Why are russian wresting so much better than american wrestling?

I would imagine the Russian farm system advances the elite athletes when they are still very young.

Same thing with China. Communism has its advantages.

Where in America you still have free will and can train however you want, in China and Russia you are FORCED to train and advance at your athletic skill. And if you child is accepted at one of the athletic schools, then the family he came from gets perks.

Which is Russia. They are not granted their independence, yet they are not liked in Russia. Sort of like the Palestinians to Russia's Israel

Yet, nobody refers to the Palestinians as Israelis, as you have just illustrated.

well, most american's start out training folkstyle wrestling, and do so for many years. Only a few transition to freestyle and greco, later in life, if they're serious about competing on the world stage. I suspect that other places teach their children freestyle and greco from the start, though i am not 100% sure.

qft!

Russian wrestling is an offshoot of Combat Sambo which is taught to Russian soldiers. American wrestling is not taught as a self defense technique and is a pure sport, so it's not as aggressive as its Russian counterpart.

No. Just ... no. You got it all wrong.

Wrestling is one of the "biggest" sports in Russia. Combat Sambo was born from a military project that combined wrestling, judo and boxing.

I was a huge Oleg Taktarov fan in the day, but I don't see any top ranked Russian wrestlers in the UFC (that I can think of).

I would imagine the Russian farm system advances the elite athletes when they are still very young.

Same thing with China. Communism has its advantages.

Where in America you still have free will and can train however you want, in China and Russia you are FORCED to train and advance at your athletic skill. And if you child is accepted at one of the athletic schools, then the family he came from gets perks.

God you are a dork

wrestling, sambo and judo are big in Eastern European culture (just like boxing in England, Judo in France etc...)

My 2 cents for less than its worth: Russians primarily train sambo which can be tricky for a guy like vinc pichel only training american style wresting and jiu jitsu. (I'm guessing here, sorry vinc if you are a sambo master). Not too many sambo coaches in the US.

Well, most American's start out training folkstyle wrestling, and do so for many years. Only a few transition to freestyle and greco, later in life, if they're serious about competing on the world stage. I suspect that other places teach their children freestyle and greco from the start, though I am not 100% sure.

This is wrong. Most americans start off with freestyle, which you can do starting at 5 years old. You can't start folkstyle until about 13 years old in middle school. Most non-wrestlers only know of the school sponsored folkstyle competitions that's where the misunderstanding comes from. A notable difference is there are no teams in freestyle. You wrestle the kids from your own gym if you're the same weight and age.

Really? How many top level Russian wrestlers are there in MMA?

Dude, I didn't say top-level Russian wrestlers. Russian wrestlers are all top-level in comparison to American wrestlers. The top Russian wrestlers go to the Olympics and they fucking dominate everyone. They don't wanna fight in MMA. But then, some guys like Gatsalov wanna follow in the footsteps of Karelin and at least try fighting in MMA and M-1 scoops them up before they even get a chance to fight in the UFC.

Anyways, there are young gems who are coming up. Nurmagomedov, Saadulaev, Khabilov, etc. And once MMA really blows up over there, many will also join the sport.

Dude, I didn't say top-level Russian wrestlers. Russian wrestlers are all top-level in comparison to American wrestlers. The top Russian wrestlers go to the Olympics and they fucking dominate everyone. They don't wanna fight in MMA. But then, some guys like Gatsalov wanna follow in the footsteps of Karelin and at least try fighting in MMA and M-1 scoops them up before they even get a chance to fight in the UFC.

Anyways, there are young gems who are coming up. Nurmagomedov, Saadulaev, Khabilov, etc. And once MMA really blows up over there, many will also join the sport.

I recall that the Gastalov rumours turned out to be bullshit. Anyway, I meant legitimately good Russian wrestlers and there aren't very many in MMA. As I said earlier in this thread, if MMA does get big there, maybe some of the top Russian wrestlers will want to make the transition and then we'll see some real quality. Right now, they don't have any top wrestlers competing in MMA (that I know of). The best wrestler to attempt a transition as of late was Yoel Romero but he is fairly old and wasn't training with anything resembling a legitimate camp before facing a nightmare style matchup for a green wrestler in Feijao.

russian are more fun to watch period in every aspect of the sport they just bring it they have a kill or be killed mentality that no other country brings into a fight

What? There are fighters from all over the world that fight with a kill or be killed mentality, not just Russians. Just because you have only seen 'exciting' Russian fighters does not mean there isn't an equal amount of boring ones.

We see it with Brazilians as well. They are supposedly brought up fighting, with this kill or be killed mentality, yet we have a lot of Brazilian martial artists that have lack luster performances.

Back