Why Canadians are so good in MMA and WMMA?

They're so good that they have no current champs.

HW: Cain Velasquez ('Murica)
LHW: Jon Jones ('Murica)
MW: Chris Weidman ('Murica)
WW: Johny Hendricks ('Murica)
LW: Anthony Pettis ('Murica)
FW: Jose Aldo (BR)
BW: Renan Barao (BR)
FlW: Demetrious Johnson ('Murica)
WBW: Ronda Rousey ('Murica)

Last edited:
1st world country with an underdog complex. It's why we kicked ass in the world wars too.

Its an easy transition from hockey, especially the kids who end up fighting on the ice more than playing lol.
They either get kicked out of the league, banned, etc..
Lots of guys I know played hockey and all of them were fighters or goons lol.
Once they quit hockey its straight to the MMA gym.

It's a splash-over effect from the greatness and brilliance of true American ingenuity.

Not sure about the rest, but in Quebec people fight more than in other places I know.

Not to be a dick, but we have a winner.

Uh yes plz take the time to shit on Canada, remember we only have 30million ppl here and we still have pumped out good fighters like GSP, Rory McDonald , Jordan Mein, Patrick Cote, Joe Doerkson , Jason McDonald and Ryan Ford, I'm aware that only one of those was ever champion however for how small are population is compared to "Murica" ( which sounds retarded) our output of fighters is pretty decent

Canadians love fighting. Why? I'm not sure. But we have been well represented in mma.

Uh yes plz take the time to shit on Canada, remember we only have 30million ppl here and we still have pumped out good fighters like GSP, Rory McDonald , Jordan Mein, Patrick Cote, Joe Doerkson , Jason McDonald and Ryan Ford, I'm aware that only one of those was ever champion however for how small are population is compared to "Murcia" ( which sounds retarded) our output of fighters is pretty decent

Don't get your panties in a bunch. It's not shitting on CAN... You may not like it, but TS should have more accurately titled the thread. "Why CANs are so good in MMA..." when in realism that's not a distinctly proven or accepted statement. Sure some excellent fighters have come from CAN, but debating the title is okay when it can be easily argued.

canadians are scrappier then most it seems but as far as mma goes were terrible when it comes to the numbers and quality. what we have is good i guess but i bet u theyre states that produce better fighters then our country as a whole. we dont have wrestling in our schools for the most part and martial arts in general isnt that common. what few fighters we have are usually pretty good (gsp, tj grant, ror mac, etc ). mma events also arent common at all. some provinces still have mma banned and most just allowed it recently. america has dozens of states that produce mma talent and put on events in canada if u wanna fight on or attend a decent show its gotta be in quebec or alberta

Is this a cultural thing? Like hockey or curling?

Canadians were widely regarded as the most fearsome troops in world war 2. Churchill and others have quotes reflecting this.

In my opinion (as a Canadian), while we do have big cities like Toronto and Vancouver, which would have gangs and violence, but in general Canadians get in a lot more fist fights than your average population.

Not a lot of guns, and a lot of "backwoodsy" locations where people solve their problems with their fists. In most of America, there is a fear of being shot or stabbed which just isn't present in Canada.

I bet rural Americans would notice this as I have "city friends" who weren't raised like me and find it odd that I am so ready to scrap. Coincidentally this is what led those city friends to suggest I start training MMA.

TLDR Canada is just closer to rural America and it's less of a "Canada vs USA" and more of a "City vs Country" kind of thing.

Not as many competing sports. Hockey is expensive. High school football isn't a religion up here and basketball and baseball aren't very big.

Plus the sport got really popular because of GSP.

It's only a matter of a month or so before the next Canadian champion is crowned and the Canadian flag raised - on July 4 weekend no less.

Terrance_and_Phillip_by_Ookami_Shikon.jpg

Back