Media Why are we still in the APEX?

OldFashion

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

I don't like this dude but he's completely correct here. We barely get any fight nights in front of a crowd anymore and what we're served in the apex is utter garbage. I haven't watched a full fight night card in a long time. It has been killing my excitement for the sport.

Yeah APEX cards haven't been that interesting to me either. I don't think I have watched a full fight night card last year at all

Also just some advice, posting MMA guru almost never ends well on Sherdog.
I don't follow his channel or know much about him, but I have seen like 10 threads on him before and most were just negative reactions to him rather than discussing the thread topic

Because half of these cards arent worthy to sell tickets to - it would be utter disrespect to expect people to pay to go to some of these garbage cards

That said , I’d love to see them make cards better and always sell to a crowd !

APEX = UFC’s excuse to put out garbage while collecting that guaranteed ESPN money

Sure but it seems like they completely gave up on growing the sport because this isn't how you do it. You are robbing guys of great moments and highlights they would have had in front of a crowd which in turn promotes the sport and sells tickets etc. This ain't it

simple - its the UFC's facility. they own it, they dont have to pay costs to rent a facility, they can run the event however they want and its overall cheaper.
gotta fulfill those contractual obligations with ESPN! nuts to quality.

Guru usually does bitch too much but he's right in this case. the Apex is getting a bad name amongst the fanbase. it could be perceived by fans as the UFC being lazy and complacent and thats a bad look.

Yeah APEX cards haven't been that interesting to me either. I don't think I have watched a full fight night card last year at all

I don't follow his channel or know much about him, but I have seen like 10 threads on him before and most were just negative reactions to him rather than discussing the thread topic

I'm the first dude to shit on MMA Guru trust

They need a number of cards per year, and they have to work with whats available to them, as in willing to fight.

I remember when Dana said they were gonna move away from Apex events, pfft. Not only did they not start to move away from the Apex, they have more cards at the Apex than ever now. The cards are complete garbage and a waste of time too, it's a bunch of Dollar General fights.

Last edited:
Sure but it seems like they completely gave up on growing the sport because this isn't how you do it. You are robbing guys of great moments and highlights they would have had in front of a crowd which in turn promotes the sport and sells tickets etc. This ain't it
That’s why they use the APEX to throw all the trash fights that no one wants to see. If the UFC matchmakers were actually good at their job we wouldn’t have this issue.

APEX was great during the Pandemic because you could still have fight cards, but now it's just an excuse to pump out weekly dogshit cards. Would be better to have less cards and start doing smaller venues again.

simple - its the UFC's facility. they own it, they dont have to pay costs to rent a facility, they can run the event however they want and its overall cheaper.
gotta fulfill those contractual obligations with ESPN! nuts to quality.

Guru usually does bitch too much but he's right in this case. the Apex is getting a bad name amongst the fanbase. it could be perceived by fans as the UFC being lazy and complacent and thats a bad look.
Exactly, could you imagine if Bellator had kept holding events with no crowd after Covid? I know they don't have their own place, but I think they would have still went with crowds again. This is totally given the UFC a huge black eye. I don't even bother watching them for the most part, they turning the sport I love into shit.

Last edited:

I don't like this dude but he's completely correct here. We barely get any fight nights in front of a crowd anymore and what we're served in the apex is utter garbage. I haven't watched a full fight night card in a long time. It has been killing my excitement for the sport.

"Why are we still in the APEX?"

The business model has changed. The UFC is interested in quantity of cards/fights over quality. They can't have the APEX events in other venues because they wouldn't sell. The ESPN deal was a huge detour in the business model.

APEX = UFC’s excuse to put out garbage while collecting that guaranteed ESPN money

The hilarious thing is that some 'fans' get upset when you point out to them that the UFC doesn't give a fuck about the quality of their cards and have given up on expansion, content to just be lazy because they can.

And then these same fans go back to watching Marcin Tybura main event a card in an empty warehouse without it even registering.

Yeah the Apex events are dreadful for the most part, I'm sick and tired of them. Apex was only for Covid Lockdown.. we are long past that now. We need real arenas with real fans, the Apex is so flat, it just kills all the buzz. There is no energy and it just makes every fight look so unimportant.

The whole entire point of sports is its supposed to have fans and have lots of energy and excitement, the Apex just takes all of that away, its just the TUF set

Look at the last event UFC 297, from the very first prelim the fans were so loud, there was so much energy and buzz. When you remove real human beings its just flat and has nothing about it. I'm surprised more people don't complain about Apex, its hurt the UFC cards badly. The fights don't look important!!

Yeah the Apex events are dreadful for the most part, I'm sick and tired of them. Apex was only for Covid Lockdown.. we are long past that now. We need real arenas with real fans, the Apex is so flat, it just kills all the buzz. There is no energy and it just makes every fight look so unimportant.

The whole entire point of sports is its supposed to have fans and have lots of energy and excitement, the Apex just takes all of that away, its just the TUF set

Look at the last event UFC 297, from the very first prelim the fans were so loud, there was so much energy and buzz. When you remove real human beings its just flat and has nothing about it. I'm surprised more people don't complain about Apex, its hurt the UFC cards badly. The fights don't look important!!
Well said. The crowds bring the energy and hype!

Back