Why can't Couture, Sonnen, or Stann fill in for Goldberg

RankingMMA

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I always thought Couture was spot on with his commentary duties. I'm not sure if Couture is too busy or his price tag it too high, but I wish the UFC would try to bring him in to fill in for Goldberg.

I also mentioned Brian Stann and Chael Sonnen because they do an excellent job with the post-fight stuff on FX/Fuel. Yeah, I know there's a lot of Sonnen haters on here, but I think he'd be much more entertaining to listen to than Anik.

What do you guys think? Should the UFC stop wasting their time with Anik and have one of the guys I mentioned fill in?

Lol I remember Sonnen on Fuel post fight show

"Struve has the reach of Jon Jones and twice the courage"

But some of his best stuff was on MMA live

Last edited:
They cannot take Goldbergs place, if you notice whenever they are on the fox or fx broadcasts, they are playing Rogans' role.

theyre color commentators not play-by-play guys

Rogan and Goldberg are a fun commentating duo. Goldberg gets way to much undeserved hate. Sometimes it just feels like it's for no reason, but just because it's Goldberg.

However a duo of Rogan and Sonnen would be a really good commentating duo for PPV and FOX and a Florian and Goldberg duo for FUEL TV and FX.

However a duo of Rogan and Sonnen would be a really good commentating duo for PPV and FOX and a Florian and Goldberg duo for FUEL TV and FX.

Rogan and Sonnen would be able sell PPVs with just their commentary.

All of those guys are color commentators, not play-by-play guys.

All of those guys are color commentators, not play-by-play guys.

This and only This. and I don't know why TS didnt know this. But I like the idea of Rogan and Sonnen Duo. Just make Chael the color commentator.

theyre color commentators not play-by-play guys
exactly. joe rogan is the analyst. imagine brian stann trying to,say "brought to you buy harly davidson" it doesnt work. anik is.nerd.

Anik is there to display his magnificently coiffed eyebrows :D

This and only This. and I don't know why TS didnt know this. But I like the idea of Rogan and Sonnen Duo. Just make Chael the color commentator.

But Rogan couldn't take over in play-by-play either. Watch his battle with the teleprompter in the FOX thing for an example lol.

Right now it looks like either Jon Anik or Mike Goldberg HAVE to be at at least every event. Maybe the UFC could hire "The Voice" for a show in case both are sick or something or for example Goldy is out like he was 155 and Anik couldn't do it because there's a close FX/FUEL show.

Either way I do think it would be great to match Rogan up with KenFlo or especially Chael for just one event whether there is a play-by-play guy or not.

That would never work because Rogan isn't meant to stick to a script. Im good with adding a 3rd person as long as that 3rd person is a former or active fighter. Anik has done a solid job filling in...I definitely can't think of anyone who would fill that role any better

Anybody but Goldberg is good. Well, except any of the current announcers that the UFC has.

But Rogan couldn't take over in play-by-play either. Watch his battle with the teleprompter in the FOX thing for an example lol.

Right now it looks like either Jon Anik or Mike Goldberg HAVE to be at at least every event. Maybe the UFC could hire "The Voice" for a show in case both are sick or something or for example Goldy is out like he was 155 and Anik couldn't do it because there's a close FX/FUEL show.

Either way I do think it would be great to match Rogan up with KenFlo or especially Chael for just one event whether there is a play-by-play guy or not.

Maybe it's just me, but Kenflo always seems really dull to me when he is commentating. Better than Frank Shamrock, but nowhere near as pumped as Goldberg. What makes Goldberg great isn't that he's spot on...or even right half the time. It's that he's really excited and committed to what he is saying, so even if it's rubbish, he's really into it and excited. Kenflo just doesn't seem to have that.

At least with Sonnen there are going to be sharp quips and some good lol's.

Thing is Rogan has often said he could never do Goldy's job. You literally have to keep talking all the time even if nothing is happening. The 2 roles are not "virtually identical". :D

I agree any of those guys would be great. They need to get an actual Fighter commentating in there imo or at least a striking expert ( i know Rogan is bb in tkd but still boxing/kickboxing expert).

They should not have Brandon Vera for recap, love his fighting but he was so vague and repetitive post fight comments for ufc on fox rory mc vs penn, gus vs shogun fights.

They should shitcan Goldberg permanently and bring in Quadros or Mauro.

I like Anik, I would much rather hear his commentary over any of the alternatives you suggested.

Contrary to many opinions, Goldy is a fucking legend and is irreplaceable.

Yes, he's one dimensional, corny and repetitive, but the nostalgia he brings is worth it!

It's just not the same without him.

THE VOICE? Dear god, NO.

I'd rather listen to my parents have sex.

Back