Why did Tyson hit so small heavy bags?

i've seen that a million times, i don't know what to make of it, you can see from other footage that he was way more skilled than what we see here, and to be honest, anyone is critical of any man doing something on a bag. thank god for corona, now i have a private gym where dumbasses who've never thrown a punch in their lives can't come up to correct me, i've been rude in those situations and I don't like being that way. Or basically challenging people on the spot.

We have to understand it in context. Bruce Lee was a very proud asian man being demeaned by westerners and he would not let go of his original system of punching no matter what. Anybody who claimed that he did have to explain that bag work video.. Because that's pretty much how a Wing Chun dude with punch a heavy bag

That is one of Klitschko’s helium bags.

I see you're an insider. Most people outside his inner circle don't know, but Klitschko did all of his training after 2012 suspended upside down with magnetic shoes. He gave everyone else that came into the gym a pair, too, because he needed all photography to be upside down as well to complete the ruse.

And that was just fine with me; I charge a pretty penny for magnetic shoes of that calibre.

We have to understand it in context. Bruce Lee was a very proud asian man being demeaned by westerners and he would not let go of his original system of punching no matter what. Anybody who claimed that he did have to explain that bag work video.. Because that's pretty much how a Wing Chun dude with punch a heavy bag
yes, i know, i've trained with his senior student for years, I see why people say it looked weird, but i've seen and heard enough about bruce to be a disciple. Of course that debate will go on forever. I was just pointing out how he was forward thinking, most martial artists didn't use bags at all in those days, let alone all the gadgets he tried. that 300 pound bag was apparently something he could kick hard enough to swing it and he could stop it with a side kick. I think someone also said he could kick it hard enough to hit the ceiling. so many bruce lee stories out there, i can't keep them straight.

yes, i know, i've trained with his senior student for years, I see why people say it looked weird, but i've seen and heard enough about bruce to be a disciple. Of course that debate will go on forever. I was just pointing out how he was forward thinking, most martial artists didn't use bags at all in those days, let alone all the gadgets he tried. that 300 pound bag was apparently something he could kick hard enough to swing it and he could stop it with a side kick. I think someone also said he could kick it hard enough to hit the ceiling. so many bruce lee stories out there, i can't keep them straight.

Who was that Boxer Gary Elms he beat in a boxing match? Just a club boxer who decided to take a fight against Bruce? Never heard about him outside of their match, so I would assume he was just a hobbyist..

Years ago I had a cheap price heavy bag hanging outside on a sturdy swing set frame. Over time it got heavier and harder. So it was obvious rain had been slowly seeping in.

I removed the contents of the bag to dry it out and it was just a collection of used clothing.

Who was that Boxer Gary Elms he beat in a boxing match? Just a club boxer who decided to take a fight against Bruce? Never heard about him outside of their match, so I would assume he was just a hobbyist..
He was a high school champion I believe

I have a 200lb Ringside soft-fill/sand bag. That fucker moves. I let @MC Paul Barman jab it once; it swung all the way to Alabama.

Interesting story: I was debating at work with this fat guy (who I call 'Mother's Milk' because he has big boobs) that some men can lactate (we were out of cream at work and I wanted to give one of his tits a good ol fashion 'milk honkin'' to see if I might be able to supplement for the cream).
That was 2 weeks ago.... jump forward to this past Monday night and we're back at our reopened gym with some guys from work just shooting around. He was in the process of taking his shirt off... and I had a clear thoroughfare for my jab to his belly. I launched the little critter to make a landing on his stomach. And BAM! Sure enough.... immediately upon letting the piston hit his stomach both of his tits squirted out alittle milk.

Bruce Lee was very talented but this is how a noob hits a bag, technically speaking. I know because that's pretty much spot-on how I hit a bag first time...

He's hitting the bag like you'd expect a JKD practitioner to hit it. He was using straight blasts (a form of chain punching but technically different than Wing Chun's) and not pure Western boxing techniques as you'd expect to see from a boxer. He did study boxing and trained in it but only to incorporate some of its techniques into his own system, techniques he was able to adapt to JKD. His base was in Wing Chun but that punching on the bag is textbook JKD form.

His base was in Wing Chun but that punching on the bag is textbook JKD form.

And why anybody would prefer that is beyond me.

If you want to blitz kreig someone you feint, switch levels, and then throw combinations, from position where your entire body is engaged, rather than disengaged.

And why anybody would prefer that is beyond me.

If you want to blitz kreig someone you feint, switch levels, and then throw combinations, from position where your entire body is engaged, rather than disengaged.
jack dempsey had some fascinating theories about vertical/horizontal punches, bruce was a fan of his. Personally, the biggest issue i had with those vertical fists punches is that they pull you off center because that's just the way the human body moves, which is to be expected for hooks but you don't want that from your straight punches, but, they do have good wollop to them, different than textbook punches but you can really move an opponent with them, believe me. As far as Bruce's one inch punch, i'm sure he knew it was just a parlor trick but did it anyway, same as when he broke boards, he spoke against using those kinds of stunts but he sure as hell did them alot.

It's him lol

I'm skeptical. There was a guy in the stand-up forum years ago named KylePully. He would post these videos of "himself" hitting the bag or doing some other exercise, big clumsy fat guy practically falling over himself. He wouldn't take any advice, argued endlessly and would swear up and down he'd whip Manny because he weighed 260lbs.

I've always kind of thought it was just someone who found those videos on YouTube who wanted to troll us and make fun of that guy at the same time. Some personalities are just a bit too crazy for me to believe. Or maybe I just don't want to.

Back