Why do BJJ guys say...

guardpasser said:
adcc over shadowed by other events???? it has to be considered the best no gi tournament eva
the best by far...what can beat it? NAGA?

Bmonk said:
I would have loved to see that.

The fightfinder has a clip of the finish of the fight. Shamrock's leg lock transitions are awesome. Funaki helped him a lot from all appearances.

Superbeast said:
The fightfinder has a clip of the finish of the fight. Shamrock's leg lock transitions are awesome. Funaki helped him a lot from all appearances.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Superbeast said:

I couldn't find it. It wasn't an MMA fight so it's not listed.

Bjj is the most complete grappling art. Bjj brings together all the other grappling arts short commings.
Judo - no cross face, no leg locks
Wrestling - no submissions
Sambo - no chokes

Now wrestling and judo def have their strong points... but bjj is a blend of it all. Comming up to be the most complete grappling system you can study.

Judo focuses more on the initiation and take down... As does wrestling working to controll the opponent to their back from standing.

Sambo has a semi blended form but still lacking the chokes bjj offers.

If you want to get into making fun of training in a gi... When is the last time you got into a street fight with a naked dude?

You normaly do have shirts or a jacket to grab on. A gi is used so it doesnt tear or rip every practice. If you dont give a shit i could easily choke you out with your shirt, or if your hair is long enough so be it.

Oh yeah and adcc is the end all end of Grappling competitions. Its not geared toward BJJ.. Its geared towards anything that can finish a fight clean! without strikes. It just so happens bjj does that best.

Gsoares i disagree.... BJJ is nto a complete grappling art, it has poor ground control, poor escapes from the bottom and poor takedowns.....

I don;t know where you get the idea its so complete.

I have trained with an ADCC veteran and brazilian jiu jitsu world champion and i took him down easily with no wrestlign experience.

johil d'o said:
The original post sets up a classic "straw man" argument. In other words, he creates a bogus claim that few people would actually support and then he pokes holes in this fictitious and weak point of view with his superior logic. Way to go! You've managed to beat up a straw man!!

You would have beaten him more soundly if you'd used BJJ, however.

I wish I could have said this.

Cannibal said:
Gsoares i disagree.... BJJ is nto a complete grappling art, it has poor ground control, poor escapes from the bottom and poor takedowns.....

I have no idea why you would think BJJ has poor ground control and poor escapes from the bottom. Are you basing your opinion on your limited experience with one or 2 BJJ guys? We spend most of our time focused upon controlling our opponent on the ground and escaping bad positions. If you're looking to MMA for examples, most of the BJJ guys have been able to successfully control their opponent on the ground and to escape from bad positions. I believe this statement is a reflection of ignorance.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
I have no idea why you would think BJJ has poor ground control and poor escapes from the bottom. Are you basing your opinion on your limited experience with one or 2 BJJ guys? We spend most of our time focused upon controlling our opponent on the ground and escaping bad positions. If you're looking to MMA for examples, most of the BJJ guys have been able to successfully control their opponent on the ground and to escape from bad positions. I believe this statement is a reflection of ignorance.

No, he's apparently good enough that he can take an ADCC veteran to school.

FiveByFive said:
No, he's apparently good enough that he can take an ADCC veteran to school.

I don't know why he doesn't just go win ADCC himself, since they lack ground control so much. Surely he should just seize position, pin them down, and win on points.

You know I have never heard anyone say that.

Cannibal said:

I don;t know where you get the idea its so complete.

I have trained with an ADCC veteran and brazilian jiu jitsu world champion and i took him down easily with no wrestlign experience.

now you're just showing that youre an idiot.

and tell us what happened after you "took him down" - he probably made you tap out til your fucking hands were sore. and im sure he was fiercely resisting the takedown.

did a bjj guy embarrass you in front of your girlfriend or something? what do you have against it? because your bias is obvious and your statements are ignorant.

this whole thread is a crock of shit. no one in the grappling forum goes out of their way to bash any other grappling arts. people may point out some general weaknesses - judo having mediocre ground game, wrestling not having submissions, bjj having shitty takedowns - but there is generally a huge amount of respect. you mainly created this shit in your head. get the fuck out of here, youre annoying as fuck.

now go out and win adcc dipshit. ill sponsor you out of my pocket if you qualify. you apparently have great takedowns despite never training them, so just take down those shitty bjj players, take your 2 points, then stand up and do it again. easy right?

Yeah... what colinm said. I just want to add the following. Every single BJJ player I've ever met has had respect for aspects of other grappling arts. We respect the wrestler for his takedowns, physical conditioning, and base. We respect the judoka for his superior throws and balance. We respect the sambo player for his superior leg locks and unique submission setups. Many of us even respect some of the unorthodox submissions that catch wrestlers have.

The utter ignorance of your posts is astounding. BJJ is a dynamic art. It's changing every single day as people modify and tweak the moves. BJJ, on a whole, is not so arrogant as to claim that it has nothing to gain from other arts. The widespread introduction of wrestling to Brazil led to BJJ significantly changing its takedown techniques and takedown defenses. The introduction of sambo leg locks led to its incorporation into BJJ. BJJ has always had judo throws and moves in its curriculum. BJJ players are definitely proud of their art. Nonetheless, BJJ has exhibited nothing but respect for other grappling forms as it has continually evolved and adapted by incorporating elements of other arts.

Cannibal, name the ADCC vet. If he was a jiujitsu practitioner, he probably wanted you to take him to the floor. I have taken down world champions too but then they've made me tap like Fred Astaire shortly afterwards. You don't see me acting like Cael Sanderson for doing so.

FivebyFive and BMonk, I will post a link to my clip of the finish in a little while. I was sure I got it off the fight finder, guess not. No matter. Here ya go.

http://s60.yousendit.com/d.php?id=2BQKJBPQ7ZK041JIPDESQLX0KW

I think the whole thread can be summarized by realizing the original poster got tapped out by a BJJ whitebelt and is very, very angry.

Back