Opinion Why Are You Voting The Way You Are?

Jesus is running for president? It is all over folks, God has got this in the bag.

Jesus would have no chance in a presidential election. Evangelicals would oppose his economic views, the alt-right would oppose his views on nationalism and borders, liberals would oppose his religiosity and views on science. The far left might back him, but only if they were sure he couldn't win.

lol at the idea of anyone voting in a general election based on that

It's one reason among many. Is it unreasonable to expect your elected leader, in the highest office of the land, to comport himself with dignity and decency? What kind of example does that set?

Do you tell your kids it's okay to name call and bully?

Because identity politics has always been most important to these people. Theyre also the first one to blame the other side for it. He’s also not ashamed, that’s just nonsense. Don’t believe that for one second.

Trump shares their resentments so they vote for him. It doesn’t matter if the bulk of his policies are regressive for America and the working and middle classes. That doesn’t matter as long as certain people can’t use a bathroom. Ballooning debt and regressive tax cuts for the 1% don’t matter. Cutting safety nets for elderly and children does not matter either. As long as trump shares their resentments on identity issues.
this.

I can't bring myself to support anyone who represents what the left has become these days. Even a vote for a more moderate leftist is a vote for the extreme left.

So you don't think it matters at all. OK.

I always thought that Christians were allies in that kind of thing, but I guess to some people, hating gays is the essence of Christianity.

Trump has supported a global initiative to decriminalize homosexual relations. If hating gays was the essence of Christianity for "some people" (your weasel wording) then it's obviously not many, otherwise Trump wouldn't continue to have strong support from Christians.

Sure I don't like Trump's style. But his opponents are people who want the government to punish people for not going along with revisionist concepts basic to human identity taught in the Bible (though not only taught in Christianity). His opponents want people punished by the government for not contributing to the celebration of occasions that their faith says are immoral. His opponents want third trimester abortions to be legal even if there are no complications threatening the life of the mother. In light of the alternative, it's laughable that anyone would suggest Christians shouln't vote Trump because he calls people mean names.

President Donald Trump is the leader we need to take on China. Beijing Biden is compromised big time. Americans are sick of the CCP, and our greedy establishment, that's all too happy to sell out our country for personal wealth and power. Beijing Biden is being backed by the pro-CCP democrat Mike Bloomberg and his billions, and that's the furthest thing from the kind of leadership we will need in the coming years as you can get. #BeijingBiden

Last edited:
I'm pretty moderate, with a slight left leaning. So Trump.

I always thought that Christians were allies in that kind of thing, but I guess to some people, hating gays is the essence of Christianity.

Trump brought LGBT acceptance to the Republican party.

190122164347-trump-lgbtq-flag-exlarge-169.jpg

Trump has supported a global initiative to decriminalize homosexual relations. If hating gays was the essence of Christianity for "some people" (your weasel wording) then it's obviously not many, otherwise Trump wouldn't continue to have strong support from Christians.

Sure I don't like Trump's style. But his opponents are people who want the government to punish people for not going along with revisionist concepts basic to human identity taught in the Bible (though not only taught in Christianity). His opponents want people punished by the government for not contributing to the celebration of occasions that their faith says are immoral. His opponents want third trimester abortions to be legal even if there are no complications threatening the life of the mother. In light of the alternative, it's laughable that anyone would suggest Christians shouln't vote Trump because he calls people mean names.

I think that you have some weird hangups about sexuality and that you're using religion to justify the views, but if one really reads the Bible, there's certainly some anti-gay stuff, but it's not nearly as central to Christianity as written as it is to your life.

But that's all a bit off topic. My point was that a lot of people think that the head of state role matters, and that having a president who models grossly immoral behavior, is comically immature, and shows no love of learning or care of his soul is a significant problem, and that a lot of Christians used to be part of that fight before choosing political tribalism over God.

Voting Biden because

Trump has absolutely no clue how to run a country. He can’t tell the truth, he is corrupt, shits on the constitution, has never read the constitution. Is the most incompetent person to ever hold office.

oh and I’ll never vote for someone who sides with Russia over the US

The Russia hoax has been exposed. Beijing Biden has clear ties to China and the CCP. He's been pushing a pro-China agenda for decades. #BeijingBiden
---
How China Controls Billionaires & Politicians

---
Why Joe Biden Defends China

---
Biden Stands Up For China

---
Committee on the Present Danger: China - https://PresentDangerChina.org/

Trump because
1. China policy
2. Economy, related to 1.
3. Muslim/immigration policy

President Donald Trump is the leader we need to take on China. Beijing Biden is compromised big time. Americas are sick of the CCP, and our greedy establishment, that's all too happy to sell out our country for personal wealth and power. Beijing Biden is being backed by the pro-CCP democrat Mike Bloomberg and his billions, and that's the furthest thing from the kind of leadership we will need in the coming years as you can get. #BeijingBiden

Who do you think is paying the tariffs? It isn't China. Trump is a fake populist.

I think that you have some weird hangups about sexuality and that you're using religion to justify the views, but if one really reads the Bible, there's certainly some anti-gay stuff, but it's not nearly as central to Christianity as written as it is to your life.

