Why do BJJ guys say...

C

Cannibal

Why do BJJ guys say.....

If (insert a form of grappling other than BJJ) was so great why do we not see (insert name of aforementioned grappling style) winning ADCC?

Its probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard, and makes me take the BJJ guys who say it not very seriously.

ADCC is catered to a brazilian jiu jitsu style of grappling, its rules are basically no gi BJJ.

To all the BJJ guys who say that... i have only one thing to say... why don;t BJJ guys win the olympic gold medal in wrestling, judo, or world championships in them, or why don;t they dominate sambo world championships, or combat sambo championships or any other style of grappling.....

Also it annoys me when BJJ guys act like MMA and BJJ go hand in hand are exactly the same thing.

It just so happens BJJ was there in the beggining but it is dying out now in MMA, BJJ style of grappling is not that great for MMA.

Sitting on your back is not a good idea in MMA and shrimping from sidemount to half guard to fullguard, is just gonna get you pounded on a lot and put you in for a long night.

I respect many BJJ guys but, ADCC is not the be all end all of grappling competition and infact is shadowed by many other grappling competitions..... also BJJ is not MMA, this is just history of MMA.

You're right. It is silly for BJJ guys to say that.

All of the BJJ guys I know though don't think that way, so maybe the BJJ guys you know are retards? I just don't hear that said very much. It's also not said very much on this forum.

I agree with you, but I'm not sure many BJJ guys say that in the first place.

I can;t count the amount of times i have heard.....

It said about catch wrestlers.

bjj is the best get over it

if other grapplings forms are so good then why did bjj revolutionise ufc/mma

another typical comment

wrestlers have done well in abu dhabi.. melchor manibusan (Purebred Guam), and MArk Kerr come to mind...

bjj is very good for mma from the grappling aspect but so is wrestling and sambo along with others so i'm in no way saying that bjj is ufc or mma but the comment you made about it not being effective in mma is dumb its as good for ground fighting as any other grappling form ... is it the best? well it is for some people its not for others as some people pick up some forms of grappling better then others and i will admit that bjj alone is not enough for mma you do need some wrestling and striking to go along with it just like boxing alone isn't enough but i will stick to my original statement that as far as mma/street fight grappling goes its as good as anything

hah. adcc is a full submission wrestling competition and the rules are far more free than any of the other competitions you've listed. there is no gi and it is hardly sport jiujitsu. you can go do just about any form of grappling you'd like. just so you know, wrestlers can score heavily by performing clean takedowns, top control, and guard passing.

in general bjj/wrestling guys have done the best. hence, in essentially a free-rules grappling event, one could say that bjj/wrestling is dominant because no other forms of grappling have in general come to play a prominent role. if anything else was as good for such a free set of rules then it'd have materialized already.

i don't even distinguish between styles of grappling anymore. when somebody asks what i do i say 'adcc rules submission' beause i don't train with a gi and i'll use any technique that works under such rules. essentially all have come from bjj/wrestling though, if you really want to dissect it.

Cannibal said:
ADCC is not the be all end all of grappling competition and infact is shadowed by many other grappling competitions.....

TEH LIES! i respect sport wrestling, sambo, and judo competition as much as anyone else but adcc is the true testing ground of any complete grappler, imo.

The original post sets up a classic "straw man" argument. In other words, he creates a bogus claim that few people would actually support and then he pokes holes in this fictitious and weak point of view with his superior logic. Way to go! You've managed to beat up a straw man!!

You would have beaten him more soundly if you'd used BJJ, however.

Anybody remember "The Contenders" event on PPV about 10 years ago? It matched wrestlers against martial arts grapplers (mostly BJJ). No strikes. IIRC - Frank Shamrock tapped out Dan Henderson really quick.

I hoped that it took off and they had more events, but it only aired once. Low ratings, I guess.

MMA and BJJ do somewhat go in hand, but there are too many guys that probably think that only grappling will get you far in a street fight. That's BS. If you can't strike you're a fish out of water when you're on the feet, and anyone who is extremely aggressive and can throw HARD shots or haymakers will KO you before you can take them to the ground.

so, I do agree with the first poster of this thread.

possenti said:
Anybody remember "The Contenders" event on PPV about 10 years ago? It matched wrestlers against martial arts grapplers (mostly BJJ). No strikes. IIRC - Frank Shamrock tapped out Dan Henderson really quick.

I hoped that it took off and they had more events, but it only aired once. Low ratings, I guess.

I would have loved to see that.

Cannibal said:
Sitting on your back is not a good idea in MMA and shrimping from sidemount to half guard to fullguard, is just gonna get you pounded on a lot and put you in for a long night.

Shrimping from sidemount to half guard to full guard?

flyingknee16 said:
MMA and BJJ do somewhat go in hand, but there are too many guys that probably think that only grappling will get you far in a street fight. That's BS. If you can't strike you're a fish out of water when you're on the feet, and anyone who is extremely aggressive and can throw HARD shots or haymakers will KO you before you can take them to the ground.

or u could get shot or stabbed and then neither helped.

flyingknee16 said:

You agree with him because he mentioned the word "street fight"? I don't see it.

In a street fight anything can happen.

adcc over shadowed by other events???? it has to be considered the best no gi tournament eva

BJJ/Wrestling rules. Period. As for "sitting on your back" a lot of fights end up there so you'd better have a tight guard and be able to escape. You know the typical statements I hate? Here's some of them:

BJJ is bullshit. Who's going to pull guard on the street? (I don't think anyone in their right mind would pull guard in the street but shit happens so you'd better know how to fight from your guard)

I would just slam someone on their head if they caught me in a triangle... (which could happen but unlikely if the triangle is sunk in)

If their friends jump in you're fucked... (which is probably true but is the same for any "style" you were attempting to use)

Back