Why do movie stars think they are scientists?

What makes me cringe is ignorant religious right wingers that deny the existence of something that virtually every scientist in the world has confirmed.

Not Leonardo mentioning it and throwing shade at the multitude of Glenn Beck following science-deniers. That, I find awesome.

200w.gif

Meh. I never watch the Oscars, so I could care less what Leo or any other winner says during their speech.

Anyone who forms an opinion because of what a celebrity says should not be allowed to vote. Or have children.:rolleyes:

He wasn't speaking as a scientists, he was speaking as a celebrity spokesperson for a cause. I don't think he came out and implied any expertise or anything. I'd prefer thank you mom, thank you Jesus in that setting too, but he's the winner, if he wants to talk about the great taste of Folger's instant coffee up there, more power to him.

Is this true? very disturbing imo.

Those are all numbers pulled straight from the Pew Evangelism and Public Life survey of evangelical and evangelical leaders.

Why would you care about the ocean levels in 2075, or the Pacific Garbage Patch or the state of the atmosphere if you think Jesus will be back long before then?

Is this singular reason why the religious right isn't concerned with climate change? No, but it dovetails nicely with the economic and social interests of the right. Why bother fixing anything long term problem?

American Evangelical Christian is at its core, an apocalyptic doomsday cult, where only the in-group faithful will be saved by faith alone. Start putting their thinking in those terms and see things from that perspective and a lot of their political and social positions start making a lot more sense.

I hope he wins 18 Oscars and talks about it every damn time.

If this is about the Oscars, IDK how grown ass people can watch that shit. I'll look at the hell out of those actresses in their finest, tho.

I'm curious... How many here who are down with Leo talking about climate change know about his Chinook comments after filming The Revenant? It's all good and fine that he's talking in a direction you like, but when it's a guy who is the climate change equivalent of an anti-vaxxer that has a carbon footprint the size of a small town, some of us shake our heads a bit when he's constantly going on concerning the subject.

I was listening to Leonardo tonight and it just made me cringe. The guy is a good actor, but fuck, you do NOT understand the mechanisms that change global climate! And as such, don't run your mouth about it! It reminds me of Rosie o'donnell talking about the gulf war when in all reality she probably couldn't find Iraq on a map or name the two main factions in said country. The sad part is that these stars are more often than not sending out miss information that pretty much all young people will take as fact.

IN answer to your question; when you conquer a profession like acting/Hollywood, and get rich - you can afford to fill your mind with noble, conscientious shit like this; the self importance that industry gives you makes fools of everyone.

In this case Leo.

If you became a successful Hollywood actor, I guarantee, once you'd done all the hookers and blow to suit your fancy, you'd start worrying about sick children, endangered animals and the planet dieing (lol).

Is normal.

They can talk all they want but what gets me is the sanctimonious bullshit on top of the wild hypocrisy.

DeCaprio, drives a Prius? Wow, so conscientious....

People seem to ignore when he charters a private gulfstream jet every other month and burns through approx 6000 gallons of jet A fuel per round trip.

ext1_e.jpg

Guy burns through more fuel on one vacation than the amount I use driving my car for five years
but I'm supposed to listen to him ramble on about being stewards of the environment?

Those are all numbers pulled straight from the Pew Evangelism and Public Life survey of evangelical and evangelical leaders.

Why would you care about the ocean levels in 2075, or the Pacific Garbage Patch or the state of the atmosphere if you think Jesus will be back long before then?

Is this singular reason why the religious right isn't concerned with climate change? No, but it dovetails nicely with the economic and social interests of the right. Why bother fixing anything long term problem?

American Evangelical Christian is at its core, an apocalyptic doomsday cult, where only the in-group faithful will be saved by faith alone. Start putting their thinking in those terms and see things from that perspective and a lot of their political and social positions start making a lot more sense.

That is really bothersome doomsday cultists are like a ticking timebomb just look at ISIS.

