Why do boxers don't look as smooth in mma as they do in boxing?

Hmmm, yeah.

EDIT: It shouldn't affect you to the point where you're stand up turns to shit. If they really worry that much, then like I said they shouldn't be considered pros.

That's not what's happening dude. The guys who stand and trade with wild punches and chins up weren't tight, technical pro boxers beforehand. Worrying about kicks and takedowns doesn't make those guys fight that way. They would fight the same way regardless.

That's not what's happening dude. The guys who stand and trade with wild punches and chins up weren't tight, technical pro boxers beforehand. Worrying about kicks and takedowns doesn't make those guys fight that way. They would fight the same way regardless.

I don't quite understand your post.

I believe that striking should be improved. No one can argue that bad technique is good. I'm not saying a Mixed martial artist should only know striking. I'm trying to say great striking technique with excellent ground game can greatly increase the chances of winning.

EDIT: Wow, I edited this post like 7 times.

I don't quite understand your post.

I believe that striking should be improved. No one can argue that bad technique is good. I'm not saying a Mixed martial artist should only know striking. I'm trying to say great striking technique with excellent ground game can greatly increase the chances of winning.

EDIT: Wow, I edited this post like 7 times.

On that we agree, and here is where this discourse comes to an end.

^^^

Cant edit, but I know that Bonnar wasnt a GG champ, just a competitor, but that was the only name that came off the top of my head who competed in the GG tourney and now fights MMA.

brandon schaub won his local golden gloves and darill "titties" schoonover won the florida golden gloves schoonover sucks he gets out struck by mma fighters.

Kinda off-topic but somewhat still relevant but I love the whole "Pure Boxing will never work in MMA" argument from MMA fanboys. While it maybe true, you can essentially argue the same for for any style/background/base in MMA. Nowadays, no fighter can go into MMA as a pure boxer/kickboxer/MT Fighter/BJJ player/Wrestler/BJJ because each and every single style has it's limitations and as well as it's well-advantages and you have to cross-train to adapt.

To say that a boxer cannot train and adapt to MMA is as silly as telling an ADCC grappling champ that BJJ could never work because in a pure BJJ match, you wear Gi's and you're not allowed to strike. That right there eliminates all forms of gi chokes, spider-guard, x-guard, etc. Are you gonna tell Demian Maia or Roger Gracie that they wouldn't be able to adapt their BJJ to MMA?

If not then why would you think elite level boxers like Pacquiao, Mayweather, Klitschko, Povetkin, Adamek, Paul Williams, Andre Ward that they couldn't adapt their boxing to fit MMA? Are crisp solid technical punches somehow less effective than wild, loopy, chicken-winged, bar room brawling style punches that 90% of a MMA fighters use? What about the pisspoor near non-existent footwork and the complete lack of head movement? And please don't give me this crap about how kicks prevent that from happening. Go watch a K1 fight involving Aerts, LeBanner or Bonjasky and tell me they don't use footwork/head movement in their fights. Tell Anderson Silva that when he played the Matrix against Franklin and Forrest.

Of course pure boxing doesn't work in MMA, neither does pure BJJ, wrestling, Muay Thai, Judo or Karate but successful players of all those backgrounds have been able to adapt to the sport by taking the skills that are applicable and utilized them successfully, not sure why anyone would think a boxer couldn't do the same.

^^^^^^great post^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by TheRainSong
Kinda off-topic but somewhat still relevant but I love the whole "Pure Boxing will never work in MMA" argument from MMA fanboys. While it maybe true, you can essentially argue the same for for any style/background/base in MMA. Nowadays, no fighter can go into MMA as a pure boxer/kickboxer/MT Fighter/BJJ player/Wrestler/BJJ because each and every single style has it's limitations and as well as it's well-advantages and you have to cross-train to adapt.

To say that a boxer cannot train and adapt to MMA is as silly as telling an ADCC grappling champ that BJJ could never work because in a pure BJJ match, you wear Gi's and you're not allowed to strike. That right there eliminates all forms of gi chokes, spider-guard, x-guard, etc. Are you gonna tell Demian Maia or Roger Gracie that they wouldn't be able to adapt their BJJ to MMA?

If not then why would you think elite level boxers like Pacquiao, Mayweather, Klitschko, Povetkin, Adamek, Paul Williams, Andre Ward that they couldn't adapt their boxing to fit MMA? Are crisp solid technical punches somehow less effective than wild, loopy, chicken-winged, bar room brawling style punches that 90% of a MMA fighters use? What about the pisspoor near non-existent footwork and the complete lack of head movement? And please don't give me this crap about how kicks prevent that from happening. Go watch a K1 fight involving Aerts, LeBanner or Bonjasky and tell me they don't use footwork/head movement in their fights. Tell Anderson Silva that when he played the Matrix against Franklin and Forrest.

Of course pure boxing doesn't work in MMA, neither does pure BJJ, wrestling, Muay Thai, Judo or Karate but successful players of all those backgrounds have been able to adapt to the sport by taking the skills that are applicable and utilized them successfully, not sure why anyone would think a boxer couldn't do the same.

Great post...it's refreshing to see intelligent posts here once in a while at Sherdog...

Originally Posted by TheRainSong
Very well said. Game, set, and match. It's useless arguing with these MMA/WWE crossovers. Somehow, the concept of MMA being a totally different sport from boxing escapes the minds of these idiots.

Great post, but I doubt the OP has the attention span to read it.

EDIT: OP, in those fights you said they looked sloppy, but they didn't really fight standing up, so how can you judge their boxing abilities?

This is somewhat relevant Martial Art Vs Martial Art. Also foot work, head movement seem to work here.

Hmm, it looks like a lot of those karate guys are white belts. Literally - they have white belts on. Either that or karate sucks. They didn't exactly look like they knew how to do anything... poor kicks, no idea how to actually punch someone in the face.

Let's not fall into the gutter with our arguments. I don't like this argument in the first place, but you should really do your homework before speaking.

Yes, Noons transitioned well, because he was also a kickboxer, as was his father. He had many amuature fights, and worked his way up. He didn't just jump into Strikeforce.

Diaz was a martial artist first who tried out boxing. Don't forget that. He started Ju jitsu in the 9th grade, and became a pro MMA fighter in 2001. He didn't start boxing untill 2005. Diaz is a SJJ blackbelt. He made the transition and won his first fight. So make sure you tell the whole story before you just start yappin out the gums.

This coming from the guy that thinks that King fu is a better transition art to mma then boxing. Lots of guys racing out to learn boxing, to add to their mma skill sets. Practically zero people cross training kung fu. Why do you think that is?

Noons isn't even a good boxer but has manged to win a belt in MMA and his boxing is ok. His counter and body shots are pretty smooth.

Nick Diaz is consider one of the top guys in MMa and has a 1-0 in boxing and still owns people in MMa with his weak boxing, but trains hard at it and very often.

what kind of answer are you looking for.

never really liked the noons/diaz argument for boxing vs mma related threads

never really liked the noons/diaz argument for boxing vs mma related threads

I am not trying to use it as a Boxing vs Mma argument. I am just saying that there is some level of boxers in MMA. I know Noons has a kickboxing background but he does box pro too. So why is he not looked at as a boxer in Mma.

I also try to stay away from most boxing vs mma thread, cause I like both but have started to get board with MMA, although last night dream was pretty fun.

Back