News Why are there fewer serial killers now than there used to be?

Which 3 factors had the most significant impact in the decline of serial killers?

• More decisive criminal justice.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Cameras are everywhere,and internets/cell phone will betray you.

Cellphones keep guys entertained and jerked off... and mentally unstable people injecting crap in their bodies and forming huge tent cities.

I mean the old ways of doing it are too hard to get away with. There are new ways like that nurse that was killing babies in the NCIU.

I once heard that Serial Killers were children of war veteran who were dealing with the violent outburst of the PTSD fueled fathers or that the fathers did not make it and an abusive step father took their place.

Of course there are more cameras, stronger degree of stranger danger through documentary, movies and TV series. Also when it comes to interaction, its important to have a social media and cold approaching is less common and acceptable now. Usually people meet at a place or community, through dating apps or social circle.

Even with a cold approach, there is going to be an exchange of phone numbers and social media. Because of that, there is going to be a paper trail that would lead to an arrest in case of someone with malicious intent.

They're mass shooters now. Better question is why are they're so many mass shooters?

Ted Bundy always fascinated me. He killed all those women and they literally had no evidence that it was him. He got the death penalty because of bite mark evidence. Bite mark evidence is considered junk science now so if he had plead and got life he would be released now.

I don't know about the second death penalty he got.

He made mistakes by using his own car and name when introducing himself to victims.

Another thing is when he was arrested, he had a burglary kit. Ski mask, crow bar, flashlight, etc. but that wasn't him M.O. for the murders he was suspected of. His first murder and sorority murders were burglaries, but the rest were abductions. Makes you wonder which other murders he could've been involved in and if he a had multiple M.O.s. I don't think police consider that and I've never heard it addressed by media.

I once heard that Serial Killers were children of war veteran who were dealing with the violent outburst of the PTSD fueled fathers or that the fathers did not make it and an abusive step father took their place.

Of course there are more cameras, stronger degree of stranger danger through documentary, movies and TV series. Also when it comes to interaction, its important to have a social media and cold approaching is less common and acceptable now. Usually people meet at a place or community, through dating apps or social circle.

Even with a cold approach, there is going to be an exchange of phone numbers and social media. Because of that, there is going to be a paper trail that would lead to an arrest in case of someone with malicious intent.
/thread

They're mass shooters now. Better question is why are they're so many mass shooters?

Ted Bundy always fascinated me. He killed all those women and they literally had no evidence that it was him. He got the death penalty because of bite mark evidence. Bite mark evidence is considered junk science now so if he had plead and got life he would be released now.

I don't know about the second death penalty he got.

He made mistakes by using his own car and name when introducing himself to victims.

Another thing is when he was arrested, he had a burglary kit. Ski mask, crow bar, flashlight, etc. but that wasn't him M.O. for the murders he was suspected of. His first murder and sorority murders were burglaries, but the rest were abductions. Makes you wonder which other murders he could've been involved in and if he a had multiple M.O.s. I don't think police consider that and I've never heard it addressed by media.
They consider it. I believe he confessed to around 30 murders(or they confidently linked him to those cases), but they suspect he's in triple digits.

There has been an overall downward trend in all crime since the early 2000s. So my guess would be that the same factors that were responsible for that also led to a decrease in serial killers, along with all other types of killers.

Removing lead from gasoline so that children weren’t exposed to lead is a big part. The other big part was Roe v Wade. With abortion having been legal, there were a lot fewer unwanted children out there. Those unwanted children, along with those who are exposed to a lot of lead, end up committing crime at a much higher rate than other groups once they’re in their 20s.

I killed most of them.

Advances in forensics science and technology. They can probably get your DNA off a fart. Phones will get you caught really quick. You dont even need to use, just have it on you - it's still pinging the cell towers. After two murders, they can already narrow down the list of suspects a lot. After 10 they can probably get you based on cellphone geo location alone. You'd have to be extremely careful not to leave any traces behind.
Add surveillance to that. Back in the day, the killers were snatching their victims in their cars and all police could go by was "suspect in a white sedan". Now they'll get you right way.

Your bit about them being children of war vets with ptsd has some merit.
A psychologist mentioned to me once that there is a theory that war destroys 3 generations of a family. The initial children are harshly damaged by the parent with ptsd. That child grows up and is also not a great parent either.
The next child is often still damaged by his upbringing and things swing back to normalcy in child raising by the 4th gen.
Obviously not all, but it was a very interesting theory and considering we have had considerably large numbers of people affected by WW1, WW2 and Vietnam it could be the case.

I'd also throw in less stringent religious attitudes and more open attitudes about sexuality. These have changed a lot in the last 80 years.

Because now I can just murder people in GTA VI, instead of risking the biscuit in real life :rolleyes:

Appreciate it but one thing to add is that we have more distractions like video games and adult movies as an outlet of releasing anger and frustration which to a degree renders them less inclined towards destruction. While in the 70s and 80s, these guy would drive around and look for prey while now, an evil dude is probably would get bored to look for prey and probably too glued in his phone to really search for a victim.

Your bit about them being children of war vets with ptsd has some merit.
A psychologist mentioned to me once that there is a theory that war destroys 3 generations of a family. The initial children are harshly damaged by the parent with ptsd. That child grows up and is also not a great parent either.
The next child is often still damaged by his upbringing and things swing back to normalcy in child raising by the 4th gen.
Obviously not all, but it was a very interesting theory and considering we have had considerably large numbers of people affected by WW1, WW2 and Vietnam it could be the case.

I'd also throw in less stringent religious attitudes and more open attitudes about sexuality. These have changed a lot in the last 80 years.

Interesting theory about the 3 generation but it does make sense. The kids from the first generation would also probably have prejudice for towards whatever country their fathers warred with and then second generation would probably try to learn from the bad behavior of their dad and what their granddad went through while their kids will probably be far removed from that hurt.

Great point on religious attitudes and sexual openness. I have always thought this as well. As someone who sells adult toys and products, I noticed that this stuff really helps people relieve whatever stress they have or engage and explore the hedonism without guilt, shame which leads to anger and rage.

Also someone mentioned abortion and avoid making unwanted children. That does make sense as harsh as it sounds, its not fair to the kid to be brought in to an environment with odds morbidly against them.

Back