Why Are The Diaz Bros So Beloved?

fake for their market. The fact is the Diaz brother's have given tons of times to try to help the kids from their neighborhood to avoid being in gangs.
upload_2021-9-23_14-1-56.jpeg

I didn’t like them at first and still get annoyed at times with their drama queen attitudes and I kinda prefer Nate over Nick but they’re real and don’t make a phoney personality like most fighters do. They always come to fight.

Pot smoking white boys who consider themselves "gangsta" love them, for obvious reasons.

I kind of get it for Nick. He has this natural aura and had very good hands.
Nate on the other hand, I never understood. He is like a try-hard, discount Nick. Super cringe trying to act like some rapper and flexing all the time. He is also not very good.
I think it’s because of his time on TUF

They are natural born fighters, they have an in your face personality, they are both moderately to highly successful in the sport, Nick is an MMA OG, they are both tough as nails, they both are anti establishment and love weed. Their overall demeanor and personality is kind of unique compared to other fighters. Both usually put on a good fight no matter who they are up against.

it caters to a wide audience.
Good post mate, well said.

I remember when he knocked out Robbie but I thought he was just tough. It wasn’t until the Gomi fight that I really grew an appreciation for Nick.

Because I thought Nick was gonna be cannon fotter for Gomi. I knew who Gomi was but Nick absolutely went to war with Gomi and toppled him, then finished him with a GOGO…when Gomi was still Pride champion!
I’ve always liked the Diaz bros but I was a huge fan of Gomi and fully supporting him that fight. I remember watching it on my own and applauding when he locked in that gogo. Stood toe to toe with him, took absolute bombs from Gomi and didn’t flinch and twatted him back. Then finished like that, an absolute epic fight and a hell of a performance from Nick.

because teens think its cool when your entire personality is built around smoking weed and mumbling

You're right. They're not gang bangers, and they don't flash gang signs. Of course they're not "in a gang"; that's a stupid idea that took hold of fans who watched too many movies.

They do flash "209" signs. They're proud of where they're from.

Or, did. I haven't seen them do it in a long time. (In fact, have they thrown the 209 since they stormed out of the arena after Nick v Noons 1 in 2007? Did Nate throw it during his antics with Conor??? I honestly don't know; I don't watch the buildups anymore.)

They're more like the guys who are around the block who never actually joined a "gang", but have friends who did, and live by the same basic codes and ethics; #1 always back your homie, #2 don't talk to cops, #3 never back down, #4 earn respect, give respect, demand respect, #5 fuck you.

I can get behind this. Legit would throw up 209 signs in pics as a joke

#2 is also super valuable. Lawyer up and shut the fuck up

Because most Sherdoggers adore dumb stoner types who "don't give a fuck". They are also fun to watch.

The truth is Diaz is a 38yo entitled manchild who acts like a 13yo entitled brat.

He hasn't won a fight in ten years, lost his last three, hasn't fought in six, changed weight classes a week prior, and acts as if he is entitled to a title shot and feels the world owes him, even though he's a multimillionaire under 40 getting insane opportunities, having binge partied for the last decade.

Reactions: mon
if you watch mma and you don't like the Diaz brothers then you gotta go buddy

I have absolutely nothing in common with the Diaz brothers and yet I've mostly enjoyed their antics. However, I'm not blind to how ridiculous they are at times and I can completely understand why many find them easy to dislike. Overall I think MMA was made better by their presence.

Its not complicated, Its the way they fight. They have an old school mentality. They come to finish their opponent by knockout or submission. Even in the last seconds of a fight where they are winning and can just run the clock or coast, they are coming forward trying to finish their opponent. Almost every single fight Nick wins is by finishing his opponent and almost every fight he loses is by decision. Same for Nate.
Yeah, and they create a whole narrative around that style of fighting. In a way it reminds me of the old school Gracie talk surrounding their fights.

because teens think its cool when your entire personality is built around smoking weed and mumbling

Oh bullshit. Nobody would know who Nick Diaz was if he wasn't a fighter and likewise his popularity wouldn't be any different if he didn't smoke weed and everything else remained the same.

These guys are popular because they stand and trade with anyone and rarely back down. They don't look for cheap, point fighting wins like lay n prayers or fighters who like to put on slap and run marathons.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if you noticed, but everyone has their limitations. Not everyone can sound like some well-spoken robotic Jon Anik clone, and I'd rather listen to someone who sounds the same whether they are giving an interview or talking to you one on one. In other words, you may buy in to all those fake ass celebrity faces that people put on when they are in front of a camera, but not everyone likes it. Some people just aren't well spoken and it probably has more to do with insecurity than anything else.

If you have to ask you simply do not feel it and you never will.

And I will add, NONE OF IT IS AN ACT. They are the most honest fighters in the sport.

Now, they may be misguided. Fans may disagree with conclusions they arrive at. But they aren't full of shit.
This is true unless they lose a fight. Then they start pouring on the excuses as to why they really won because the other fighter didn't play into their strengths. It's entitled and insulting to their opponents and usually not even remotely rooted in reality.

Still a fan, but I could do without the excuses.

Reactions: mon
This is true unless they lose a fight. Then they start pouring on the excuses as to why they really won because the other fighter didn't play into their strengths. It's entitled and insulting to their opponents and usually not even remotely rooted in reality.

Still a fan, but I could do without the excuses.
Doesn't that fall under my “fans may disagree with the conclusions they arrive at” umbrella?

EDIT:

No, I hear what you're saying. I guess I already start at a place of "I don't judge fighters to harshly". So it's easy for me to give Nick leeway when he does something like look at GSP in the post fight presser and say "I know I can beat you" (after getting outclassed for 24 of 25 minutes).

But my point was more, Nick wasn't lying. Unlike Conor, Chael and many others, he's honest. He honestly believed at that moment he could beat GSP.

It was a bit classless to say that right then. But hey, one denies that Nick Diaz lacks grace ;) GSP, btw, showed lots of class and grace at that moment, by not changing his expression and moving to the next question.

Last edited:
Back