Why are so many people scared of heights?

people are afraid of heights because the higher you go, the closer you are to God and heaven.
and that's terrifying due to God's propensity to rain fire and brimstone on m'fers, smiting entire civilizations, or murdering first born sons. so yeah, you better be afraid.

People are not scared of heights, but they are scared that they would jump.
Heard that in a movie.

I once though about jumping from 12 story building. I could have done it from the open window

I hate heights unless I'm attached to something. That could simply be attached to a parachute, as long as it's something. Rappel towers before I'm tied into the rope are terrifying to me.

I think it has to do with the inner ear, feeling balanced. Like when you get older roller coasters are no longer fun.

Because you have no control on your way down if you fall .even if you wear a parachute some thing can fail and there you are alone tumbling to your death . If you miraculously make it then you are in shark filled waters or bear filled woods either way its that loss of control and uncertainty that makes it frightening . No good scenerio from falling from great heights .

Everyone at work is. I don't get it. What exactly are you afraid of if you are on something sturdy? That what you're standing on is going to disappear? I understand being scared of spiders or snakes because they could come after you and bite you but why heights? One guy I work withstarts shaking if he has to get on a 4 foot ladder. Wtf?

you can't be serious with this question. it's plainly obvious as to why.

One of my worst memories regarding height is when me and my younger stepbrother sneaked out on the roof on our apartment building . It was a twelve story high building and he decided to sit on the edge of roof and just dangle his legs and feet in air. It still haunts me to this day.

Because you fall you die!! accidents happen all the time. I am sure accidents convermin heights has claimed over a million lives.

I like roller coasters but I don't like heights especially if I am not secured to anything. And for some reason rock climbing walls with the safety gear and all still bothers me when I get high up.

Because most of the people in history that weren't afraid of heights fell and died before having children.

It's called behavior evolution.

The guy that's scared of four foot ladders completely loses his ability to think when he has to get around heights. He got in a position where he had to climb up an 8 foot a frame ladder once and he was so flustered he climbed up the side with the supports not the side with the steps. One broke and he fell and broke his wrist

The guy suffered a severe injury due to falling and you don't understand why he's afraid of heights?

It's like asking why someone who was struck by lightning runs inside during a thunderstorm.

Why are you not?

I honesty struggle to watch videos like this. I'm not deathly afraid of being off the ground but I freely admit to having a fear of heights. For example, I used to work construction with my father. When we would do roof work, I'd be lugging shingles up to the roof. Once I am on the roof and can't see the ground, I'm fine but the ladder up is shaky.

This one is brutal for me to watch. I have to turn away several times.

This is my point if you're on something sturdy what are you afraid of

One of the first things they asked me when I was interviewing for the job I have is if I'm scared of heights. To me 30 or 50 feet up isn't much of a height, I don't get uneasy being that hight, but working on a bridge or tall building might make me feel different. I would have to get up there and see.

I like being high.

I honesty struggle to watch videos like this. I'm not deathly afraid of being off the ground but I freely admit to having a fear of heights. For example, I used to work construction with my father. When we would do roof work, I'd be lugging shingles up to the roof. Once I am on the roof and can't see the ground, I'm fine but the ladder up is shaky.

Normally these videos don't bother me, but all the weird angles in that one messed with me.

My fucking god dude. Why would they make climbing that tower so damn hard and unstable... Not even a proper ladder

The guy suffered a severe injury due to falling and you don't understand why he's afraid of heights?

It's like asking why someone who was struck by lightning runs inside during a thunderstorm.
He fell because of his irrational fear of heights. It prevented him from using sound judgement

Back