Why Canadians are so good in MMA and WMMA?

Now what about people born in Utah, Colorado or Vermont?
the Toronto metropolitan area has more people than any of those states so it's a huge stretch to even try to compare any of them to Canada. But even at that Colorado has had at least two UFC champions, the same number as Canada.

Of course GSP was a greater champion than Bendo. GSP is great at MMA, no one doubts that, but Canada in general not so much. Fedor was great at MMA, but Russia in general not so much. One great fighter doesn't make a country great at MMA.

Now what about people born in Utah, Colorado or Vermont?
Who are we comparing them to? Colorado's had some good fighters:

Shane Carwin
Donald Cerrone
Brandon Thatch
Brendan Schaub
Cat Zingano
Duane Ludwig
Bob Sapp
etc.

Keep in mind Colorado has a population of 5 million, which is 1/7th Canada's population.

This is like the "per capita" argument that the British fans make to justify their under-performing whenever the Olympics come around.

The Brits under perform at everything. They invented tennis, host the biggest tournament in the world, and yet went almost a century without winning it. They invented soccer, have the richest league in the world, yet have only won a single World Cup, when they hosted.

They release all their pinned up anger that's been built up from being so nice all the time..

I train in Toronto, even though I am Russian.. and MMA scene here is pretty bad. There were only a handful standouts I have noted over 3 years of competing.

Good thing they weren't in my weight class ).

Hey man, just because you call a thread hilarious and end your post with "LOL" doesn't make your contribution any more/less valid than any of the other shitty opinions around here. If the reason that Canada is "good" at MMA (and I have to question whether that's even true, even from a relative standpoint, when compared to at least 10 other countries) is accessibility, then why is Brazil an MMA heavyweight? Note that I don't totally disagree with your point, clearly accessibility of MMA is a significant factor. But to say that it's the ONLY factor when the 2nd greatest contributor of MMA fighters probably lacks it is laughable. So, LOL @ your post, bud.

Nice overreaction to what was meant to be a simple opinion. BUD

What are you talking about? Here is a list of some of the best Canadian MMA fighters in history

GSP
Rory MacDonald
TJ Grant
Carlos Newton
Mark Bocek
Mark Hominick
David Loiseau
Dennis Kang
Patrick Cote
Sam Stout
Gary Goodridge

Now compare that to some of the best fighters from California (which has a similar population size as Canada).

Dan Henderson
Chuck Liddell
Tito Ortiz
Nick Diaz
Nate Diaz
Josh Thomson
Gilbert Melendez
Uriah Faber
Jake Shields
Cain Velasquez
Frank Shamrock
Ronda Rousey
Chad Mendes

You decide, but I'd say there aren't that many good Canadian fighters.

I like how you used the state with the most high level MMA Fighters. :icon_neut

California isn't exactly your average state when it comes to sports.

total%20olympic%20medals%20by%20state.jpg

Last edited:
Hey man, just because you call a thread hilarious and end your post with "LOL" doesn't make your contribution any more/less valid than any of the other shitty opinions around here. If the reason that Canada is "good" at MMA (and I have to question whether that's even true, even from a relative standpoint, when compared to at least 10 other countries) is accessibility, then why is Brazil an MMA heavyweight? Note that I don't totally disagree with your point, clearly accessibility of MMA is a significant factor. But to say that it's the ONLY factor when the 2nd greatest contributor of MMA fighters probably lacks it is laughable. So, LOL @ your post, bud.

You know what you just did to yourself, right?

The only difference between the tone of your post and mine was that mine was overtly aggressive while yours was passive-aggressive. Also, I'd just like to point out that Sherdog is an internet forum, so there isn't an onus on me to argue in any particular sort of way. I think that your argument is misguided and wrong, and that is my only point. From the outset, no one, including you, has presented an argument as to why Canada should be considered a country that is good at MMA. It makes no sense to speculate on reasons why Canada is good at MMA before that first step has been established or, at the very least, a good faith effort has been made.

First thing- You are right, you have no responsibility to anyone to state an argument in any specific fashion (whether on the internet or in day to day life) besides yourself. When your points are laced with unnecessary aggressiveness and 0 fundamental reasons for why they are correct then your argument doesn't stand to be convincing (and don't say you weren't trying to convince anyone, because if that were the case you would not have quoted my point in order to counter it). That was all I was pointing out.

Secondly- There was nothing passive aggressive about what I was saying. I was genuinely having a laugh while I was writing it. There was zero aggression (passive or other wise) in my quote. I genuinely enjoy reading other's thoughts on many things (especially when they differ from mine). It is the nature of what keeps things interesting and the sole reason why I enjoy spending time reading these forums.

Thirdly- Again to counter-point the second opinion you have given without providing substance for why you are correct; you say that no one has made a case for why Canada would be considered "good" at MMA. Here is a post from someone just half a dozen posts before yours (you may have been too incensed with my post to have read it)

Uh yes plz take the time to shit on Canada, remember we only have 30million ppl here and we still have pumped out good fighters like GSP, Rory McDonald , Jordan Mein, Patrick Cote, Joe Doerkson , Jason McDonald and Ryan Ford, I'm aware that only one of those was ever champion however for how small are population is compared to "Murica" ( which sounds retarded) our output of fighters is pretty decent

California has a population of about 38 million compared to Canada's 34 million. California has three current UFC champions in Cain, Dillashaw and Rousey. Not to mention former UFC champions like Chuck and Tito. Plus other notable champions from other orgs like Hendo, Faber, Nick Diaz, and Gil Melendez. Plus other top fighters like Mendes, Nate Diaz.

New York State has about 19 million people, but currently has two UFC champions in Weidman and Jones. Plus former champions like Matt Serra and Rashad Evans. Plus other "good" fighters like Jay Heiron, Villante, the Barn Cat, Dennis Bermudez, Al Iaquinta, and the New York Bad Ass himself, Phil Baroni.

So, nah, Canada's output of fighters isn't all that impressive (although Canada obviously has claim to one of the best ever).

Back