Why aren't there more teenage grapplers?

SeanOnTheMat

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this form, so I just wanted to introduce myself first - my name is Sean, and I'm a 17 year old blue belt in FL. I pretty much live and breathe judo, BJJ, and grappling and I try to compete whenever I have the chance.

Anyway, I've been practicing judo for a few years now and just recently started BJJ and have been at a bunch of different clubs in my area, but one thing I notice is that the people I train with are usually much older than I am (most are in their late 30's or 40's, but there's a few people in their early 60's too.) I really appreciate how helpful it can be to train with older people. A lot of times, they have a ton of competition experience and are always helpful in demonstrating techniques and stuff. But it's been tough finding people around my age who share the same interests in judo, BJJ, or even grappling in general. Pretty much the only time I meet people my age are at regional or state competitions, or the occasional teenager who starts training, but only stays for a few classes before quitting. Is this something that's common in most clubs? Or is the practically non-existence of teenage grapplers just something in my area (it is Florida after all, lol :) ) Anyway, thanks for your help, and I'll try to stay as active as I can on this forum - I've been reading it for months, but just now decided to join.

Thanks again.

- Sean

Easy there are much better things to be doing for a teenager. Drugs, girls, friends, etc. Not to mention many don't understand the appeal to grappling. The only reason I got into it is because I didn't want to end up like the Hapkido guy helpless in mount.

When I was a teenager -- actually I still am a teenager -- I was heavily into chess which was huge mistake. If I'd been studying this "jiu-jitsu" about the time I started studying chess, I'd be the putting Shamlocks on anyone who got near me. If I started boxing, I'd be dropping people left and right. Point is, many don't know about grappling so why do you think they get into it so late?

they are out there breaking the law and all that good stuff.. so they don't have time for grappling

b/c teens have plenty of sports to be a part of with their friends at school. most public schools don't really have any kind of martial arts club, and wrestling is the only thing really in the similar ballpark.

but most guys (like me) when they get in their 20s are looking for a new hobby. most sports you played in high school become just recreational, and only a few guys stay in college divisions or semi-pro leagues.

Im 17 every now and them someone about my age will start and usually drop out after about a month.

Maby if Mississippi had wrestling in school, we would have more teens trying to learn grappling.

I'm 17 in the Chicago suburbs, and apparently the only one who does MA, though I see too many guys wearing Tapout gear who can't hold a conversation about MA.

Im 15 and theres some other kids my age at my school, of course i tool them, but something about 20+ year olds that rape my face off.

I'm 17, you'd be surprised at the amount of teenage grapplers.

I'm 17.

Somehow I manage to find time for drugs girls and friends and stuff.

School... not so much.

Im 14 and I do BJJ, But yeah,Many of the reasons listed above are why there are few teenage grapplers.

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this form, so I just wanted to introduce myself first - my name is Sean, and I'm a 17 year old blue belt in FL. I pretty much live and breathe judo, BJJ, and grappling and I try to compete whenever I have the chance.

Anyway, I've been practicing judo for a few years now and just recently started BJJ and have been at a bunch of different clubs in my area, but one thing I notice is that the people I train with are usually much older than I am (most are in their late 30's or 40's, but there's a few people in their early 60's too.) I really appreciate how helpful it can be to train with older people. A lot of times, they have a ton of competition experience and are always helpful in demonstrating techniques and stuff. But it's been tough finding people around my age who share the same interests in judo, BJJ, or even grappling in general. Pretty much the only time I meet people my age are at regional or state competitions, or the occasional teenager who starts training, but only stays for a few classes before quitting. Is this something that's common in most clubs? Or is the practically non-existence of teenage grapplers just something in my area (it is Florida after all, lol :) ) Anyway, thanks for your help, and I'll try to stay as active as I can on this forum - I've been reading it for months, but just now decided to join.

Thanks again.

- Sean

what part of florida are you in?

I just realized there are only two teenagers at my entire academy.

In the judo scene here it is the opposite, loads of kids and teens not so many adults

I hate losing to tenagers :)

I wish there had been BJJ schools in my area when I was 17.

We have quite a few teenagers at our academy, most of them are pretty damn good!

I personally think it takes a certain level of maturity to enjoy grappling that a lot of teens haven't attained. I started training BJJ when I was 14 but stuck with it for maybe 4months. I think a lot of teens that age have a difficult time putting their ego aside to learn the sport/art.

And like others have said, there are so many other sports/things to get into at that age.

Im 15 and i do bjj and judo.We only have 4 other teenagers in my dojo.We get alot of teenagers joining and quitting in less then a month at the dojo.I compete in judo ad bjj and it seems to have more teenagers in judo tournaments.When I compete in naga or grapplers quest it seems to be alot of teenage wrestlers more then teenage bjjers.I think alot of kids get sidetracked by baseball,football,etc in school.i dont play any school sports but I train at the dojo 3-4 times a week all year round.My father trains and he got me started and I guess thats why I love it.But I have tried to get friends of mine to join and after one class they quit b/c its too rough for them.I think you have to be very mentally tough to grapple and alot of teenagers dont have that at our age.Its hard sometimes to commit yourself to training when I see my friends hanging out or my girlfriend talkin crap about me always being at the dojo.But I have made a mental commitment to myself that I am going to get my blackbelt and i know that it takes alot of time and dedication to achieve my goal.Im about to join the muy thai class at the dojo as well so I can get my striking up too.lol

Im 19 and although i had been training for a while before hand i really got into judo when i was early 17. At the time there were 5 teens my age at my club, im now the only one left. They all used to kick my arse, but i doubt they would anymore. For some reason i got into judo at the age most people seem to lose interest.

There are probably more teenage grapplers than adult grapplers, if you count all the wrestlers and judoka. My judo club has plenty of high school kids. Most people ONLY wrestle when they are teenagers.

BJJ is different, probably because it costs about $120 per month to train.

Back