Any event like a mass death due natural disaster will be taken as a sign from God like some people believed that 9/11 and Katrina is punishment from god.

Heck the Catholic bishop in the Philippines blamed the use of condoms for the 2013 great typhoon yolanda.

I wont be surprised if in the future a doomsday cultist mass murder other people not sharing their religious views because they claim the end is near.

Why are you watching that shit ts?

When you watch it you add a bit more relevancy to that frivolous dress up party.
Lol, I don't think an av has ever fit more perfectly with a post.

I'm curious... How many here who are down with Leo talking about climate change know about his Chinook comments after filming The Revenant? It's all good and fine that he's talking in a direction you like, but when it's a guy who is the climate change equivalent of an anti-vaxxer that has a carbon footprint the size of a small town, some of us shake our heads a bit when he's constantly going on concerning the subject.

Nah, those aren't the same thing, for no other reason than they're on opposite sides of scientific credibility and near universal scientific consensus. If Leo were a climate change denier, then he'd be doing the same thing and deserving of as much ridicule for flapping his dick suckers on a subject he knows nothing about.

Saying we should do something about climate change is more like saying that we should support the fight against cancer. You don't have to be a medical doctor or a medical scientist to know that cancer is bad m'kay? OTOH if you went on about how stuffing steamed broccoli up your ass cured your pancreatic cancer, STFU, m'kay?

Nah, those aren't the same thing, for no other reason than they're on opposite sides of scientific credibility and near universal scientific consensus. If Leo were a climate change denier, then he'd be doing the same thing and deserving of as much ridicule for flapping his dick suckers on a subject he knows nothing about.

Saying we should do something about climate change is more like saying that we should support the fight against cancer. You don't have to be a medical doctor or a medical scientist to know that cancer is bad m'kay? OTOH if you went on about how stuffing steamed broccoli up your ass cured your pancreatic cancer, STFU, m'kay?

Touché. The similarity isn't across the board, but it is similar in the respect that the guy doesn't have a f*cking clue what he's talking about, will hop onto whatever pop-fancy sounds good with no scientific backing and preach it like it's fact (seriously, the Chinook incident? This is what prompts the "anti-vaxxer" comments), and does it all while actually having a huge carbon footprint himself.

This all becomes complicated when this has to be the most politicized branch of science out there, and the debate about how much of the very real climate change is man made vs how much is a natural cycle of the earth is still alive. So much agenda funded and driven science flying around, so many statements selectively released by the media to drive an agenda, and you have asshats like Leo who are about as scientifically aware as anti-vaxxers who jump on whatever sounds good. All of this while the guy floats around on his yacht and charters private jets... I have trouble listening to him preach on the subject.

What makes me cringe is ignorant religious right wingers that deny the existence of something that virtually every scientist in the world has confirmed.

Not Leonardo mentioning it and throwing shade at the multitude of Glenn Beck following science-deniers. That, I find awesome.

Damn. Is there any thread in which you DON'T complain about religion?

Where did this notion come from that celebs can't be highly educated in the topics they're interested in?

"Shut up, you stupid actor! You don't know shit about shit!"

...the High School dropout said to the Harvard graduate.

because we, movie fans, empower them. millions of people watch them act. so they start thinking that things beyond their acting matter too, like their opinions on science for example.

I cringe anytime an actor or any type of celebrity tries to be an expert on anything other than what they are professionally.

They make their living as entertainers, and I pay attention to them as such. Their opinions outside of that are meaningless to me.

Liam neeson anti american gunmakers: shut the fuck up you British prick, keep getting rich making movies where you shoot people....his opinion dosent matter...

Muslim football player: shut the fuck up about being a Muslim and do the job you are paid to do, your opinion dosent matter.

Sean penn anti gun:....piss off and new cashing your checks you make in shoot em up films.

Etc, etc, etc....

These are actors, if they want to talk about acting, id listen. Anything other than that....pass.

It's not like Leo was saying something out of line with scientific consensus. So I don't know what point the TS is trying to make.

Back