Why aren't there more teenage grapplers?

Technically, he's not a "teen" yet because my brother is 12, but he simply can't get over the supposed "gayness" of grappling even though I've recently got him into watching MMA with me. It might take some time, but I'm working on him.

I'm 18 and the oldest guys in my club are 30 and 35. The average age for my club is around 20.

I'm 16 and right now and at my gym its just me a 14 year old (who im jealous of because he can make me tap sometimes) and two other 16 year olds. the rest are mid 20's - 40's

The reason there are far fewer teenagers than one would expect with an activity like bjj/sub grappling is that playing basketball at the park is free, and bjj is over $100 monthly.

Another reason is many teens are intimidated by the adults in class. Any where there is a kids program there will eventually be teens as well. Most kids programs are relatively new which means they haven't produced many teens yet. Ours has and yours will get there too, just probably not in time for you unfortunately.

A lot of academies are pretty expensive. Too much for many teenagers.

It's been brought up that BJJ and the like are actually very difficult compared to Karate and TKD. I guess it could have to do with the physical demand of the arts

We've actually had more teens join lately than adults (both Gi and No-Gi). In the past month or so, we've had about 7 or 8 teens start training (both guys and girls).

well some teenagers think that doing martial arts "isn't cool" and the fact that it is quite expensive probably doesn't help

martials arts and exersise is good for young people, it is very benificary for the society

of the streets and of the sugar. I am very glad to be living and doing judo in a non-profit social climate

Are all sports for kids for profit? little league?

Because high school wrestling is free and awesome, has lots of friends in it, and requires no transportation, whereas BJJ is expensive and awesome and usually requires a separate driving trip.

I love BJJ, but in high school I woulda wrestled. Though actually I did swim team and water polo ... also awesome, but in retrospect I'd probably have done swim team and wrestling as my combination.

i started when i was 15 and there was maybe 1 person my age. even at 20 there really arent many people my age. i think that to be a grappler you need to have a passion for it and be willing to take derogatory comments. also everybody wants to be bj penn after a month and teenagers have no attention span therefore if there is the slightest inkling of difficulty they quit.

Im just starting Judo... Im 15. Grappling wasnt too interesting to me a couple years ago... I was really into kickboxing, but Ive always liked Judo. Im the only person my age at the school. I dont plan on stopping training like most teens though.

I think most teens call grappling, wrestling, LOL, anyone whos going to take up anything like that in highschool is going to wrestle. Mainly because its free and a lot of kids start in junior high in america. Grappling just isnt a big thing here in America.

im 17 but a lot of the people at the place i train at are in the army so i mean they are abuot 18 or 19 or so
so i mean i guess it's not 2 bad.
idk i have 2 use my technique really well cuz those army people are pretty strong

im 17 but a lot of the people at the place i train at are in the army so i mean they are abuot 18 or 19 or so
so i mean i guess it's not 2 bad.
idk i have 2 use my technique really well cuz those army people are pretty strong

I just turned 18 and I've been training for about a year and for about a year there's been maybe 3-4 kids my age stop in and then quit a few weeks later.

Back