Why did Tyson hit so small heavy bags?

I find them less satisfying to hit. Of course that satisfaction comes at the expense of my joints which are starting to feel the effects of age. Not much, but a bit.

You think that first purple one is a meaningful thing to punch? It moves just by looking at it. Bag work is supposed to be conditioning.. o well.

You think that first purple one is a meaningful thing to punch? It moves just by looking at it. Bag work is supposed to be conditioning.. o well.

I'd respond, but considering you have dubs it would feel like entrapment.

ya, that's a water bag, i've hit them but I've always thought they were just kind of gimmicy, you know, "the human body is 99 percent agua" I have one but never used it, it's in it's box. I have a 150 pound bag I use, it's common for bags to be 70-100-150 punds and made out of either canvas, vinyl or leather. Leather is the best and reacts the best to your punches and give you a good snap. Bruce lee used to have all kinds of bags, some filled with, i think, corn or beans or something really hard, he even had a huge bag that weighed like 300 pounds or more. Bags are indespensable but I've often found myself wondering about a new way for punching, some of the latest stuff looks fairly good, the fixed mitt machines. One major problem with bags is that you can't use them everywhere, if you travel, you can't set it up in your hotel room, if you live in an apt, you can't set it up there either.

Last edited:
I'd respond, but considering you have dubs it would feel like entrapment.

I'll just state the obvious then and we'll call it quits. That manlet bag is easier to move than a HW boxer. The fact that it's purple triggers me even more.

Everyone here has seen this guys standup threads, right? They're gold.

I'll just state the obvious then and we'll call it quits. That manlet bag is easier to move than a HW boxer. The fact that it's purple triggers me even more.

Gold.

Two yellows makes gold, right?

I'm asking why he's punching something that doesn't really offer much resistance? Does he really improve anything? If he did that to a normal sized sand bag it wouldn't move one inch.
that's the only time i've seen him work with a water bag, he usually used normal heavybags. I find that the muay thai bags feel very different too, they seem to usually be more narrow in design and move even more. There was one that I used that was huge and I really toughened my shins up with it because they could be really hard at the bottom. It does make a difference, there have been times when i've been sore just from working out on different bags, Every little variation changes something, same with music, you change one note in a scale and it'll throw you for a while.

that's the only time i've seen him work with a water bag, he usually used normal heavybags. I find that the muay thai bags feel very different too, they seem to usually be more narrow in design and move even more. There was one that I used that was huge and I really toughened my shins up with it because they could be really hard at the bottom. It does make a difference, there have been times when i've been sore just from working out on different bags, Every little variation changes something, same with music, you change one note in a scale and it'll throw you for a while.

A place I used to train at mostly had those MT bags. They put small tires around the base to help keep them from moving; worked pretty well. I remember liking those bags.

Everyone here has seen this guys standup threads, right? They're gold.
hell no, i'm afraid to venture into the dark sherdog woods surrounding the boxing forum.

A place I used to train at mostly had those MT bags. They put small tires around the base to help keep them from moving; worked pretty well. I remember liking those bags.
ya, i do to, right now, all i have is a boxing bag, i have a muay thai in storage but it's a cheapie. Regular boxing bags will suffice but you really can't practice thigh kicks at the proper level. Better than nothing though.

hell no, i'm afraid to venture into the dark sherdog woods surrounding the boxing forum.

There's some okay stuff out there, but it's like sifting through a bucket of crap looking for a cracker. The cracker probably isn't worth it.

ya, that's a water bag, i've hit them but I've always thought they were just kind of gimmicy, you know, "the human body is 99 percent agua" I have one but never used it, it's in it's box. I have a 150 pound bag I use, it's common for bags to be 70-100-150 punds and made out of either canvas, vinyl or leather. Leather is the best and reacts the best to your punches and give you a good snap. Bruce lee used to have all kinds of bags, some filled with, i think, corn or beans or something really hard, he even had a huge bag that weighed like 300 pounds or more. Bags are indespensable but I've often found myself wondering about a new way for punching, some of the latest stuff looks fairly good, the fixed mitt machines. One major problem with bags is that you can't use them everywhere, if you travel, you can't set it up in your hotel room, if you live in an apt, you can't set it up there either.

Bruce Lee was very talented but this is how a noob hits a bag, technically speaking. I know because that's pretty much spot-on how I hit a bag first time...

There's some okay stuff out there, but it's like sifting through a bucket of crap looking for a cracker. The cracker probably isn't worth it.
i'm sure there is, i rarely go to other spots here, mainly because I don't really like mma or martial arts all that much even though I've spent most of my years on them, I just never did like the people, fans, fighters, wannabees, business men, they all make my skin craw, well, most of them anyway.

Bruce Lee was very talented but this is how a noob hits a bag, technically speaking. I know because that's pretty much spot-on how I hit a bag first time...

i've seen that a million times, i don't know what to make of it, you can see from other footage that he was way more skilled than what we see here, and to be honest, anyone is critical of any man doing something on a bag. thank god for corona, now i have a private gym where dumbasses who've never thrown a punch in their lives can't come up to correct me, i've been rude in those situations and I don't like being that way. Or basically challenging people on the spot.

Back