Why do boxers don't look as smooth in mma as they do in boxing?

and to answere the TS question, they dont look smooth because its hard to when your opponent isnt pacing himself and throwing haymakers all day.

HOwever, I do see good boxing in MMA nowadays that DO look smooth. Marcus Davis, Kenflo, Penn, Anderson, even Kos, etc.

and to answere the TS question, they dont look smooth because its hard to when your opponent isnt pacing himself and throwing haymakers all day.

HOwever, I do see good boxing in MMA nowadays that DO look smooth. Marcus Davis, Kenflo, Penn, Anderson, even Kos, etc.

Wut

Put it this way....good improved boxing will do leaps and wonders for many MMA fighters and the sport in general....90% of MMA fighters can't even throw a proper punch. Replace all that chicken-winged, bar-room brawl style haymakers with crisp solid punches and it will look great. To say that MMA fighters can't apply boxing is simply false. It's like saying BJJ can't be used because of the gi or the lack of strikes, clearly not true. Anderson, BJ, KJ Noons, George Sotiropoulos, Kenflo in his last fight all showed that good boxing can be utilized. Now obviously not everyone can be Floyd Mayweather but at least attempt tp apply some technique for christ's sakes.

I see the Shertard force is strong in this thread. Go back to Pics and multimedia Steakeater if you think that lucky shot Kos and Big brawler Marcus Davis are smooth strikers. Kos is mainly a grappler and Davis is a decent striker in UFC terms. By the way, that double yellow looks much better than that gay Twilight pic you had for your avatar.

Put it this way....good improved boxing will do leaps and wonders for many MMA fighters and the sport in general....90% of MMA fighters can't even throw a proper punch. Replace all that chicken-winged, bar-room brawl style haymakers with crisp solid punches and it will look great. To say that MMA fighters can't apply boxing is simply false. It's like saying BJJ can't be used because of the gi or the lack of strikes, clearly not true. Anderson, BJ, KJ Noons, George Sotiropoulos, Kenflo in his last fight all showed that good boxing can be utilized. Now obviously not everyone can be Floyd Mayweather but at least attempt tp apply some technique for christ's sakes.
Yup. I think some people would be surprised as how far a good jab, distance, and some decent footwork can go in MMA.

I see the Shertard force is strong in this thread. Go back to Pics and multimedia Steakeater if you think that lucky shot Kos and Big brawler Marcus Davis are smooth strikers. Kos is mainly a grappler and Davis is a decent striker in UFC terms. By the way, that double yellow looks much better than that gay Twilight pic you had for your avatar.

Who cares if Kos is a grappler. You dont have to be a pro boxer to be smooth. Kos probably spends more time on his boxing then many successful pro boxers that I know.

Dont worry, 29 days till Cullen comes back

Who cares if Kos is a grappler. You dont have to be a pro boxer to be smooth. Kos probably spends more time on his boxing then many successful pro boxers that I know.

Dont worry, 29 days till Cullen comes back

He still looks like crap though.

Ignoring the TS's examples, there is a huge difference in the footwork, distancing and stance in MMA versus straight boxing. That is why a boxer should and generally will look different. I've trained in MMA, kickboxing and boxing so don't even bother arguing with me.

I know I have as well and I try to tell these "Boxing Purest" that but they seem to dismiss that fact and say the stance doesn't make the difference...

The answer to that is because they have more to be worried about than just taking a punch. There are take downs to look for, clinch games and standing submissions.

If dodging/ducking a punch was all that mattered then it'd look smoother...

The answer to that is because they have more to be worried about than just taking a punch. There are take downs to look for, clinch games and standing submissions.

This is part of the "problem," but when you have so many fighters brawling, throwing looping haymakers and shit, there is more to the issue.

If a pro cannot keep his composure, then they should not be called pros.

Any person that's ever competed in a competitive sport will understand this.

If a pro cannot keep his composure, then they should not be called pros.

Any person that's ever competed in a competitive sport will understand this.

I don't understand this. He's not questioning their composure. They simply cannot stand, move, attack, defend, etc. in exactly the same way they do in boxing. They'll get kicked to shit and taken down.

Another problem is most top level boxers will never give up their fat paychecks to give MMA a try....why bother? The chances of seeing Mayweather or Pacquiao level boxers in MMA are pretty slim....they are simply too big for MMA.

what's funny is a mayweather pacquiao fight will have a bigger purse than all mma fighters in the world combined.

what's funny is a mayweather pacquiao fight will have a bigger purse than all mma fighters in the world combined.
But but Dana said that all these guys are being taken care of by the UFC and don't forget the 10 million dollar backroom bonuses:icon_neut

Ignoring the TS's examples, there is a huge difference in the footwork, distancing and stance in MMA versus straight boxing. That is why a boxer should and generally will look different. I've trained in MMA, kickboxing and boxing so don't even bother arguing with me.

oh you trained? yeah no need to argue.

I don't understand this. He's not questioning their composure. They simply cannot stand, move, attack, defend, etc. in exactly the same way they do in boxing. They'll get kicked to shit and taken down.

Hmmm, yeah.

EDIT: It shouldn't affect you to the point where you're stand up turns to shit. If they really worry that much, then like I said they shouldn't be considered pros.

Hmmm, yeah.

EDIT: It shouldn't affect you to the point where you're stand up turns to shit. If they really worry that much, then like I said they shouldn't be considered pros.

Why did you quote my reply to his comment above the comment I was quoting?

Back