Why are UFC card fight orders so stupid?

Tim Means ain't done and he is a fan favourite. No reason for him to be there at least though?

I personally don't care if they do put him there. I'm not offended if they do. It absolutely makes more sense than a pair of HWs coming off losses right before the first title fight last saturday, but Means is a 37 year old fighter who's been about 50/50 for the last 5 years. Being the Prelim "main event" to boost the main card may be a good fit.

Brok Weaver (who, in full disclosure I've never heard of before) is on a 7 fight streak in his late 20s. He could really use that opportunity and that exposure, and he's been winning fights. Then again, by that logic Daniel Rodriguez (who's fighting means) you could argue the same thing for.

It's hard to decipher who they are going to push and why and as often as not it blows up in their faces, but I definitely don't think you should bury the up and comers to shine up guys on the decline.

That is fair enough. Tim means is headlining the prelim "main event". Even still there is no need for Dodson and Miller to not be on the main card. Brok fucking Weaver

Dodson is a sub .500 fighter over the last 5 years and he's 35 years old
Miller is a sub .500 over the last 3 years and he's 36 years old
Tim Means was raised in New Mexico, this card is in New Mexico. He just subbed fan favorite Thiago Alves in half a round.

Sounds like you're and old timer who's stuck in the past and aren't interested in developing new stars.

adams vs tafa on the main made sense, HW fight that have high chance of ending in a KO, i think that's the UFC reasonning and it's not wrong, people love HW ko

I personally don't care if they do put him there. I'm not offended if they do. It absolutely makes more sense than a pair of HWs coming off losses right before the first title fight last saturday, but Means is a 37 year old fighter who's been about 50/50 for the last 5 years. Being the Prelim "main event" to boost the main card may be a good fit.

Brok Weaver (who, in full disclosure I've never heard of before) is on a 7 fight streak in his late 20s. He could really use that opportunity and that exposure, and he's been winning fights. Then again, by that logic Daniel Rodriguez (who's fighting means) you could argue the same thing for.

It's hard to decipher who they are going to push and why and as often as not it blows up in their faces, but I definitely don't think you should bury the up and comers to shine up guys on the decline.
Brok Weaver is awesome and I am hoping he has success in UFC. But I don’t expect it. He had his hands full with his DWTNCS fight, and only got the nod because of his appealing extreme personality and small rabid fanbase. Still...

War Chata Tuska!

Seriously. Last week Juan Adams and Justin Tafa (both coming off bad losses) are below the Co Main on a Jones PPV? That's just last week.

This week - Brok Weaver vs Rodrigo Vargas, De La Rosa vs Mara Romero, Ray Borg vs Rogerio Bontorin are ALL in the main card ABOVE guys like Jim Miller, Tim Means (his hometown) and John Dodson, who are in the prelims. For real UFC? Fuck off.

Agreed 100%. Throw in wmma as co-mains, and these PPVs are for the birds.

They dont get a penny from me with these dogsh*t lineups.

Eh, at least it gave us a nice palate cleanser of a quick knockout before the title fights. A sort of JBG sorbet. I'll allow it.

Dodson is a sub .500 fighter over the last 5 years and he's 35 years old
Miller is a sub .500 over the last 3 years and he's 36 years old
Tim Means was raised in New Mexico, this card is in New Mexico. He just subbed fan favorite Thiago Alves in half a round.

Sounds like you're and old timer who's stuck in the past and aren't interested in developing new stars.
Except Dodson still has name value and is fighting the definition of a blue chip prospect in Nathaniel Wood. That is the exact kind of fight you should be putting as a co-main event to expose casuals to Nathaniel Wood.

Except Dodson still has name value and is fighting the definition of a blue chip prospect in Nathaniel Wood. That is the exact kind of fight you should be putting as a co-main event to expose casuals to Nathaniel Wood.
And an English guy no less. You already know Nathaniel would be co headlining fucking Bellator cards

This is a ESPN+ card. I don't think it matters too much.

I'm guessing they rather put prospects on the 'main card' over vets

Wasn't broke weaver just on Dana's show? Might be the reason he's on main card

Seems like since WME took over the cards have gotten weaker.

Alot of the cards lately have had generally very weak main cards, outside of co and main.

I remember when Rampage first appeared, he would open almost every Pride card...

You're about 7 years too late on John Dodson being any type of needle mover. Anybody that invested in him now won't have any problem watching early prelim fights.

You're about 7 years too late on John Dodson being any type of needle mover. Anybody that invested in him now won't have any problem watching early prelim fights.
He's not a needle mover. People just know who he is.

Like Diego Sanchez.

He's not a needle mover. People just know who he is.

"Nobody cares but maybe you've heard of him" sounds like a great co-main event. If anything you're making a strong case that he should be on the early prelims.

"Nobody cares but maybe you've heard of him" sounds like a great co-main event. If anything you're making a strong case that he should be on the early prelims.
Dodson deserves to be on the prelims. Wood deserves to be showcased.

You showcase a contender by putting them against a recognizable name.

Might be intentional.
Maybe the analytics have shown that the only thing that matters is having a good main-fight, a decent co-main fight, and a decent opening fight to the main-event - money-wise it doesn't make a difference who else is on the main card.

So then they might instead aim to get more hardcore fans to watch the prelims.

To a casual fan it might not matter who's the 2nd fight on the main card.

But a hardcore might always watch the entire main card - so the big thing might be to make them also watch the prelims.
This it might make sense moving some half-decent names fro the main-card to the prelims.

Last edited:
Back