Why didn't Herb Dean pause the fight?

fanboy2009

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I think that flying knee was a total cheap shot, which sucks because I was rooting for Silva.

I really blame it equally on Herb Dean and Anderson. Dean had already picked up the mouthpiece, and Bisping knew that Dean had it. There was easily time for Dean to pause the action.

I can totally see why Bisping was protesting, because nothing significant was happening and it was the ref's job to pause it and replace the mouthpiece.

Anderson was pretty cheap to capitalize on it, imho.

There was seconds left in the round why would Herb stop the fight? He was just waiting for the round to end. Herb Dean told Bisping during the staredown protect yourself at all times and he took his eyes off Anderson for one split second and got KO'd

Silva was attacking Bisping, would have been an unfair break.

because there was no break in the action, which is when you stop a fight to give a guy back his mouthpiece. Bisping tried to call his own timeout when the ref is the first and last authority in stopping time, and he got kneed for it. When time is in, protect yourself at all times, don't try to stop the clock to get your mouthpiece back in.

Herb even responded to Bisping and told him to keep fighting. That was a Paul Harris level lapse in focus that nearly cost Bisping the match.

i don't think it was a lapse in focus, i think Bisping was feeling the pressure from Anderson and tried to break the action to kill Anderson's momentum. Anderson was getting increasingly aggressive.

Herb even responded to Bisping and told him to keep fighting. That was a Paul Harris level lapse in focus that nearly cost Bisping the match.

The other thing I don't understand is how do you give that fight to Bisping? It was clearly 3,4,5 Silva.

I know you judge round by round, but come on, who won that fight? Silva destroyed him. I just hate to see a weird situation like that turn the fight.

Anderson did nothing wrong. It's 100% Bispings fault for crying about his mouthpiece when he should have been fighting.

#1 Rule = protect yourself at all times. It's said before every fight and boxing match.

#2 You don't stop a fight when action is going on. Anderson is chasing Bisping while Bisping is pointing at his mouth piece. You can only stop when both fighters are neutral.

Again, 100% Bispings fault.

OK Anderson did nothing wrong or cheap, much less illegal.

And since we all agree it wasn't illegal, there's no such thing as a ref calling a time out to let a fighter recover from a legal strike

the first time i watched it i thought i heard herb dean yell "stop" right before silva started going in for that knee. did anyone else see that or was i tripping?

the first time i watched it i thought i heard herb dean yell "stop" right before silva started going in for that knee. did anyone else see that or was i tripping?
I think he says 'keep fighting' to bisping

i don't think it was a lapse in focus, i think Bisping was feeling the pressure from Anderson and tried to break the action to kill Anderson's momentum. Anderson was getting increasingly aggressive.
Yep he tried that same shit against Rockhold. Drops his hands and just assumes the ref would stop the action.

ok so I rewatched it 10 times in slow motion and all I can guess is Herb Dean didn't see a lapse in action.

So maybe it was Bisping's fault for trying to call time when he should have been defending.

It is in the rules that you defend yourself until the ref steps in -- and this isn't sparring, it's a fight.

Anyway, insane knee and Silva won. I'd love to see a rematch.

As already said, no break in the action.
If the referee had to immediately stop the fight everytime a fighter drops his mouthpiece, some would take advantage of that rule and start spitting out their mouthpiece when under pressure.

Back