But that's all a bit off topic. My point was that a lot of people think that the head of state role matters, and that having a president who models grossly immoral behavior, is comically immature, and shows no love of learning or care of his soul is a significant problem, and that a lot of Christians used to be part of that fight before choosing political tribalism over God.

The "tribalism" is likely a reaction against a party that has become increasingly hostile to the church. Support for third trimester abortions was not a common position for Democrats decades ago. Now, as I previously documented in another thread, almost all the contenders to be the party's Presidential nominee supported it. Biden is a good example of how the party has become increasingly hostile to what many Christians perceive as their faith (abortion is not a big issue for me, but it is for many Christians). Do you think the Biden of the 1970s or 1980s could have gotten nominated? Heck, it wasn't until last year that he had to change his position on the Hyde Amendment to be a contender.

On sexuality, first it was decriminalize sodomy (good), then it was civil unions for gay couples (I'm okay with that), then it was marriage equality (eh... I'd prefer the government just get out of the marriage business altogether), now it's force people to bake gay wedding cakes, force people to let men adhere to women's dress codes and use women's bathrooms and locker rooms, let boys participate in girls sports and use girls bathrooms, and force insurance companies to cover 'gender reassignment' services.

The "tribalism" is likely a reaction against a party that has become increasingly hostile to the church.

I think it's the opposite, really, if you're talking about the direction of change. The GOP has become increasingly hostile to Christian beliefs, while Democrats have become increasingly accepting. Even 20 years ago, I think it would have been impossible for the Christian right to embrace a man like Trump. Different starting points, though.

Do you think the Biden of the 1970s or 1980s could have gotten nominated? Heck, it wasn't until last year that he had to change his position on the Hyde Amendment to be a contender.

Probably generally true that anyone jumping forward 30-50 years in time without changing any positions would have trouble in a presidential party. See above on Trump. One reason I think the recent trend in some corners of digging up old opinions and then declaring politicians unacceptable to be really dumb.

On sexuality, first it was decriminalize sodomy (good), then it was civil unions for gay couples (I'm okay with that), then it was marriage equality (eh... I'd prefer the government just get out of the marriage business altogether), now it's force people to bake gay wedding cakes, force people to let men adhere to women's dress codes and use women's bathrooms and locker rooms, let boys participate in girls sports and use girls bathrooms, and force insurance companies to cover 'gender reassignment' services.

I'm sorry, but this seems both A) really silly, and B) completely unrelated to presidential elections. Like, it's hard for me to address the point because I don't see the issues as even being worthy of attention. How many boys in the country have participated in girls schools? Three? Four? 10? Whatever harm one thinks came to the girls who had to try to kick a soccer ball past a male goalie really pales in comparison to the harm done by the GOP restricting access to healthcare for millions of people or pushing to allow more pollution.

I never knew you held the Evangelical right in such high regard.

Who do you think is paying the tariffs? It isn't China. Trump is a fake populist.

I know how tariffs work, and I support them 100%. They are essential to getting US business to pull out of China over a period of time. I support increasing tariffs on Chinese products, and using the funds to provide grants and loans to American companies that manufacture in the USA. The establishment and donor class won't like it, and that's why we need some unity outside the party establishment to get it done.

Tell Wall Street to Invest in America, Not Our Enemies!

Last edited:
It can be hard to find candidates that I can really get behind. I will probably vote Biden because I want Trump out of office. Biden doesnt have my actually support. Lesser of the two evils.

I think it's the opposite, really, if you're talking about the direction of change. The GOP has become increasingly hostile to Christian beliefs, while Democrats have become increasingly accepting. Even 20 years ago, I think it would have been impossible for the Christian right to embrace a man like Trump. Different starting points, though.

Probably generally true that anyone jumping forward 30-50 years in time without changing any positions would have trouble in a presidential party. See above on Trump. One reason I think the recent trend in some corners of digging up old opinions and then declaring politicians unacceptable to be really dumb.

I'm sorry, but this seems both A) really silly, and B) completely unrelated to presidential elections. Like, it's hard for me to address the point because I don't see the issues as even being worthy of attention. How many boys in the country have participated in girls schools? Three? Four? 10? Whatever harm one thinks came to the girls who had to try to kick a soccer ball past a male goalie really pales in comparison to the harm done by the GOP restricting access to healthcare for millions of people or pushing to allow more pollution.

What policies does the GOP support today that indicate increased hostility to Christian beliefs? Republicans have become increasingly accepting of government protection for people with preexisting conditions. They've supported freezing mortgage and student loan payments, giving businesses money that incentivize them to keep employees, and giving people $1200 all without demanding spending cuts in the name of fiscal responsibility. They've recently moved more towards the government strengthening people who need help (the Christian position).

Regarding transgenders, being able to act in conformity with fundamental truths is a basic condition for human flourishing. If the government is telling someone, "If Caitlin says the sky is green, then you have to act as if the sky is green", then the government is treating that person without the basic dignity he deserves to be treated with. At the point the government forces people to affirm nonsense it's stepped into the realm of totalitarianism.

Back