Why did Tyson hit so small heavy bags?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The bags in all the gyms I've seen were way bigger and heaveir... Was it an intentional effort to keep the muscle memory of his speed intact? Or maybe some D'Amato philosophy

Last edited:
Looks like a water bag. It's pretty wide, too. They weigh more than soft-fill bags.

Tyson had custom made bags at times , a small bag would actually be the famous Foreman video where he repeadily hits it in the same spot while being held by his trainer which is far easier to look impressive.

Tysons current set up has a bag chained to a beam or wall which forces a punch to be harder due to no retraction,it’s just dead solid shot where the bag won’t sway ,which means he’s coming hard with them to whoever steps in there .

For comparison, the largest bag here in 150 lbs. It’s considerably smaller than Mike’s bag in the OP.

edit: no idea why the Amazon link doesn't work on desktop. Just search for 153lb water bag on Amazon.

Last edited:
1 cubic foot of water weighs over 60lbs. 1 cubic foot of soft fill probably weighs around 10 or less when it’s packed. Which is why you have to add sandbags to the center of soft fills to get the weight up.

Looks like a water bag. It's pretty wide, too. They weigh more than soft-fill bags.

Looking at it I doubt very much it is a water bag. Not even sure they were around in those days.

We have a bag in our gym that is almost identical in size to that bag (only it's blue) and as @Hotdog666 said above it moves around more than a conventional sized bag.

A smaller bag that moves around easier is more comparable to having an opponent in front of you that moved around. Then again, Tyson could probably move a 500 Lb bag around lol

Looking at it I doubt very much it is a water bag. Not even sure they were around in those days.

We have a bag in our gym that is almost identical in size to that bag (only it's blue) and as @Hotdog666 said above it moves around more than a conventional sized bag.

Check out the logo, it's a Powair bag. They came out in the early 80's. Title still makes them; they're water bags.

Check out the logo, it's a Powair bag. They came out in the early 80's. Title still makes them; they're water bags.

I must admit I was guilty of only looking at the still photo of the clip. Just watched the clip and that bag is behaving like a water bag. A normal bag that size being hit like Tyson is hitting it would have behaved quite differently.

Personally, I hate water bags. They have one at my gym and I only use it if it is the only free bag in the house. Otherwise, no thanks!

I must admit I was guilty of only looking at the still photo of the clip. Just watched the clip and that bag is behaving like a water bag. A normal bag that size being hit like Fury is hitting it would have behaved quite differently.

Personally, I hate water bags. They have one at my gym and I only use it if it is the only free bag in the house. Otherwise, no thanks!

I find them less satisfying to hit. Of course that satisfaction comes at the expense of my joints which are starting to feel the effects of age. Not much, but a bit.

I find them less satisfying to hit. Of course that satisfaction comes at the expense of my joints which are starting to feel the effects of age. Not much, but a bit.

My hands throb at the thought of hitting a water bag. I don't understand why anyone would want one.

And we can see how easily it spins around and Mike isn't going anywhere near 100%.. A real heavy bag is not easy to move like that

Here's a question for you, now that I've answered yours several times: any reason why he shouldn't be using that bag? Something about this bag has you miffed, what is it? Seems like a perfectly fine, and heavy, bag to me.

Here's a question for you, now that I've answered yours several times: why shouldn't he be using that bag? Something about this bag has you miffed, what is it?

I'm asking why he's punching something that doesn't really offer much resistance? Does he really improve anything? If he did that to a normal sized sand bag it wouldn't move one inch.

I have seen Tyson hit all sorts of different shape and size bags. You get something different out of each variation. That's why every bag in a good gym isn't the same.

I have seen Tyson hit all sorts of different shape and size bags. You get something different out of each variation. That's why every bag in a good gym isn't the same.

Ok, All I see are these small ones.

Back