Why can't Couture, Sonnen, or Stann fill in for Goldberg

Rogan and Sonnen, Sonnen could easily pull off the Goldberg schtick with more intelligence and better banter.

Did anyone hear Anik say Michael Johnson was Top 10 in the LW division. I get that Anik was thrown into the fire, but come on.

I guess I worded the original thread confusingly. My whole point was that I wasn't overly impressed with the Rogan/Anik combination. Anik is too robotic.

I think Rogan would do a much better job meshing with a guy like Randy, Chael, or Stann Anik. As for Randy, Chael, or Stann not being able to do what Anik or Goldberg does, I agree to some point, but as a fan I am ready to listen to something different than what I heard last PPV.

Those are all color guys. Two color commentators does not work you need a color guy and a play by play guy. That's the issue.
Everyone would rather hear any one of those guys then Goldberg but the overall commentary would not be as good., Plus Goldberg does a lot of things well that people ignore due to his less than stellar commentary. Play by play is not an easy job

Ryan Bennett was the best play by play commentator in MMA's history.

Because you can't have 2 colour commentators and no play by play guy...

theyre color commentators not play-by-play guys

It amazes me how few people understand this distinction. Couture, Sonnen, and Stann absolutely are not prepared to take over for Goldie.

Itd be awesome if they kept Goldie and had a retired fighter on the team as well, maybe a different one every PPV. I think bonnar does pretty well at analysis.

Rogan and Sonnen, Sonnen could easily pull off the Goldberg schtick with more intelligence and better banter.

The thing you're not getting here, is that play-by-play commentators have a lot more to their job than just talking about the fight. They are responsible for introductions, transitions, advertisements, always filling any dead air, asking questions from the layman's point of view, and setting up the color guys to offer their commentary. In a UFC event, they have got to be prepared to do this for 6 hours straight.

Play-by-play guys are experienced broadcasters who are professionally trained to do all the shitty menial parts of commentary that color guys just don't have to worry about. Color guys are the fun, exciting, interesting ones, with an insider understanding, but they have far less responsibility than the boring PBP guy.

Anik gets waaaaaaaaay too much shit. He's not bad at all, and certainly better than any of the three guys in the OP.

Goldie is on his way back anyways. My whole point of this thread was that I think the UFC needs to shake things up a bit.

Listening to Florian and Anik leaves something to be desired. The broadcast is too robotic, routine. Rogan and Goldie are good because they are at least enthusiastic in a genuine and somewhat uncontrolled way.

The UFC needs to throw someone dynamic in the booth with Anik and Florian, otherwise scrap the combination. Just my opinion though.

you got be kidding! Anik is the worst, he just feels out of place

Not true, you're just not used to him and too stubborn to keep an open mind about it. Anik is good. Miles better than Mauro. Well, I don't know if 'better' is the right word, but he's certainly far less annoying.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I actually like Anik more than Goldie. I've never been a fan of the Goldie Rogan combo.

The answer: Because they are all terrible.

honestly, anyone but jon anik.

the guy has no personality and makes the fights less exciting. i wouldn't have believed that a commentator could do that, but i'm a believer now, lol.

It amazes me how few people understand this distinction. Couture, Sonnen, and Stann absolutely are not prepared to take over for Goldie.

It is only sherdog since it is 90% 14 year old nerds. Most people know that you need a color guy and a broadcaster.

Back