Why are so many people scared of heights?

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Everyone at work is. I don't get it. What exactly are you afraid of if you are on something sturdy? That what you're standing on is going to disappear? I understand being scared of spiders or snakes because they could come after you and bite you but why heights? One guy I work withstarts shaking if he has to get on a 4 foot ladder. Wtf?

Accidents happen all the time. It's totally a good idea to peak out on a cliff or start shaking railings on patios because they are sturdy. Maybe climb a ladder with one hand

Cuz death.

I'm not afraid of falling. I'm afraid of landing.

I am very scared of heights.

For example I went to 6 flags this year and they have a ride that you sit in and it lifts you 500 feet in the air then drops you.

I'm not scared of going down, I was terrified going up. I panic and freak out. I had to grip the bars extra tight.

Also going on the Water tube slides you have to walk up alot of steps. Looking down or being close to the edge freaks me out. Kids would stand over the edge and look down and that alone terrified me.

#bitchmade

But oh well, I'm man enough to admit it.

I'm not afraid of falling. I'm afraid of landing.
Reminded me of La Haine

La_Haine_-_Blog_spot-5.png

Because fear isn't rational.

It's not like i want to be afraid of heights , my brain just reacts in fear. It's called fight or flight mode.

Fucking heights.

Why the hell do you start shaking/getting worse balance and stuff tho? How is that supposed to help my survival?

I'm not scared of being up high, but when I look down it does freak me out if I'm like way up. One of the few instinctual reactions I have had my whole life. Fire also freaks me out. The idea of burning to death is pretty scary, IMO. I'm not afraid to die and I guess I'd be OK with either falling to death or burning (mainly falling, lol, I'd like to avoid burning!) but I do have the reaction against them. I feel like that's just an archetype that everyone, or almost everyone, taps into.

You're supposed to be scared of heights. Heights can kill a brother.

Because of the ground and it's lethality.

This is honestly a pretty dumb question. People fear lots of things that are only harmful in rare cases.

Fucking heights.

Why the hell do you start shaking/getting worse balance and stuff tho? How is that supposed to help my survival?
The guy that's scared of four foot ladders completely loses his ability to think when he has to get around heights. He got in a position where he had to climb up an 8 foot a frame ladder once and he was so flustered he climbed up the side with the supports not the side with the steps. One broke and he fell and broke his wrist

I work with a cherry picker everyday. I'm ok with heights as long as it's sturdy I'm good.

because it triggers uncomfortable anoos feelings

I work with a cherry picker everyday. I'm ok with heights as long as it's sturdy I'm good.
This is my point if you're on something sturdy what are you afraid of

same reason why people are afriad of corpses.

Idk why I'm afraid of heights. I just am. I'm terrified. I can't even watch people rock climbing on TV. Remember when that guy tight rope walked across the Grand Canyon? I had to fast forward to the end to see if he made it. I went parasailing on an 1800ft rope years ago and it still makes my stomach drop when I think about it. I'm glad I did it though it was bad ass.

Question for TS-- have you ever had ANY fears at all? And if so, what good does it do you to have had them (why)?

Your answer should also likely answer the premise of your entire thread, which I find absurd
(nothing personal)

Back