• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why couldn't Severn dominate the wrestling against Shamrock?

Usernamehere

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shamrock is not a wrestler. He dabbled in regional wrestling in school. Severn was a World Cup winner.

What's even more illogical is that Shamrock had no chance against Tito, who is a far worse wrestler than Severn.

Last edited:
Age and injuries for both men. Dan was already mid to late 30s when he faced off with Ken. Ken was not 30 yet. Ken was close to 40 when he fought Tito?

Shouldn't most 40 year old World Cup winners wrestle fuck guys who are roided shoot fighters?

Shamrock was pretty friggin jacked for their first fight and caught Danny in a guillotine. Second fight was the weird rules fight where they were limited on what they could do.

Tito may not have been a better amature wrestler than Dan but he was a much better MMA wrestler than Dan if that makes any sense. Tito was an animal and should be regarded as one of the goats despite his strange antics.

You can't compensate a lifetime of elite wrestling with roids.

Was Shamrock a very talented wrestler?
I would say he was a very talented shoot fighter and a good mma wrestler during the early ufc days. He defended Dans takedowns and was able to use subs. Dan didn't like getting clocked and Shammy tagged him good in the first fight right on the chin, changed Dans mindset and got Shammy the W.

I would say he was a very talented shoot fighter and a good mma wrestler during the early ufc days. He defended Dans takedowns and was able to use subs. Dan didn't like getting clocked and Shammy tagged him good in the first fight right on the chin, changed Dans mindset and got Shammy the W.

I'm curious about his pure wrestling

Maybe Shammy was very strong that time

Shamrock wasn't really a wrestler, but he was an accomplished submission artist by that time, and Severn already tasted what it's like to dominate wrestling to just end up casually subbed by someone who knows what they're doing on the ground. Then it happened to him standing, so he was reduced to dancing around in Detroit.

Ken was equally stronger and had a more developed MMA game but those times standards, he also was more athletic, Dan was almost just a wrestler in MMA through most of his career, in 1st fight Dan dived into the guillotine twice as he attempted double leg tkd, first time Ken wasnt that fast to sink it mostly he looked surprised at the gifted position, second time he wasted no time
also consider maybe Ken was taking some "supplements"

I'm curious about his pure wrestling
If Dan and Ken wrestled I'm sure Dan would win. Obviously in mma they're are variables beyond wrestling and it's also well known that a world class wrestler who doesn't like getting punched in the face is no longer world class after being punched in the face.

Because Ken was a jacked catch wrestler, who mastered chokes that a pure wrestler as Dan wasnt familiar with.

It doesn't work that way in MMA. The skill mix is more complicated than that.

Dan would smash Tito if they were the same age.

Because Ken was a jacked catch wrestler, who mastered chokes that a pure wrestler as Dan wasnt familiar with.

Guillitones are part of amatuer wrestling as controlling moves. It"s nothing new to him. Severn should have taken him down Long before that

In actuality, they did.
They grappled in their second fight but it wasn't pure wrestling. In wrestling you can't choke nor strike. Ken was looking for subs and both men were striking. Also Dan was gassed during that exchange.

Back