Why Aren't 'Muscle Ups' Practiced In The Military?

Think his point was theres no benefit doing muscle ups compared to pull ups.Its more of a skill you learn like some gymnastic movement.
muscleups work more muscles than pullups, including core and chest. they are a more complete exercise. Easier on my tendons as well..

Push-ups are useless?

As it pertains to doing the majority of jobs in the military they are. I never had to knock out 42 or more push ups in succession in the performance of my regular military duties.

I have friends who were Frogs, RANGER, EOD, SWCC, and all manner of pilot or aircrew. Never have any of them regaled me with tales of how being able to do push ups was useful in real life, let alone operational or combat situations.

It makes more sense to have standards that test cardio and / or endurance like a 1.5 mile or greater run and move on to full body exercise or exercise based on a percentage of bodyweight or actual operational needs. A combat Marine needs to quickly buddy carry a wounded comrade 40 meters more than he needs to knock out 40 push ups.

The physical fitness standards in the military are already flawed in the sense that most of the exercises have nothing to do with anyone's actual job.

With that being said, what would a muscle up prove? How is that going to help mission/unit effectiveness?

Last edited:
As it pertains to doing the majority of jobs in the military they are. I never had to knock out 42 or more push ups in succession in the performance of my regular military duties.

I have friends who were Frogs, RANGER, EOD, SWCC, and all manner of pilot or aircrew. Never have any of them regaled me with tales of how being able to do push ups was useful in real life, let alone operational or combat situations.

It makes more sense to have standards that test cardio and / or endurance like a 1.5 mile or greater run and move on to full body exercise or exercise based on a percentage of bodyweight or actual operational needs. A combat Marine needs to quickly buddy carry a wounded comrade 40 meters more than he needs to knock out 40 push ups.

I get what you’re saying, and specificity is more important than general adaptations, but general adaptations still have a place IMO. To argue pushup(and push-up variations) are useless, is essentially arguing that most conventional resistance training exercises are useless.

Also, just because one doesn’t directly feel the carryover from an exercise to an activity of daily living/sport/etc, doesn’t mean it isn’t assisting in that activity, to some degree.

Muscle ups are an excellent way to prepare for climbing stuff, with it you would be able to perform actions such as the man in the video above.

I've watched loads of military training drills and never seen a soldier do a muscle up.

The Marine Corps pft standard used to only be 3 pullups at a bare minimum. Women didn't even have to do one.

If that's the physical standard across the board, you know damn well nobody is doing muscle ups as a requirement. Pretty pathetic minimum standard if you ask me.

you think its harder to do 20 pullups than 20 muscleups?

Yes I do - if the pullups are strict. Also doing muscleups puts a lot of torque and strain on your joints. It's like a gymnastics movement as the poster above said.

Really - the only reason people do them at the gym is to show off. It's stupid.

Muscleup tutorial.

The ULTIMATE type of pullup is the sternum pullup:

Well, most wouldn't want to talk about the banality of garrison life. Co and Bn Pt sucks. You can't open your stride and have to shuffle. That's why knees get wrecked.

It does make some sense though. If you can't do a good number of pushups do you really have the body strength and endurance to carry a wounded comrade 40 metres? If you don't have the discipline and motivation to get good at a basic body weight exercise how can you possibly be suitable for combat?

It does make some sense though. If you can't do a good number of pushups do you really have the body strength and endurance to carry a wounded comrade 40 metres? If you don't have the discipline and motivation to get good at a basic body weight exercise how can you possibly be suitable for combat?

Women are filling combat roles these days.

Yes I do - if the pullups are strict. Also doing muscleups puts a lot of torque and strain on your joints. It's like a gymnastics movement as the poster above said.

Really - the only reason people do them at the gym is to show off. It's stupid.

Muscleup tutorial.

The ULTIMATE type of pullup is the sternum pullup:

ive worked up to 20 strict pullups no problem, but still struggle to hit 20 muscleups. Interesting that you had the opposite experience. muscleups target more muscle groups than strict pullups, providing a near-complete upper body workout including chest, shoulders, and core. I prefer exercises that require explosive power and recruit as many muscle groups as possible.

Also, repping a lot of pullups aggrravates the tendonitis in my elbow, muscleups dont require as much elbow flexion and i never have elbow pain from them.

Last edited:
Muscle-ups are extremely demanding and require very specific training (except if you are just one of those dude who can do them spontaneously).

Many extremely fit people would have a very hard time learning muscle ups.
IMO.

Think his point was theres no benefit doing muscle ups compared to pull ups. Its more of a skill you learn like some gymnastic movement.
source for this? and LOL if you think gymnastic movements dont build incredible strength..

Back