Why can't Couture, Sonnen, or Stann fill in for Goldberg

Why cant Rampage Jackson fill in for Goldberg..

About as relevant.

Haha, Sonnen. He is awesome. People like Sonnen make life more interesting. Anyone who speaks without being politically correct is ok. As George Carlin said, "Americans get offended easily." I agree. I am sick to death of being overly sensitive. Way over the top.

The thing you're not getting here, is that play-by-play commentators have a lot more to their job than just talking about the fight. They are responsible for introductions, transitions, advertisements, always filling any dead air, asking questions from the layman's point of view, and setting up the color guys to offer their commentary. In a UFC event, they have got to be prepared to do this for 6 hours straight.

Play-by-play guys are experienced broadcasters who are professionally trained to do all the shitty menial parts of commentary that color guys just don't have to worry about. Color guys are the fun, exciting, interesting ones, with an insider understanding, but they have far less responsibility than the boring PBP guy.

Good post! I agree, I don't think people grasp how difficult it is to do that type of job. Anyone in that position would make occasional mistakes because of all of the transitions and space fillers, etc. I like Goldy, I think he brings excitement and can handle all of the little nuances required of a play-by-play guy. He also does a good job of transitioning to Rogan when the more detailed questions need answered.

I like Goldberg. Although he doesn't have the most informative opinions or analysis, he fills in the gaps of silences well and makes everything seem exciting.

The thing you're not getting here, is that play-by-play commentators have a lot more to their job than just talking about the fight. They are responsible for introductions, transitions, advertisements, always filling any dead air, asking questions from the layman's point of view, and setting up the color guys to offer their commentary. In a UFC event, they have got to be prepared to do this for 6 hours straight.

Play-by-play guys are experienced broadcasters who are professionally trained to do all the shitty menial parts of commentary that color guys just don't have to worry about. Color guys are the fun, exciting, interesting ones, with an insider understanding, but they have far less responsibility than the boring PBP guy.

I don't understand why so many people don't understand what your saying here. People love to hate on Goldberg but his job is extreamly difficult. Anyone filling in is going to have a hard time. No way anyone that isn

Just a reminder to everyone...this is what happens when Mike Goldberg isn't there to keep the TV flowing in a smooth and professional manner...

Just a reminder to everyone...this is what happens when Mike Goldberg isn't there to keep the TV flowing in a smooth and professional manner...

Best part of that whole thing is when they introduce the FOX sports guy and he's fiddling with the phone

I dig Mauro Ranallo a lot, the strikeforce commentator.

all three of them are color guys, none of them could handle the workload of being the play by play man. you really need a professional for that. goldie's job is harder than it looks, there's a lot of empty space to fill between joe's comments.

Back