Why do movie stars think they are scientists?

They can talk all they want but what gets me is the sanctimonious bullshit on top of the wild hypocrisy.

DeCaprio, drives a Prius? Wow, so conscientious....

People seem to ignore when he charters a private gulfstream jet every other month and burns through approx 6000 gallons of jet A fuel per round trip.

ext1_e.jpg

Guy burns through more fuel on one vacation than the amount I use driving my car for five years
but I'm supposed to listen to him ramble on about being stewards of the environment?

You shut your mouth, Plebeian
holygrail.jpg

Do as they the say, not as they do...

They can talk all they want but what gets me is the sanctimonious bullshit on top of the wild hypocrisy.

DeCaprio, drives a Prius? Wow, so conscientious....

People seem to ignore when he charters a private gulfstream jet every other month and burns through approx 6000 gallons of jet A fuel per round trip.

ext1_e.jpg

Guy burns through more fuel on one vacation than the amount I use driving my car for five years
but I'm supposed to listen to him ramble on about being stewards of the environment?

They get the same pass that all rich celebs get. Whether it's multi-millionaire Micheal Moore talking about the evils of capitalism. or Bill Maher talking about the evils of materialism from his mansion.

"Just because they're complete fucking hypocrites, doesn't mean they're not allowed to have an opinion."

It's idiotic to require people to have educations in the topics they bring up if they are repeating what the people who DO have the educations are saying.

It's the people who are making ridiculous claims that there is not a reliable, knowledgeable source to back their viewpoint who need to either get educated or shut up.

It's idiotic to require people to have educations in the topics they bring up if they are repeating what the people who DO have the educations are saying.

It's the people who are making ridiculous claims that there is not a reliable, knowledgeable source to back their viewpoint who need to either get educated or shut up.

Problem is, him and many like him don't just repeat what "people who DO have education are saying." They repeat whatever populist BS that sounds good for their narrative. Case in point:

"We were in Calgary and the locals were saying, ‘This has never happened in our province, ever,’” he said to the largely guild and Academy audience. “We would come and there would be eight feet of snow, and then all of a sudden a warm gust of wind would come.”

What he experienced was, of course, a chinook, a completely routine weather phenomenon in Alberta. Essentially, they’re a blast of warm air from the Rocky Mountains that bring a touch of summer to the dead of winter. Which means the “locals” were either equally ill-informed or liars from Toronto.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/laurenstrap...nced-a-chinook-in-alberta-and-freak#.fiM6yOlB

Pair him literally willing to repeat - to a crowd, no less - whatever BS someone feeds him that sounds like it suits his narrative with climate change science being the most politically slanted of any type of science out there, and... Well, having an ignorant mouthpiece who parrots whatever sounds good isn't a good thing for actually cutting through the cloud of BS floating around the issue. DiCaprio opening his mouth on the subject is making people understand it less, not more, and distracting from the actual legitimate work being done in the field.

Mark ruffallo is about as informed as a person can get about fracking and how it's destroying America.

Let's not forget that BP spent $16 million on Kevin Costner's Suckey-Suckey Oil machine after the Deepwater Horizon blowed up.

$16,000,000.

3000 Miles to Graceland.

He didn't claim to be a scientist or talk about the mechanisms that change global climate... his message was just that people should acknowledge its happening so we can work together to find a solution to the problem.

The only people who would be butthurt about this are the ones who deny climate change for political reasons.

An interesting thread with interesting responses. Personally I don't have a strong opinion on global warming and there's a reason for that:

Only those who:

a) have the academic background,
b) have access to all the relevant data, and
c) have the proper resources to interpret that data. . .

Really can have an expert opinion. That doesn't mean you aren't entitled to a general sort of layman's idea about what's going on but don't overstep the limits of your expertise.
Are we allowed to say evolution exists and that we should use our knowledge of it to fight disease? Or is our layman understanding of that, and our reliance on the word of the overwhelming majority of relevant scientists, some sort of affront? Why is it that in the area of climate change, we should shut up because we're not experts? Silly, silly, silly. It's a soft projection of denial onto others. Reject the reasoning, it's filth.

Are we allowed to say evolution exists and that we should use our knowledge of it to fight disease? Or is our layman understanding of that, and our reliance on the word of the overwhelming majority of relevant scientists, some sort of affront? Why is it that in the area of climate change, we should shut up because we're not experts? Silly, silly, silly. It's a soft projection of denial onto others. Reject the reasoning, it's filth.

If you're comfortable with simply accepting the word of others, then that's certainly you're prerogative. I am not, especially in areas that are in dispute. The fact is, there are scientists who are far more credentialed than myself who hold viewpoints that are to the contrary of the majority. History has shown us that sometimes these minority opinions are proven correct. It's the mavericks who innovate, not those who comfortably go along with what everyone else is saying.

I dont watch any awards shows- a bunch of narcissistic people giving each other awards. We should be giving our service men and women awards on national tv. Ive never served in the armed services, but these guys and girls have all my respect. Who in their right mind would take advice from an actor /actress? ?? They play make believe for a living for Gods sake! Grown men and women playing pretend!!! Wtf is the world coming to??

If you're comfortable with simply accepting the word of others, then that's certainly you're prerogative. I am not, especially in areas that are in dispute. The fact is, there are scientists who are far more credentialed than myself who hold viewpoints that are to the contrary of the majority. History has shown us that sometimes these minority opinions are proven correct. It's the mavericks who innovate, not those who comfortably go along with what everyone else is saying.
Yeah, those innovative science deniers. They're really innovating.

I'm reminded of one of my favorite quotes:

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

-- Arthur Schopenhauer

But more to your point, it's important to remember that "science" is merely a set of tools and techniques to draw conclusions about the world. Sometimes those conclusions are wrong, despite gaining major traction. They are the truths of day rather than actual truth, cast into the dustbin of history by future discoveries.

Leo probably flew there in his private jet.

But yeah, I hate it when celebrities do shit like that. I was at a concert once and in between songs the lead singer (I won't name the band) starts telling everyone in the audience that they should vote for Obama (this was while he was campaigning for his 2nd term).

I'm sure a bunch of nitwits who were at the show voted for Obama simply because the lead singer of the band they were fans of told them to.

It's irresponsible.

The Revenant was filmed in my neck of the woods and he was describing chinook winds as some crazy result of climate change. It was funny. For those of you who don't know what a chinook is, it's basically warm air coming from the pacific ocean over the rocky mountains and onto the prairies that can drastically change the temperature over a short period of time. It can go from below -20 °C (-4 °F) to as high as 10-20 °C (50-68 °F) in a couple of hours. We usually get quite a few chinooks through the winter.

Just listened to the small speech by Dicaprio on climate change and it was spot on.

Back