn't the guy we saw in Pride.
Anderson Silva’s post-PRIDE run was pretty notable.
Werdum and Hendo as well.

Back