Why aren't there more teenage grapplers?

i bet money is a big part. my parents couln't have (or wouldn't have) paid for BJJ class. BJJ is pretty expensive.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VXNroQ1-dWs&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VXNroQ1-dWs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MUAHAHA! that was a fuckin funny vid.... but to answer your question kid, i would say lack of knowledge and lack of commitment would be the main reason why teenagers dont train

i mean most kids grow up playing football, baseball, basketball, etc... but most dont even know what grappling is until they watch TUF and decide that they wanna be "An Ultimate Fighter!" so they find a McDojo and start rolling to impress all the 16 yr old girls at school by calling themselves Mixed Martial Artists...

idk... i just thank god i was born in Brazil, and my brother started teaching me to JJ when i was about 13... i have him to thank for it, it pays to have a BJJ BB in the family!

I'm 19...started when I was 18 and we only have a hanful of teenagers at our gym.

its not the cool thing to do they want to do either full mma or boxing kickboxing etc. first day i wore a bjj shirt i got called gay pussy etc. even by the wrestlers next day i wore a cnymma shirt and all of a sudden i was this big toughguy. they just dont understand grappling and how cool it is they just want to punch people in the face and play toughguy to get girls. theirs a kid im good friends with that outside football season hes at the gym pretty much everyday theirs a kickboxing or ground fighting class and hes 16 so its all pretty much the ego thing.

I currently run a Mixed Martial Arts program at my high school. In the past, we have had upwards of 40 students (freshmen up through seniors) at practice in the past. And by the end of the season, each student will have grappled at least once (many for the first time in their lives) and I'm pleased to say that the vast majority have thoroughly enjoyed the experience and opportunity to do so.

lol @ "GET IN MY GUARD!!!"

KNOCK KNOCK
WHOS THERE?

KIMURA!!

hahahahahah classic

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this form, so I just wanted to introduce myself first - my name is Sean, and I'm a 17 year old blue belt in FL. I pretty much live and breathe judo, BJJ, and grappling and I try to compete whenever I have the chance.

Anyway, I've been practicing judo for a few years now and just recently started BJJ and have been at a bunch of different clubs in my area, but one thing I notice is that the people I train with are usually much older than I am (most are in their late 30's or 40's, but there's a few people in their early 60's too.) I really appreciate how helpful it can be to train with older people. A lot of times, they have a ton of competition experience and are always helpful in demonstrating techniques and stuff. But it's been tough finding people around my age who share the same interests in judo, BJJ, or even grappling in general. Pretty much the only time I meet people my age are at regional or state competitions, or the occasional teenager who starts training, but only stays for a few classes before quitting. Is this something that's common in most clubs? Or is the practically non-existence of teenage grapplers just something in my area (it is Florida after all, lol :) ) Anyway, thanks for your help, and I'll try to stay as active as I can on this forum - I've been reading it for months, but just now decided to join.

Thanks again.

- Sean

Do wrestling.

Im 16 yrs old and 118lbs and the closest guy to my weight in my gym is 140 haha! Most kids try it and think theyre gonna be a cage fighter after one standup class and one ground class and learn that its not that easy so they quit. Or they just do to many drugs haha.

Anyone have a problem with BRO's in your gyms?

a lot of teens in my school. squirely as fuck cuz they're lanky and skinny.

Because high school wrestling is free and awesome, has lots of friends in it, and requires no transportation, whereas BJJ is expensive and awesome and usually requires a separate driving trip.

I love BJJ, but in high school I woulda wrestled. Though actually I did swim team and water polo ... also awesome, but in retrospect I'd probably have done swim team and wrestling as my combination.

Nah man, water polo and wrestling is great cross training!

What position were you?

Back